I don't have any money now, but when I do, I'll be going to Warmoth (unless something on eBay pops up. It probably will). And my build will be:

-Walnut body, Soloist shape, obviously natural finish
-Mahogany neck, Warmoth headstock, SS6100 frets, maple fingerboard
-HSS routing
-no pickguard, rear routing (duh)
-vintage trem (planning on replacing it with prs vintage trem)
-phase II locking tuners
-I'm going to get a friend of mine to make walnut pickup rings for me.
-the pickup in the bridge will probably be a D Sonic, the two SCs I'm not sure about yet. I want to be able to get kind of strat smooth tones (I know with the wood I won't be able to get too close) as well as rock tones.
-proper pots and wiring and shielding, of course

Any suggestions?
What music do you primarily play?

EDIT: I will, someday, do something for you that is sigworthy.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Last edited by Wulphy at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by mamosa
Rock-->metal

EDIT: I would go with an ebony/rosewood fretboard rather than maple, as they have a deeper, less "twangy" sound that metal and rock tend to use.

The D Sonic is fantastic, the rhythm player in my band has one of them on one of his guitars, and the tone he gets out of his Mesa Boogie is amazing. For the SC's, well, you got me on that one. I'm going to go with Dimarzio Super Distortions S on my strat, perhaps the neck position would be good for you?

The smooth strat tones will come with a highly compatible bridge and SC pickup.

That's all I have for now, good luck my friend
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Last edited by Wulphy at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by loudog93
how much does a typical warmoth build cost if they do all the finishing for you?

Depends on the finish as well as the type of top they are finishing.

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Default.aspx

You can build a body on their site and include a finish if you really want to see.

I am interested to see how this turns out, I want to build a Warmoth Strat myself.
Last edited by Shabadoo at Sep 8, 2009,
Hey Mamosa, you should use a Wilkinson. Really nice systems (possibly better than a PRS trem, with the locking saddles and all that).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Really? I've never tried one, but I know that the PRS Vintage trem (at least the one on the PRS Tremonti) when combined with the Phase II locking tuners, can withstand any amount of abuse.
Sounds like it'll be amazing.

The only two differences I'd make are,

1. Different Pickup Config - It's not like the H-S-S is bad, I just prefer H-S-H or H-H with coil splitters.

2. If you want to get a D-Sonic, I don't know how warm and strat like you'll get. I'd go with a PAF Anniversary... Those things are warm and distort amazingly. D-Sonics in my experience are more for defined lows. Think Petrucci, y'know? Imo, he rarely gets silky smooth tones from his bridge. He does get amazing sounds out of his Air Norton in the neck though. But now, he's got new pickups called a Tone Lab and a Blaze or something like that... I digress.

But yea, that's my two cents.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
I want to be able to get it all. And yeah, I was kind of leaning towards HSH. Still am, but whatever. If I was going actives, I'd get the EMG 60 in the neck (great cleans), SA in the middle (best single coil I've ever touched), and modded 85 in the bridge. But I don't want to go actives this time. I wish mixing them would be a good idea though.
Quote by mamosa
I want to be able to get it all. And yeah, I was kind of leaning towards HSH. Still am, but whatever. If I was going actives, I'd get the EMG 60 in the neck (great cleans), SA in the middle (best single coil I've ever touched), and modded 85 in the bridge. But I don't want to go actives this time. I wish mixing them would be a good idea though.

Everyone says actives are so great, but I don't see the appeal.

They're great if you have a huge complex rig and you need a squeaky clean sound, but to me, they lack the grit and the raunchyness of a good passive.

But then again, the only actives I've tried were in a Schecter, and since then I have learned that Schecter has never had a pickup I liked in them to start with.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by mamosa
Really? I've never tried one, but I know that the PRS Vintage trem (at least the one on the PRS Tremonti) when combined with the Phase II locking tuners, can withstand any amount of abuse.

My Wilkinson+Sperzel tuners stays in tune very well.
I'm looking to get a roller nut to improve the tuning stability even more.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The EMG SA is the single most perfect pickup I have ever tried. I don't care if it's active or not, it's just pure awesomeness.

The 60 has great cleans, and the 85 has nice crunch, while not being as bland as the 81.

If it was a perfect world, I'd use the SA for my single coil, the D-Sonic in the bridge, and maybe a Tone Zone, Air Norton, Blaze, etc. in the neck.
Quote by oneblackened
My Wilkinson+Sperzel tuners stays in tune very well.
I'm looking to get a roller nut to improve the tuning stability even more.

What gear do you have? I keep trying to look on your profile, but it's private

Private profiles always make me curious because I figure the profile must be so awesome that the user needs to shield himself from fans.
Personally, I'm a fan of Seymour Duncan. Get a JB in the bridge and you'll never look back.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
carved top or flat top? just curious, i prefer the look of the carved top by A TON, but it can make a huge difference in the price department. otherwise it sounds great! maybe look into a LSR rollernut, or at least a graphite one.

also, exotic necks are the way to go if you sweat while you play, and since they don't need finishes they are just about the same price as a typical finished neck. i can't even tell you how awesome my purpleheart neck is
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
I've got a Warmoth Strat that I love. You can see a pictureof it on my profile. It has a Swamp Ash body. Maple neck with Rosewood board. Duncan JB in the bridge, and a Duncan Jazz in the neck. It also has Sperzel's and the Buzz Feiten tuning system.
The stuff I play is hard rock/metal. THis guitar sounds perfect for that style. I highly recommend the Warmoth stuff.
There's my way and the wrong way.
If you're going for metal and a D sonic, you might as well get the HH config with a passive neck humbucker, then get one of those nifty Schaller Megaswitches to switch between pickup combinations. But definitely go for a Warmoth, great quality guitars they have.

I love my Warmoth to death, you have no idea

Gear
Warmoth Stratocaster
Jackson KE3
ESP LTD EC-256

Bogner Alchemist 2x12
Vox AD30VT

Gator GPT-PWR Pedalboard
MXR CAE MC-404 Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Line 6 Uber Metal
Last edited by steel337 at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by mamosa
What gear do you have? I keep trying to look on your profile, but it's private

Private profiles always make me curious because I figure the profile must be so awesome that the user needs to shield himself from fans.

Sorry about that...
The guitar I have a Wilkinson on is one I built.

My gear isn't anything special.
Epi LP Standard
Peavey Vypyr 75
Peavey Sanpera 1
Roland Microcube
Custom build.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
with warmoth it will minimum cost you a grand to build a guitar with decent pickups. unless ofcourse you buy all the hardware and electronics second hand and finish the guitar yourself. even then i think you will be hardput to get it within 500 to 600 bucks.
I wanted to do a flying V build with a Les Paul style neck and headstock. After I started pricing the things and figured in the labor time I though otherwise. I can get a flying V faded for as cheap as the body would be from Warmoth. Also the necks appeared to all be bolt on.