The c major scale can be constructed out of 3 chords FAC+CEG+GBD=CDEFGABC. I figured by combining other chords I could get unique scales. I tried F#A#C#+CEG but some guy already made that one.
So I tried a couple other combinations. Unfortunately they sounded boring like the hexonic scale and the chromatic one or very dissonant. How can I make them sound better?
Here are two of the boring ones:
C D# E G Ab B C = E Ab B + C E G + G# C D#
C C# D# E F F# G G# B = C# F G# + C E G + B D# F#
Last edited by Zombiechao at Sep 8, 2009,
Any scale that you "construct" that sounds like music will have already been used somewhere by someone. And scales aren't constructed with chords they should be made with intervals.
I'm curious what are the ones that I "constructed" (I can use double quotes too and brackets!) are?
Before you start working on these sorts of things, work on playing minor, major and pentatonic scales. Try and make them sound interesting if they just sound boring to you.
Most scales are altered (simply) by raising or lowering one of the scale degrees (so moving one of the notes in a scale up a semitone). It's quite surprising how much difference this actually makes eg. Phrygian Dominant, Harmonic Minor. Then you can go the next step and alter another degree, for example sharpening the 4th of a Harmonic Minor to make it Gypsy Minor. So we can go Minor + #7 = Harmonic Minor then Harmonic Minor + #4 = Gypsy Minor.
This way you don't have to start from scratch.
lol guitar
make it interesting by throwing in something that is not the usual... put a note or two that is not in the scale will sometime alter it into something that can be very2 interesting...

just an idea.. good luck!
Quote by Zombiechao
The c major scale can be constructed out of 3 chords FAC+CEG+GBD=CDEFGABC. I figured by combining other chords I could get unique scales. I tried F#A#C#+CEG but some guy already made that one.
So I tried a couple other combinations. Unfortunately they sounded boring like the hexonic scale and the chromatic one or very dissonant. How can I make them sound better?
Here are two of the boring ones:
C D# E G Ab B C = E Ab B + C E G + G# C D#
C C# D# E F F# G G# B = C# F G# + C E G + B D# F#

It's kind of the other way round - the chords are derived from the scales...what you're doing is nothing new, it's just a very complicated way of doing something that's already been done. Every scale you'll make will either already exist, not be a diatonic scale or sound like crap.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com