I am trying to leave the noob thing of anchoring.
Up to now I'm doing okay, but having a hard time picking the lower strings…
Help?
It's not ALWAYS noob.

Sure it can slow you down, sure it can hurt you, but you CAN still anchor, don't make it a habit though.
if YOU NEED to, thego ahead.
I know there is a huge debate about anchoring vs non anchoring,

Personally i tried anchoring and could never keep my hand there,

Just practice, try ride the lightning intro, that helped me with picking strings etc
anchoring isn't noobish. if it works, it works. all that matters is what a man can do and what a man can't do. ghandi said that

or maybe that was jack sparrow
The Petrucci thing is partially a good thing. I mean yes he does it, but he puts a lot of effort into picking, I mean after a fast Alternate Picking run he really takes a break and seems comfortable.

on the other hand, players like Vai, Govan, Gilbert, etc... Put almost no effort in picking, in the long run that helps. But if you're already use to anchoring and you've been playing for a while just keep doing, I still do it and I'm fine.
I'm not sure but I think John Petrucci, Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and Guthrie Govan all anchor at times. I myself don't anchor but then again I can only play 16th notes at 150bpm not 250bpm. I wouldn't call it noob but it is considered a bad habbit so keep practicing without anchoring, you'll get it. On the bottom string try moving your hand down a bit or pick closer to the right near the bridge I think
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
Try to mix anchoring and non-anchoring picking techniques, it worked well for me. Just dont be over-dependant on it. For the low strings thing, try using you whole lower right arm to pick instead of your wrist/fingers(like most anchorers do).
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
Anchoring in general is bad, a bad habit to get into.
I'm trying to get out of it.
Lift your hand about a mm or 2 off the guitar, no more. And relax, don't tense your arm.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Watch Paul Gilbert play.
Play like Paul Gilbert, the guy has awesome alt. picking technique.