How do you install a Tune-o-matic bridge into a guitar for the first time? I got one to put in my Firebird project. And I can probably use the power tools at my school, so tools won't be an issue.

I'm also unsure as to where exactly to put the bridge... My guitar has 21 Frets, I think that matters, right?
im sure theres a thread somewhere in here that answers this... if not here check warmoth.com, they might be able to help.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
To install you drill holes just a hair smaller than the bridge studs, then press or tap the studs in. Then you screw the posts into the studs. To figure out where you need to place the bridge depends on the scale length of your guitar. If its a 25.5" scale, then you would place the bridge so that the saddles are 25.5 inches from the nut, or 12.75 from the 12th fret.
I've found that Firebirds should have a scale length of 24.75, but as you can see in my pictures, that will not be the case for this one. Is that ok? Can I place the bridge somewhere else? If so, where?

That hole you see to the left is the slot for my 3rd pickup.
Quote by odstwarhead
I've found that Firebirds should have a scale length of 24.75, but as you can see in my pictures, that will not be the case for this one. Is that ok? Can I place the bridge somewhere else? If so, where?
(

Measure from the nut to the 12th fret. What do you get. If you get 12.75 then you have a 25.5" scale length neck, so you will need to place the bridge so that the saddles are 12.75" away from the 12th fret. Your neck is whats going to determine the scale length of the guitar.
Also, in that picture it looks like you have the tape measure hooked to the top of the nut. You should actually measure from the bottom of the nut at the last point where the strings touch it.
Thanks, I found my scale to be 24"... Which puts me in the middle of my last pickup when I measure exactly 24" from the nut.... What should I do?
Last edited by odstwarhead at Sep 8, 2009,
Stewmac has a handy calculator for telling you where to put the bridge for any scale length. But if you have a 24" scale neck and 24" puts you in the middle of the pickup route there aint a whole lot your gonna be able to do about it. You cant just put the bridge at 25" as it would never tune or intonate. You might have to find a different neck for it.

Where did this body and neck come from? Did you buy em from different sources and were the pickups already routed? I always figure out where my bridge goes before routing for pickups etc.
Last edited by Tackleberry at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by odstwarhead

before I realized those were two different pictures, I thought you had REALLY small feet under a plank of wood.

also, footshot!
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Well 24" is a very short scale, you might want to re-measure it just to be sure that it's EXACTLY 12" from where the string leaves the nut and the center of the 12th fret. If it is so, then you could route your pickup hole out so it's square, then cut a block of wood to size (preferably the same kind as the body) and glue it in there. Then you'd put wood filler in the cracks and sand flush. You could try to match up grains but more than likely it'll stick out and you won't be able to have a natural finish.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

somehow i highly doubt thats a 24" scale neck.
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
Quote by sk8freakrt
somehow i highly doubt thats a 24" scale neck.

Yea, I don't think there is such a thing. Its probably either a 24.75 or 25.5. TS did you route the pickups yourself?
Last edited by Matt420740 at Sep 9, 2009,
Ok, I just breathed a huge sigh of relief today. I just remeasured the guitar when I woke up this morning. It is a 25.5" Scale Length. Last night I was measuring from the wrong fret. I think I was just tired. Thanks for all of your help!

And no, I didn't route for the pickups myself. I bought them like that. If I had the choice, this guitar would only have two pickups.
Last edited by odstwarhead at Sep 9, 2009,
And is it true that the bridge should be drilled in so that the bass side is 1/8" lower than on the treble side?
yes that is true.

If the bridge still goes into the cavity you can always fill it with some wood filler or a block of wood, but it will show up if you do a transparent or natural finish so you would have to do a solid finish
Quote by odstwarhead
And is it true that the bridge should be drilled in so that the bass side is 1/8" lower than on the treble side?

Yes. The treble side should be set so the saddle is in the middle of its adjustment range, and it should be at 25.5 at the saddle. The bass side should be 1/8" lower on the guitar. You can look at and Gibson and see how they are set at a slant. Just so you know, a tune-o-matic bridge also requires a neck angle of about 2 degrees. You'll either need to slant the pocket or the neck heel. Standard bridges or Floyd's don't require this. Only tune-o-matics because they set so high.
Quote by odstwarhead
What do you mean by slant the pocket?

It needs to have a 2 degree angle on it. The neck must be angled for a tune-o-matic, because it sets up higher than other type bridges. When I built my flying V I used a standard hardtail bridge, like Ibanez uses on the RG321. It sets flat on the guitar.
I'll upload a pic to show you what neck angle is. Here is one of my guitars with a Tune-o-matic. You can clearly see the neck is angled and not flat with the guitar.

Without that angle your action is going to be way too high at the bottom of the neck. Either you need to angle your pocket or find a different bridge.

You can see here the bridge I used on my flying V, which requires no angle.

Do you mean slant the neck pocket?

And I know what a Tune-o-matic looks like, I have one on my Les Paul.
Quote by odstwarhead
Do you mean slant the neck pocket?

And I know what a Tune-o-matic looks like, I have one on my Les Paul.

You can angle the neck pocket OR the neck heel. Which ever is easier for you. Either way will give the neck angle. I always use a regular bridge on the guitars I build, that way I don't have to worry about it. It can be a bitch to measure the angle correctly and get it just right.
Quote by odstwarhead
How far away should the stop bar be from the bridge?

it dont matter, but i would use the distance of an 80's les paul ,that way there you could always install the kahler 7200 without relocating the post holes
In my understanding you don't necessarily need to angle the neck pocket. Alternatively you could recess the bridge into the body but then that would cause problems with the strings not being held tight enough to the bridge if you use a stop bar. If you choose to recess it the problem could then be avoided if you change to a string though body instead.

I think it's probably easier to us a different type of bridge if there is no no neck angle.
Quote by the pioneer
it dont matter, but i would use the distance of an 80's les paul ,that way there you could always install the kahler 7200 without relocating the post holes

Measurements?
Quote by odstwarhead
Measurements?

All my tune-o-matic guitars are string through, instead of stoptail. So I can't help you there. You said you have a Les Paul earlier. Just use that to get a measurement.
Yeah, I did that last night, and the stopbar is 1 5/8" from the bass side, and 1 3/4" from the treble. Drilling today. Wish me luck!
Quote by Matt420740
Yea, I don't think there is such a thing. Its probably either a 24.75 or 25.5. TS did you route the pickups yourself?

Someone's never played a Jaguar or a Mustang etc.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Will the neck angle be required before mounting the bridge? Would adding the angle after bridge placement affect intonation? I'd assume yes.