I know that the accent beats (1 and 3) should have notes that outline the chord (or harmony) that is being used, but say if you are playing over a C (I) Chord and play an F (IV) Chord, how would that work? I know you should play what sounds nice, but I can use some detail to how and why. Thanks
well, C contains the notes C E G as you know, and F contains F A C. this is important because when playing F over a C, the A stands out as a 6 and the F as a suspended 4. of course, you wouldnt actually just overlap the entire chord, its one or the other for the notes, but those are their qualities pertaining to the I-IV relationship.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by Night_Warrior
Well i didnt mean playing the whole chord over C, I meant the single
note

Well you did say F chord (IV) which implies the entire triad.

If you play F over C E G, you will hear it as an upper extension (11). an 11 is generally avoided as a melody note over a Major I chord.

generally accepted chord tones over a Major chord.... 1 3 5 6 7 9 #11 13
shred is gaudy music
I don't really understand what you're asking. Try rephrasing it.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by GuitarMunky
Well you did say F chord (IV) which implies the entire triad.

If you play F over C E G, you will hear it as an upper extension (11). an 11 is generally avoided as a melody note over a Major I chord.

generally accepted chord tones over a Major chord.... 1 3 5 6 7 9 #11 13

True, But if it sounds really good to you than it will work alright. But if your looking to accent beats 1 and 3 (which are not the only beats you can accent, but that depends on the style of music) then I would avoid using an f on 1 & 3 and instead use 13579#11 or 13 and play the not louder and stronger to get the accent across. Try using the F note on an off beat or beats 2 or 4 to get to one of the chord tones. It will also depend slightly on what the rhythm section is doing behind the melody, but dont be afraid to experiment for your self to hear what sounds good.
Quote by SKAtastic7770
True, But if it sounds really good to you than it will work alright. .

Sure, you can play anything you want.

Quote by Night_Warrior
bumpp

I answered your question
shred is gaudy music