So, a few friends and myself have decided to start a band. We have a guitarist/ vocalist, another guitarist/ vocalist who plays a bit of piano, a bassist/ painist, and a bassist (who, by the way, would not be playing at the same time, obviously). But the problem is, we do not have a drummer, and there are literally none where I live who have experience.

Our options are to have me, someone who plays guitar and sings, to take o drumming as a full time thing, and find another guitarist. Our other option is to find someone willing to take up drums from scratch.

What, in your opinion, is the best option? If you have other thoughts, ideas, please mention them. Thanks much.
Dont sig me, bro!

Quote by Unourrit01
i love you.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lulstack?
keep the bassist as bass full time, the pianist/ bass as drums, both guitarists as they are, they can pick up piano duty when needed.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Learn drums yourself. You and the other singer can trade vocals or you can back him up. Get the pianist/bassist to play keyboards to fill out the empty guitar spot. See ya on MTV.
One idea I've always had but never tried, (maybe you could experiment with it during a practice), use a program like Hydrogen or Acoustica Beatcraft to write a drum part, export it as an mp3, put it on an ipod, hook it up to a PA and use that as your drums. I can foresee some problems with that as far as live performances go, but it can potentially help you until you find a person to play for you.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Quote by shmikeyboy
Drum machine?

Almost never work out.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
I've been in a similar situation with my own band. There are 4 of us and one played bass and the rest played guitar. So what we simply did was because we couldn't find any drummers, all three of us went to guitar center and started playing on their drums. I sucked, the other guy was okay but the third guy had a good sense of beat and was decent. So what did we do? He bought a drum set and we got a drummer, and he's vastly improved and is actually pretty good.

Probably won't work in similar situations 9 times out of 10 but it's worth the shot. And think of it this way, if you have a drummer who can play guitar, you have another guy who can come up with stuff.
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
There will be zero tolerance
Fate is your deciding God
Quote by DragTheWaters11
I've been in a similar situation with my own band. There are 4 of us and one played bass and the rest played guitar. So what we simply did was because we couldn't find any drummers, all three of us went to guitar center and started playing on their drums. I sucked, the other guy was okay but the third guy had a good sense of beat and was decent. So what did we do? He bought a drum set and we got a drummer, and he's vastly improved and is actually pretty good.

Probably won't work in similar situations 9 times out of 10 but it's worth the shot. And think of it this way, if you have a drummer who can play guitar, you have another guy who can come up with stuff.

This is pretty much how my band was. All 4 of us were guitarists, but I'd played my brothers old kit for a few months about a year ago, and was the only one who could play fairly well, so I took on drumming.

TS, may I ask what style of music you play? Because if you're playing simple music, it shouldn't be too hard for one of you to take up drumming, it seems to me that most people pick up drumming faster than playing guitar/bass. This obviously won't work if you're playing technical death metal...

The point is, you have 2 guitarists, 2 bassists, 2 vocalists and 2 piano players, so any of you could take up drumming and you would not need to find more members. Just see who has the most potential for drumming, and of course find out who would want to do it, and you'll be sorted.
Quote by Mephysteaux
One idea I've always had but never tried, (maybe you could experiment with it during a practice), use a program like Hydrogen or Acoustica Beatcraft to write a drum part, export it as an mp3, put it on an ipod, hook it up to a PA and use that as your drums. I can foresee some problems with that as far as live performances go, but it can potentially help you until you find a person to play for you.

Exactly what I do when I am between bands. When I get the need to play live, I can do open mic by myself or with a friend without having to worry about filling out the rest of the lineup.

For the "solo" with virtual band moments, I use backing tracks with drum/bass (occasional tracks I find have vox) for cover. I've also used H2 to do orignal recordings, and those I've also converted to drum/bass backing tracks.

BTW, if you have the "Rock Band" drum set, you can do a drum kit emulator so you can make your own digital beats. You can then pump those into a PA/amp as desired. www.andrewrudson.com has one.

All of the above tides you over until you get the real thing, which is pretty much required if you plan on getting serious and playing live. If you just want to write some tunes for now, be patient and find someone dedicated to the drums with some experience.

TS, may I ask what style of music you play? Because if you're playing simple music, it shouldn't be too hard for one of you to take up drumming, it seems to me that most people pick up drumming faster than playing guitar/bass. This obviously won't work if you're playing technical death metal...

The point is, you have 2 guitarists, 2 bassists, 2 vocalists and 2 piano players, so any of you could take up drumming and you would not need to find more members. Just see who has the most potential for drumming, and of course find out who would want to do it, and you'll be sorted.

We play Alt Rock like RHCP, and a bit of Soft/ Modern Rock. Thanks for all of these great suggestions btw
Dont sig me, bro!

Quote by Unourrit01
i love you.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lulstack?
Quote by soundgarden19
Almost never work out.

I use a drum machine for some stuff, I wouldn't knock it.

Then again I use it for Beck/LCDsoundsystem-esque stuff.
Quote by HarrisonB
We play Alt Rock like RHCP, and a bit of Soft/ Modern Rock. Thanks for all of these great suggestions btw

Aha no problem

If you're only playing soft/modern/alt rock it shouldn't be too hard for one of you to take up drumming, as long as you don't expect too much of the new "drummer" at first.

Have any of you tried drums since I last posted? Is anyone any good?
Quote by kaptink
I use a drum machine for some stuff, I wouldn't knock it.

Then again I use it for Beck/LCDsoundsystem-esque stuff.

Yeah, but I'm thinking about Smashing Pumpkins drum machine era.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
can any of you write drum parts?

my band has the same problem. instead of just waiting to find a drummer i write drum parts in guitar pro, export as midi and put it in pro tools to use with BFD lite. then i export just the drums and use them as backing tracks. it also works well to record to instead of a metronome.

http://
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro