Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for a good versatile pickup that can do Extreme metal but is also versatile. I'm trying to upgrade from a Dimebucker (which is only good for down tuned metal). My budget is around $200. I don't want active pickups.
Bareknuckle pups... Or the Invader. >>.>>

But whats wrong with the Dimebucker you have? You seemed to like it in your NGD post. Dont let that prick get to ya. Hes kinda gettin on everyone ive noticed.
Hmm... you just got me a warning for saying the Dimebucker is awful, and now you're admitting they aren't good?!

I'd recommend DiMarzio Air Norton and Tone Zone.
If anything, try to find a real Bill Lawrence, but Im pretty sure Dimebuckers are really high output
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by nickdohle
Bareknuckle pups... Or the Invader. >>.>>

But whats wrong with the Dimebucker you have? You seemed to like it in your NGD post. Dont let that prick get to ya. Hes kinda gettin on everyone ive noticed.

No no no, you got the wrong idea. I love the Dimebucker for my metal playing, it is just that it isn't versatile enough for my other styles that I play. I'm a big Dire Straits fan and I love playing their stuff and other styles. The Dimebucker is only for one stylem which is metal. I'm looking for a more versatile pickup.
Quote by herman ri2
No no no, you got the wrong idea. I love the Dimebucker for my metal playing, it is just that it isn't versatile enough for my other styles that I play. I'm a big Dire Straits fan and I love playing their stuff and other styles. The Dimebucker is only for one stylem which is metal. I'm looking for a more versatile pickup.

Oh!!! Ok. Now that makes some since there!!! Thanks for clearing it up!! Check out Seymour Duncan JB 59 and some other pups. Theyre pretty versatile
Quote by mamosa
Hmm... you just got me a warning for saying the Dimebucker is awful, and now you're admitting they aren't good?!

I'd recommend DiMarzio Air Norton and Tone Zone.

I like the Dimebuckers but they aren't versatile enough for the style"s" I play. Maybe, you getting a warning is a karma saying "If you don't have anything good to say then stfu, n00b!"
Quote by nickdohle
Oh!!! Ok. Now that makes some since there!!! Thanks for clearing it up!! Check out Seymour Duncan JB 59 and some other pups. Theyre pretty versatile

They're versatile, but not great at any one thing. So I'd advise against them.

TS, The D-Sonic and D-Activators are also great pickups, and the D-Sonic is the most versatile pickup I've ever tried.
Quote by mamosa

TS, The D-Sonic and D-Activators are also great pickups, and the D-Sonic is the most versatile pickup I've ever tried.

Does the D-sonic have great heavy metal tones?
Now he can be an ass, but i must say, most the time mamosa knows his stuff, so id definitely consider his opinion.
Yes, it does. The D-Sonic is splittable, and can sound like a strat, a tele, as well as the rock and metal stuff. DiMarzio makes great pickups for metal.

Quote by mamosa

Michael Amott used the JB/59 combo in all his old guitars before he moved to Dean and he has awesome metal tone, I'd say they're pretty damn good at that.

... and what does Chris Broderick have to do with DiMarzio pups?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Michael Amott used the JB/59 combo in all his old guitars before he moved to Dean and he has awesome metal tone, I'd say they're pretty damn good at that.

... and what does Chris Broderick have to do with DiMarzio pups?

Chris Broderick uses DiMarzios. And Amott uses custom Randall amps. So unless TS has a custom Randall amp, I'd say not to get the JB/'59 combo.
well i have a d sonic in my xiphos and it is the best pickup i have had
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by mamosa

i feel sorry for you mamosa, but thats actually pretty funny to tell you the truth. (remember when we could never agree with anything?)

anyways, to add to the thread, you're definately going to want to check out Dimarzio's. they're really great.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
i feel sorry for you mamosa, but thats actually pretty funny to tell you the truth. (remember when we could never agree with anything?)

anyways, to add to the thread, you're definately going to want to check out Dimarzio's. they're really great.

Oh, it's definitely funny. I appreciate the humor here. But before he raves about the Dimebucker, I kind of flame him for it, then he comes here and says they aren't versatile enough for him, he needs to swap them. Definitely funny. I got warned though. So it's annoying too.
Quote by mamosa
Chris Broderick uses DiMarzios. And Amott uses custom Randall amps. So unless TS has a custom Randall amp, I'd say not to get the JB/'59 combo.

Broderick has used BKPs and SDs for just about all the material anyone's heard up until the leak of Endgame and up until Doomsday Machine Amott was using a regular 6505, in fact Amott hasn't used his signature head for any recording I'm aware of apart from possibly the new album of classic tunes re-recorded.

If we're going to go on about the other gear people have shall we not ignore the ENGL rig that Broderick plays through as well? Not to mention the huge amounts of production on any given studio album.

I am in no way trying to downplay DiMarzio, they do some damn good pickups but at least get your facts straight.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by mamosa
Oh, it's definitely funny. I appreciate the humor here. But before he raves about the Dimebucker, I kind of flame him for it, then he comes here and says they aren't versatile enough for him, he needs to swap them. Definitely funny. I got warned though. So it's annoying too.

i read that thread. didn't post in it. but i saw what you said. and you're pretty much right.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Broderick has used BKPs and SDs for just about all the material anyone's heard up until the leak of Endgame and up until Doomsday Machine Amott was using a regular 6505, in fact Amott hasn't used his signature head for any recording I'm aware of apart from possibly the new album of classic tunes re-recorded.

If we're going to go on about the other gear people have shall we not ignore the ENGL rig that Broderick plays through as well? Not to mention the huge amounts of production on any given studio album.

I am in no way trying to downplay DiMarzio, they do some damn good pickups but at least get your facts straight.

Broderick has been endorsing DiMarzio for over a year now. And yes, he does play through ENGLs.
Amott played SD JB/'59 through a 6505 (you may be right about that, I just remember he had a sig amp so I thought he played it) but as most people here say, an amp is 90% of tone (I disagree, but whatever).

But if, and this is just conjecture, TS doesn't have an amp that can EQ and whatever to sound great and versatile, then he needs pickups that are versatile, correct? So my point was not that JB/'59 can't do metal, but that they don't do metal as well as other pickups when it comes to a situation like this.

EDIT:
Quote by randomhero93
i read that thread. didn't post in it. but i saw what you said. and you're pretty much right.

Thank you. But I have a warning
Quote by mamosa

I raved about them because they were good for metal. There is no humor here except that you still don't get it. I still think that the pickups are good for my metal playing.

Non-versatile pickup=/= bad pickup. Do you understand now?
Quote by mamosa

Thank you. But I have a warning

it aint your fault. will a hug make you feel better?
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by herman ri2
I raved about them because they were good for metal. There is no humor here except that you still don't get it. I still think that the pickups are good for my metal playing.

Non-versatile pickup=/= bad pickup. Do you understand now?

I'm not as stupid as you seem to think I am. I get what your point is.

Now, even assuming that I am buying that you really do think they're good pickups and you just need something more versatile (helpful hint: I don't), but the fact is you want to replace them. And I do think that a pickup that can only play dirty is a bad pickup.

EDIT: ^ yes. Yes it will.
Quote by mamosa

better?

anyways, i know this is a little off topic, but i might be scoring a SD JB pickup for about $20
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by randomhero93

better?

anyways, i know this is a little off topic, but i might be scoring a SD JB pickup for about $20

Much better. And that's a nice score. It's a good pickup, but as the phrase goes, jack of all trades, master of none.
Dear mamosa:

TS: I'm with mamosa on this one, too. I put some Dimarzios on my Ibanez S670PB and I love them.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by mamosa
I'm not as stupid as you seem to think I am. I get what your point is.

Now, even assuming that I am buying that you really do think they're good pickups and you just need something more versatile (helpful hint: I don't), but the fact is you want to replace them. And I do think that a pickup that can only play dirty is a bad pickup.

Dude, seriously, I had enough of you talking. I think you not commenting anymore in this thread would help more than you commenting in it. I think that some people are getting fed up with you (helpful hint:me) and are tried of you talking. So, just do the best thing and just stop commenting.

Thanks.

EDIT: randomhero93, please take it somewhere else.

Quote by Wulphy
Dear mamosa:

TS: I'm with mamosa on this one, too. I put some Dimarzios on my Ibanez S670PB and I love them.

What model of pickups?
Last edited by herman ri2 at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by herman ri2
Dude, seriously, I had enough of you talking. I think you not commenting anymore in this thread would help more than you commenting in it. I think that some people are getting fed up with you (helpful hint:me) and are tried of you talking. So, just do the best thing and just stop commenting.

Thanks.

EDIT: randomhero93, please take it somewhere else.

You're the only person fed up with me. Everyone else seems to be enjoying my presence. And I gave you helpful advice, remember?
Quote by mamosa
Much better. And that's a nice score. It's a good pickup, but as the phrase goes, jack of all trades, master of none.

just prayin that i don't get too outbidded. i'm gonna try to go for the snipe. (yes, goin for ebay)

EDIT: sorry TS. got a little carried away.
Quote by pedromiles101
Last edited by randomhero93 at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by mamosa
You're the only person fed up with me. Everyone else seems to be enjoying my presence. And I gave you helpful advice, remember?

Yes, I appreciate your help earlier but now you're just getting a [insert something]. You and randomhero93 are just derailing the thread while I'm trying to get recommendations.
Quote by herman ri2
Yes, I appreciate your help earlier but now you're just getting a [insert something]. You and randomhero93 are just derailing the thread while I'm trying to get recommendations.

You are correct.

Okay, back on track. As I said, D Sonic is a great pickup, consider it heavily.
Quote by herman ri2

i did kinda contribute. and then i appologized in my last post. bye
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by herman ri2

What model of pickups?

D Activator-X in the bridge and the neck, and I haven't replaced the single coil just yet.

EDIT: For the record, they SCREAM, and I can go back and play lighter stuff and they sound amazing.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Last edited by Wulphy at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by mamosa
he needs pickups that are versatile, correct? So my point was not that JB/'59 can't do metal, but that they don't do metal as well as other pickups when it comes to a situation like this.

That almost my point; the JB/59 combo is hugely versatile, people in just about every genre use this pup combination and they can do metal perfectly well with the right setup. Of course they don't do metal as well as other pups but in this case they do metal more than well enough while also being very good at all kinds of other things.

FYI: TS has a line6 Flextone, with a bit of tweaking you can get some damn good tones out of that.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That almost my point; the JB/59 combo is hugely versatile, people in just about every genre use this pup combination and they can do metal perfectly well with the right setup. Of course they don't do metal as well as other pups but in this case they do metal more than well enough while also being very good at all kinds of other things.

FYI: TS has a line6 Flextone, with a bit of tweaking you can get some damn good tones out of that.

I get your point. You are correct. But IMO, the D Sonic is also versatile and gets better metal tones, while being good at other tones. And it's good split. It's a humbucker that when it's split actually sounds like a single coil. Which is rare.
well im gonna come in here and say that the dimebucker is the worst pup i have ever played, and that is not a joke. get a dsonic and you may see what i mean
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I've actually played through some guitars with Dimebuckers and they aren't bad pickups in my opinion. They are high output, so what you might want to do is try turning the bridge volume down when you are playing stuff more like Dire Straits. This will lower your output from your pickup, giving it a decidedly different sound.

Really though, pickups are kind of something that you have to listen to and decide what you like yourself. However, you can look at the specs for some of them and get a general idea of what they will sound like. For example: if a pickup has a low d.c. resistance and a high resonance peak, you know that it will be a lower output pickup, giving it a brighter sound. Generally, the higher the resonance peak, the cleaner and brighter the tone that a pickup will have.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by mamosa

I think you're a huge douche and everyone who supports you are just a bunch of sheep. In fact, they're probably the same sheep that jump down the throat of anyone who mentions a Spider III.

TNfootballfan62 EDIT: These posts have been taken care of. Please don't report them again.
Quote by randomhero93
i did kinda contribute. and then i appologized in my last post. bye

What? I can't hear you. You got a **** in your mouth.
Page 1 of 2