I've been contemplating getting some used gear for a while, and I'm stuck on one issue.
Reliability. While buying used does seem like a good deal for me, my confidence in random Ebay users is lacking at best. I know that some people will just not buy used gear, and that some people often do, but has anyone had some problems such as amps breaking down in, say, a month, and think they can attribute it to the previous owner? Since you would not have the warranty you could get with new gear, this would be a problem. (Though, getting a broken amp in the first place would be different, since there are many items with a short-term return policy)

The item I'm looking into specifically, at this point, is the Vetta (combo or head), but I think this would be good to know in general as well.
I've read some reviews on harmonycentral and such, but I'm not sure whether I could consider the Vetta reliable, as there are plenty of mixed reviews. If you have any personal opinions about the Vetta in general, that would be much appreciated as well.
Thanks.
just look at how manyhtings they've sold, then they're rating. people rate how well the person does business, the condition of the goods they have received even down to how long it takes for them to ship.

eBay can be a very nice place to buy, i got roughly 80% of my pedals from eBay. you just have to be careful. Caveat Emptor.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
generally stay away from ebay as alor of the time they use official press release photos not actual ones, look on craigslist and local papers and then go try it and then you'll know if it is going to last
Well....

If-

Its the pic of the actual item
and
The seller has over 95% feedback

I don't see how anything bad could happen. You are taking a risk buying off eBay, but then again, if there were alot of scams, no one would use eBay, would they?

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
Well....

If-

and

I don't see how anything bad could happen. You are taking a risk buying off eBay, but then again, if there were alot of scams, no one would use eBay, would they?

someone tried to scam me, but as long as you use paypal they will get your back
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by jc349
Well....

If-

and

exactly. for every person who has troubles, there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of transactions that go smoothly. plus, people always bitch and exaggerate about the bad times they've had. when's the last time you ever heard someone rant for an hour about how nice their service was at a restaurant :p?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
In the history of my guitar playing experience, I have only bought two things Brand New. That was my first electric guitar and my first amp.
After that, everything has been bought used (excluding cables). My first tube amp was bought used off Craigslist (out of state)and shipped to me. All of my pedals have been bought off of Ebay or Craigslist, and when I buy off of Craigslist it is never in my hometown. I always ask if they can ship, and they (almost) always do, and the item always works. Same with Ebay. I have never received a defective used item. The one thing I make sure to do with Craigslist is have them take at least 2 or 3 detailed pictures, and I ask a lot of questions. If they answer all the questions, seem to know what they're talking about, and send me pictures, I'll buy from them with no doubt in my mind. With eBay, I do basically the same, but it's also much safer because of Feedback. LOOK AT FEEDBACK. Like "jc349" said, make sure it's a picture of the actual item and the feedback is at least above 95%. I usually stick with feedback above 97%, which is not hard to find.
So, basically, used gear is a great way to go. Cheaper, sometimes already upgraded, and you may be helping the middle to lower class people out; hurray!
Ebay:

Past sales of good quality equipment
High rating (think 98+)
REAL pictures
Highly detailed description and not the cut and paste they offer you.

Craigslist

Ask questions over the phone if possible
Arrange for the possibility of shipping
Real photos

And if all else fails use your gut, if it tells you somethings wrong get out.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
To give you a better idea, I've gotten two used guitars, two used tube amps, six used pedals, used EMG's, locking tuners and one used attenuator. Everything worked/works. If I had gotten these brand new, I would've spent at least $500 more by now.
Sorry for ranting, but I believe in used gear. It's much cheaper if you take the time to look around. Granted, you may not get that warranty, but ask the person before you buy what problems they have had in the past/how long they've had it/if they bought it used and you shouldn't have any problems with it attributed to the previous owner.
Buy used for less.