Page 1 of 2
I've started guitar since Last september.
I do not have a tutor for guitar.
I've been learning by myself.

I've gotten better at sweep picking, but I'm too lazy to record again.

Rate 1~10.
And leave some Feedbacks as to what I can improve on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zveEvc7NyAc
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
You're getting way ahead of yourself, both in terms of the speed you're capable of and the techniques you're trying to learn.

Stop learning these advanced lead ideas and make sure you have a solid grasp of all the basics.

More specifically: You fret hand position is poor, you have notes bleeding into each other along with some dead notes in places, you appear to have no vibrato and you're rhythmically inconsistent.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Sep 8, 2009,
lol. canon in d HAHA.

but yeah. you need to clean it up.
practice it slowly. best advice. and btw awhen you do the b sweep after the d major its a b-minor not a b major.your doing it wrong.
Classical Guitarist
^
This.
You're not playing the technique right, nor are the notes all correct. If you want to keep sweeping, fine. But do yourself a favor and use a clean setting and a metronome until you can play it perfectly at a slow speed. Then speed up the metronome a little tiny bit (like 2 bpm). Then get it perfect at that tempo. Then speed it up a bit. Do you see a pattern? Good.
it doesn't seem like you have any fundamental problem with your playing that will prevent you from getting the technique down. you just need to practice more.
Well in this video, I'm only showing one type of sweep, I know it's improper [Tabs].

Any tips on getting rid of the bits of sound left from releasing my fingers?
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by whoahesgood
Well in this video, I'm only showing one type of sweep, I know it's improper [Tabs].

Well that can be fixed my putting a hair tie at the end of the neck, but before the headstock (The nut, I believe?)

But that's the cheap way. The true way to do it is by learning how to sweep pick cleaner.

This wasn't as horrible as people in here are making it out to be, because sweep picking doesn't really sound great anyways. It covers too many notes.
Quote by whoahesgood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc

Seriously, also adjust your fret hand technique, for this kind of material your thumb should be in the middle of the back of the neck and, in my opinion, your fingers should be slightly less bunched up.

Also... more metronome work it needed, you are rhythmically inconsistent within the sweeps, especially on the top notes of each arpeggio.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Pretty noisy really, I say practice on the clean channel with no reverb or anything.

And listen to Zaphod..for real

And you've only been playing a bit over a year, just like me..I'd say forget sweep picking for now and work on your rhythm guitar skills and basics like timing and counting (that is, if you haven't already). Also learn some theory which you can find from either the crusade articles or Zeguitarist's guide to guitar.
Last edited by Rave765 at Sep 8, 2009,
Hmm, I think I should of stated that I used full Delay :S

Yeah.
I need to work on the rythmic level.
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
You've only been playing for a year so you shouldn't be rushing into advanced techniques, everyone is open to learn what they want when it comes to guitar but its all about getting the basics solidly down before advancing with lead guitar, as for your sweeping you've got the idea, but try to coordinate your hands more and number one thing is to keep it clean so keep practicing and you'll get it
Quote by drawnacrol
You've only been playing for a year so you shouldn't be rushing into advanced techniques

^
This.

I didn't start looking at sweeps until I had been playing for about 5 years.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Well, the only reason I'm doing sweep picking, is because I'm learning Canon Rock.
I'm learning the song because it's the reason I got interested in guitar.

Other than that, I shouldn't have a reason to learn it yet.

Based on the video, are there any other improvements I can make?
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
If sweep picking or that song of whatever is what you're most interested in, by all means learn it. But just know that after that you'll have to learn basics like alternate picking.

When you use the metronome, you should only move the speed up if you can play it PERFECTLY. Don't try to reach your desired speed all in one sitting. Move it up only once or twice a day.

Nice guitar BTW
I hate my sig
Quote by whoahesgood
Well, the only reason I'm doing sweep picking, is because I'm learning Canon Rock.
I'm learning the song because it's the reason I got interested in guitar.

Other than that, I shouldn't have a reason to learn it yet.

So what? The song that made me get into guitar was Dream Theater's "In the Name of God" but do you thing that the first thing I did when I got a guitar was try to learn that? I worked up to it. Start with some easy stuff first. If you just try to play something like sweeps after such a short time, sure you will eventually get them. But why not get better at some easier techniques first? Do some chords and scales and stuff like that. It will all help you learn sweeps. Once you get really accurate with those other techniques, you will be more accurate with sweeps.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
For about a year of playing theyre not that bad ,ive heard worse than guitar players who've been trying them for ages after years of playing. Its not really an essential technique but you should learn whatever you want to learn. If you enjoy playing sweeps ,learn them but starting off by getting your legato ,vibrato or even 3 string shapes at first will help you. When you get these down nice ,those big 5 string sweeps will come quite easily.
Quote by Junior#1
So what? The song that made me get into guitar was Dream Theater's "In the Name of God" but do you thing that the first thing I did when I got a guitar was try to learn that? I worked up to it. Start with some easy stuff first. If you just try to play something like sweeps after such a short time, sure you will eventually get them. But why not get better at some easier techniques first? Do some chords and scales and stuff like that. It will all help you learn sweeps. Once you get really accurate with those other techniques, you will be more accurate with sweeps.

This.

When I first started guitar I wanted to learn how to play Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd, in its full, right away but I worked up to it by progressively learning harder songs and practicing techniques.

I finally was able to learn it after about 2 years of playing and I can play it much better than I could if I learned it right away..
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
Fate is your deciding God
Last edited by DragTheWaters11 at Sep 9, 2009,
Actually uh.

I didn't say I right away started Canon Rock as soon as I picked up the guitar..

Matter of fact I'd be a fool if I attempted Canon Rock as soon as I began guitar.

I obviously started with the easiest, then medium, then to higher levels, in a Long period of time.

I recently started Sweeping, I haven't been sweeping for a year, I've been practicing sweeps for about a month now.

I think I can do 3 string sweeps properly..But I'll post one up soon
I need as much feedbacks I can get, so I can know I'm on the right track.
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Yea ive been playing for 2 years and just starting to learn sweeping now.
Gear:
ESP LTD ALEXI-600
Dunlop DB-01 Dimebag Crybaby From Hell
Digitech RP-90
Marshall MG250DFX

24/7
Quote by whoahesgood
Actually uh.

I didn't say I right away started Canon Rock as soon as I picked up the guitar..

Matter of fact I'd be a fool if I attempted Canon Rock as soon as I began guitar.

I obviously started with the easiest, then medium, then to higher levels, in a Long period of time.

I recently started Sweeping, I haven't been sweeping for a year, I've been practicing sweeps for about a month now.

I think I can do 3 string sweeps properly..But I'll post one up soon
I need as much feedbacks I can get, so I can know I'm on the right track.

I'm not saying that Canon Rock is the first thing you worked on. I'm just using that as an example. What I'm saying is that It's way too early for you to be working on sweeps. You've only been playing for a year. There is still a lot of other things that you should work on first. And don't try to tell me that you are awesome at all the other techniques and all that was left was sweeps. I've been playing for close to 10 years and I can admit that some of my techniques still need a lot of work. There's no way that anyone is ready for sweeps after just one year.

And besides, sweeps aren't that important. They're great to know and all, but unless you are playing neo-classical metal or speed metal, you probably won't use them too much.
Quote by Geldin
It's not that bad. At least you're not a 'first note, last note guy'. But yeah, metronome... and another thing i noticed that might slow you down in the long run is how much your pick is giving way. I would choke up and tighten the grip on my pick. Might have to use a thinner one so it will naturally give. Everyone has a different preference, but I think it'll slow you down.
Quote by whoahesgood

Damn you picked that up a lot faster than me. It took me about a year but I made sure I played every single note without going too fast, I worked up to 32nd notes slowly.
Quote by Junior#1
I'm not saying that Canon Rock is the first thing you worked on. I'm just using that as an example. What I'm saying is that It's way too early for you to be working on sweeps. You've only been playing for a year. There is still a lot of other things that you should work on first. And don't try to tell me that you are awesome at all the other techniques and all that was left was sweeps. I've been playing for close to 10 years and I can admit that some of my techniques still need a lot of work. There's no way that anyone is ready for sweeps after just one year.

And besides, sweeps aren't that important. They're great to know and all, but unless you are playing neo-classical metal or speed metal, you probably won't use them too much.

Alright thanks for your help, but I don't think we're on the same track here, you clearly don't know what I'm saying.
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by QuantumMechanix
If sweep picking or that song of whatever is what you're most interested in, by all means learn it. But just know that after that you'll have to learn basics like alternate picking.

When you use the metronome, you should only move the speed up if you can play it PERFECTLY. Don't try to reach your desired speed all in one sitting. Move it up only once or twice a day.

Nice guitar BTW

Quote by drawnacrol
You've only been playing for a year so you shouldn't be rushing into advanced techniques, everyone is open to learn what they want when it comes to guitar but its all about getting the basics solidly down before advancing with lead guitar, as for your sweeping you've got the idea, but try to coordinate your hands more and number one thing is to keep it clean so keep practicing and you'll get it

I don't get why everyone assumes that if your practicing some "advanced technique" that you can't possibly be practicing other things too. Just because you're practicing your sweeps doesn't mean your not practicing alt picking, chord transitions, learning theory, using scales to improv, and so on and so forth.

You can get better at everything, and it is actually better for you to practice a variety of things rather than just spending all your time on one or two things.
Quote by whoahesgood
I've started guitar since Last september.
I do not have a tutor for guitar.
I've been learning by myself.

I've gotten better at sweep picking, but I'm too lazy to record again.

Rate 1~10.
And leave some Feedbacks as to what I can improve on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zveEvc7NyAc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7m3aIuGlUg&feature=related

Watch that video and try to get as close to his technique as you can.

Also, your picking technique is, sorry to say this, completely wrong. Your pick shouldn't be flopping around like it is. It should be a very small and precise movement. And make sure you mute with the palm of your hand.
Quote by Junior#1
^
This.

I didn't start looking at sweeps until I had been playing for about 5 years.

You're wrong IMO.. people are different from each other..
I can sweep and i started playing last year..
There are so many talented people that in such a short time can do amazingly well techniques such as legato that make their sweepin much easier (I'm not talking about me obviously)

to TS.. the difficult part of sweeping isn't the motion.. it's to play it at tempo and clean.. You're getting out of tempo and you have to clean it a lot more..Try going slower or try another thing and then come back to sweeps in a couple of months
Last edited by IHeartMyCrybaby at Sep 10, 2009,
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
You're wrong.. people are different from each other..
I can sweep and i started playing last year..
There are so many talented people that in such a short time can do amazingly well techniques such as legato that make their sweepin much easier (I'm not talking about me obviously)

to TS.. the difficult part of sweeping isn't the motion.. it's to play it at tempo and clean.. You're getting out of tempo and you have to clean it a lot more..Try going slower or try another thing and then come back to sweeps in a couple of months

Listening to the clip on your profile... you can't.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Listening to the clip on your profile... you can't.

I can.. I didn't say I could sweep amazingly clean and fast and perfectly.. I got my first electric guitar this year.. and I think I'm doing pretty well for the time i've been into guitar..

In my first post i just gave my opinion.. i really don't care if you agree with me or not I'm really curious about how you did at your first year Mr Mäenpää ..
Last edited by IHeartMyCrybaby at Sep 10, 2009,
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
I can.. I didn't say I could sweep amazingly clean and fast and perfectly.. I got my first electric guitar this year.. and I think I'm doing pretty well for the time i've been into guitar..

In my first post i just gave my opinion.. i really don't care if you agree with me or not I'm really curious about how you did at your first year Mr Mäenpää ..

You're disproving your own point. Don't say it's good for people to learn advanced techniques after such a short time playing. You're a prime example. Been playing one year, you 'learned to sweep', and don't sound that great. You haven't 'learned' something until you can be musical with it. Slop isn't musical. Sure, you're making progress, but some pretty intense shedding is required to clean up sweeping, especially when there's muting problems, etc. like in yours.

TS: your sweeping is sloppy. Slow it down. Work on useful things, too.
The sweep picking technique that I did, I had a feeling I wasn't doing it correctly.
But don't people have their own picking techniques for sweep picking

I've seen a couple of videos, some people do it a certain way, some people do it another way.
So the correct way you're talking about is, have the pick more firm and up straight kind of a thing right..?

And I am muting
I guess I need to work on muting when I go back down.
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
^And yes, you're muting but something's not being done right.. which makes the sweep sound choppier and less clean. It's natural though, most people are the same way when they first start.

Quote by timeconsumer09
You're disproving your own point. Don't say it's good for people to learn advanced techniques after such a short time playing. You're a prime example. Been playing one year, you 'learned to sweep', and don't sound that great. You haven't 'learned' something until you can be musical with it. Slop isn't musical. Sure, you're making progress, but some pretty intense shedding is required to clean up sweeping, especially when there's muting problems, etc. like in yours.

TS: your sweeping is sloppy. Slow it down. Work on useful things, too.

I think it's less that he learned it too soon, just too fast. So your point has some holes in it also.

I mean, I started learning how to sweep not a month after I started playing, but I practiced it and took it slowly for two years.
Last edited by DragTheWaters11 at Sep 10, 2009,
Quote by DragTheWaters11
^And yes, you're muting but something's not being done right.. which makes the sweep sound choppier and less clean. It's natural though, most people are the same way when they first start.

I think it's less that he learned it too soon, just too fast. So your point has some holes in it also.

I mean, I started learning how to sweep not a month after I started playing, but I practiced it and took it slowly for two years.

Exactly. I'm just saying if he can't do it properly, he shouldn't try to be an example of 'you can play for a little time and sweep'.
Quote by timeconsumer09
Exactly. I'm just saying if he can't do it properly, he shouldn't try to be an example of 'you can play for a little time and sweep'.

Okay.

Well the way I read your post I thought you were saying "You're playing fast but don't know how to sweep correctly" or something like that. ehh. Whatever. I don't exactly remember what I thought you said. All I know now is what you said what correct, he did learn too fast.. but not too soon. Ahah! That's what I thought you were saying.. I thought you were saying "You learned it too soon."

Aye.
Quote by timeconsumer09

Dude.. I think you all misunderstood what I said.. (probably I just didn't say what i was thinking because I fail in English)

I was trying to say that some people are capable of mastering advanced techniques in a short period of time so it's just not right to say don't try now IMO.. I horribly fail and I KNOW it's gonna take years to master my sweeping technique..
Quote by timeconsumer09

Oh, and by the way he never said he was advanced in the art of sweeping. He said (obviously not talking about me) in case you didn't notice.
Quote by DragTheWaters11
Oh, and by the way he never said he was advanced in the art of sweeping. He said (obviously not talking about me) in case you didn't notice.

I just tried to help TS.. I guess I shouldn't even give advice.. I'm not posting a **** more about sweeping
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby

I see what you did there but you will notice I never made any claims about what I can do.

Secondly; you suffer from the same problems as TS; it's sloppy with dead notes and muting problems all over the place and quite bad rhythmic inconsistencies.

Stop trying to out-play yourself and stick to a speed at which you can actually do something well - fast is worthless if it sounds bad.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Why do all these people who just started out (yes, 1 year on is still a beginner imho) start sweeping, after not even heving played a year?
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Page 1 of 2