So I have a Crate V33 212 tube combo...it's a great amp and sounds great clean. The overdrive section sounds dark and muddy so the only way to get a distorted tone for metal and other styles is to use my Metal Muff. A few months ago the amp starting dropping in volume and now it fizzes and feedbacks even at low volumes. It is unusable right now. Any ideas on whats wrong? I have thought about selling it and my 120w crate solidstate and maybe try to get a nice amp. Any suggestions would be great.
The best revenge is bettering yourself-Zacky V

311 Freak of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
Did you replace the tubes yet?
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
sounds like a tubes bad. turn it on and watch the tubes to see if one doesnt look right or doesnt light up at all.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I have not done that but I've had it only around 4 or 5 months

any suggestions for replacement? and for metal and hard rock as the main focus with a decent clean tone as well...is the v33 a good route or should i sell and look elsewhere?

Last edited by full_ride_311 at Sep 8, 2009,
one tube didnt light up

Quote by full_ride_311
one tube didnt light up

then the tubes bad. i recommend not playing it until you get it replaced. you can either: look up the tube type and replace it yourself (im not completely sure if its just plug and play if its the same type or not however) or bring it to a shop to get it fixed. a new tube can run up to 80 dollars unfortunately, and prices vary from shop to shop on service.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Same type of power tubes (i.e. Sovtek 6L6es -> Tung-Sol 6L6es) will work, but changing to a different type won't work in most cases. Changing brand is fine.

Any preamp tube can be changed to any other with no repurcussions. To try and alleviate the darkness of the V33, I'd look into Tung-Sol tubes. The SLO mods may also be of interest to you.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
hmmm thank you...what is a slo mod?

Last edited by full_ride_311 at Sep 8, 2009,
Lol losing tubes is fun...

I put Ruby el84 in mine (i got them for free) and they sounded great. Lots of low end opunch (my amp is modded and not dark).

I also replace the pre-amp 12ax7s with some EHX glass. Definitely helped Smooth out the gain. It has a lot more saturation, and less of a brittle square wave.

Good luck bro!

this amp is pretty sweet, once you put in a little work.
Quote by full_ride_311
hmmm thank you...what is a slo mod?

The Crate V series preamp is quite similar to the Soldano SLO, and the V series can be modded to Soldano SLO specifications with relative ease. This would vastly improve the clean and distortion on the amp, making it alot brighter and crunchier...

Google "Crate V series SLO mods", there's a thread on some forum on it, and at least one guy who will do it if you pay him.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
ok cool thanks everyone