What does Justin Chancellor, the Tool bassist, use for his crazy effects?
In the tabs I see whammy and distortion, what brands/models? I have yet to be able to find a Bass Whammy pedal online. Is it a stompbox? or and actual pedal (like the Digitech Whammy for electric guitar)
And most of those lovetone's will put you back a fair bit as well. I've seen used Wobulators go for close to 900 USD used.
Try getting getting close to his sound with an ibanez practice amp, a single instrument cable, and a hartke starter bass.

No intention to offend, but that saying is not true.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
until you achieve his bass skills, no effect will allow you to "sound like" him. the power is in the fingers, not the boxes on the floor.

... But the boxes sure help
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
until you achieve his bass skills, no effect will allow you to "sound like" him. the power is in the fingers, not the boxes on the floor.

a lot of his sound really is style, I first heard Schism about 5 years ago on an acoustic bass guitar and I asked if that was Tool, having heard some of their other stuff.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I have found you can use the guitar whammy pedal and it works fine. Otherwise i use a multi pedal and it has a lot of stuff thats close enough to what he uses. But you can get the digitech whammy anywhere for like 200$
I believe he uses the search bar.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Yeah. I understand getting his technique. But I'm not trying to BE HIM, I'm more wondering what he uses, so I can get it and mess around with it.
Quote by Jasonbts
Yeah. I understand getting his technique. But I'm not trying to BE HIM, I'm more wondering what he uses, so I can get it and mess around with it.

it takes a lot to sound like that. a lot of money.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Casketcreep
I think Fatgoogle has a point here.
I have seen a huge lot of these threads in my time.

And Jaco comes to mind 'The tone is in my fingers'

However, he had a fairly simple rig.

Justin's rig is so complex it barely sounds like a Wal at all. As for those pictures, it's fairly out of date, but it goves you a good indication of what he does. He has tremolo, whammy, several distortions, chorus, flanger, delay, wah, fuzz, auto wah (maybe an envelope filter as well) all on top of a bi-amped rig.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
On the 10000 days tour it was something like this:

Wall XLR Out --> Demeter VTBP-201 --> PA

Wall 1/4" Out --> Guyatone VT-X --> Sansamp GT2 --> Boss CEB-2 --> Boss BF-3 --> Boss DD3 --> Guyatone GSD-U05 --> Colorsound Tonebender --> Foxx Fuzz-Wah Volume --> SPLITTER

SPLITTER Out 1 (Dirty) --> ProCo TurboRAT --> Boss GEB-7 --> GK 2001RB --> Mesa RoadReady 4x12

SPLITTER Out 2 (Clean) --> GK 2001RB --> Mesa RoadReady 8x10

Hope this helps....
Thanks Sharkman. That's really helpfull
I know he uses a Digitech Bass Whammy, which many others say they have been discontinued, and are now expensive and they sound terrible and suck tone
But what I've heard is that people have used Digitech Whammy pedals, usually used for electric guitar, and they said that they sound great and work fine. Any objections?
Quote by Jasonbts
Thanks Sharkman. That's really helpfull
I know he uses a Digitech Bass Whammy, which many others say they have been discontinued, and are now expensive and they sound terrible and suck tone
But what I've heard is that people have used Digitech Whammy pedals, usually used for electric guitar, and they said that they sound great and work fine. Any objections?

Actually, the bass whammy works better on bass than a guitar whammy, and has settings that Justin uses a lot that the guitar version lacks.

An alternative that is better and does so much more is the eventide pitch factor with an expression pedal. Still not cheap though.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Wow that's pricey...
Yeah. Looks good though.
A lot of people mentioned major tone suck from the bass whammy. ?