Heya Pit.

What are in your opinion the moments in Earth-history that Science has a "lack of knowledge" and can't explain it very well, mainly when we talk about the creation (big-bang, etc) of Earth till humanity(nowdays) and specie evolution (from the first being to human kind)?

For me, that's when spirituality or faith comes up and FULLFILS the "holes" in science - believing in a superior identity and to most people something that they call "religion".

NOTE: Talk about the title subject itself. This is not a religion thread, otherwise it would go a bit crazy and we already have one religion thread. You can talk about spirituality, which for me is that there is something more, aka a superior identity that from person to person can vary a lot.
Last edited by LightYourFire at Sep 8, 2009,

EDIT: In all honesty, this is a really pointless thread.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Ya, like I was thinking the other day, what if ghosts and other paranormal activity were just scientific activity that we don't know enough about to understand.

Was that what you were looking for?
Goodness gracious me!
The first three posters made me feel like.. fail. Thanks -sniff-
Quote by Bizarro
Ya, like I was thinking the other day, what if ghosts and other paranormal activity were just scientific activity that we don't know enough about to understand.

Was that what you were looking for?

exactly.. that is what I'm looking for! stuff that science have trouble explaining and your interpretation of it
With subjects like these there is no proof from either side. All you can do is believe what you want without proof.
Quote by Lamboman43
With subjects like these there is no proof from either side. All you can do is believe what you want without proof.

my faith is my proof and don't you dare tell me otherwise
Goodness gracious me!
Quote by Bizarro
my faith is my proof and don't you dare tell me otherwise

Oh god, please tell me I hear my sarcasm meter going off.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by buddyboombotz
It will be filled in. Hopefully, by aliens and orgies.

Wait, you mean like a Captain Kirk type moment with lots and lots of ferociously humping blue women?!
i thought they found the "missing link" already. some sorta lemur. and there was this fish fossil in the desert that had legs.
Dude. I think this fits here. My dad totally told me that they looked at what atoms were made of, then when those were made of, and kept breaking it down, and they found out something that blows my mind. The very smallest thing we are made out of is energy. So basicly all we are and everything around us is really just energy.

I dno, maybe he was just lieing, but hes usually serious about this stuff. My mind was blown.

It proves the theory of ghosts, because perhapse the energy we are made of separated, and so mostof it is in the body, but a weak amount still chills in creepy places. It also means transportation could be much easyer in the future, and so many other things, think of the possabilities
I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments.
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by theboots at Sep 8, 2009,
There is no possible way for there to have been a "start".
Any start or spark would have to have something to start it. It's an endless loop, and the only way for it to be solved is to say that the energy present in the universe was always here.
Quote by theboots
Dude. I think this fits here. My dad totally told me that they looked at what atoms were made of, then when those were made of, and kept breaking it down, and they found out something that blows my mind. The very smallest thing we are made out of is energy. So basicly all we are and everything around us is really just energy.

I dno, maybe he was just lieing, but hes usually serious about this stuff. My mind was blown.

It proves the theory of ghosts, because perhapse the energy we are made of separated, and so mostof it is in the body, but a weak amount still chills in creepy places. It also means transportation could be much easyer in the future, and so many other things, think of the possabilities

Thanks for saving the thread.

Btw.. I edited a bit my post, hopefully it is clearer now
Quote by LightYourFire
Thanks for saving the thread.

Btw.. I edited a bit my post, hopefully it is clearer now

I do what I can. and I edited mine too
I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by that_1_dude24
There is no possible way for there to have been a "start".
Any start or spark would have to have something to start it. It's an endless loop, and the only way for it to be solved is to say that the energy present in the universe was always here.

It's possible that the universe has gone through an infinite big bang and big crush cycle, though I've heard that the theory is unlikely

Quote by theboots

That's the stupidest thing I've heard

EDIT
You know, what that was a dickish thing to say
i r sorry
You just dont want it to be true.
I understand, I was upset about all the things to think about, too

edit: and no worries, its a bit of a stoner idea
-Jim Morrison
Quote by theboots
You just dont want it to be true.
I understand, I was upset about all the things to think about, too

edit: and no worries, its a bit of a stoner idea

You can say that again
Goodness gracious me!
Quote by theboots

Yeah that's true. And whoever said it's the stupidest thing he's ever heard just has no idea (edit: didn't see that that guy only bolded the "ghost" part... in that way he's somewhat right. I'll still leave this up anyways.)

It's called... e=mc^2. you've probably heard of it ^^ To put it simple, it states that the mass of something (to the power of the speed of light squared...) is always equal to the total energy inside of it. So basically, all matter is also energy in a way.
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
Last edited by Canne at Sep 8, 2009,
So.... really, there is no such thing as mass, and the energy it is equal to is actually itself? :S
-Jim Morrison
Quote by LightYourFire
...specie evolution (from the first being to human kind)?

That's hardly a hole. Science has provided an explanation of how this happened, happens and will continue to happen.
Evolution 101

Get down Moses - part another sea,
Carve another tablet out of L.S.D.
Quote by VANGELIS!
That's hardly a hole. Science has provided an explanation of how this happened, happens and will continue to happen.

Well, I dont know if science has completly proven it 100%, but I believe its probably true
-Jim Morrison
You can already talk about this subject in the religion thread. You should go there....
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Quote by theboots

I'm pretty sure that only makes sense to me because I'm pretty high right now.

If you ask me, ghosts aren't a topic covered by the scientific community because they're...uhh...not real?
Quote by theboots
Well, I dont know if science has completly proven it 100%, but I believe its probably true

You cant prove or disprove anything 100%. Besides, evolution IS considered fact among most scientists.
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

you don't know nearly enough about what you are talking about for your opinion to matter in the slightest.
Quote by theboots
So.... really, there is no such thing as mass, and the energy it is equal to is actually itself? :S

Well you can't really say it like that... it's difficult to explain it in a simple way, but there is more to the equation than just what you see. You can't say that there is no such thing as mass... in the theory of relativity, mass and energy are understood to be the same thing, but neither one "exists" without the other. When energy is trapped inside of a closed system (no mass/energy can enter/exit the system), for example, it usually is in the form of mass.
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

Quote by theboots

Of course it has. Regardless of the theoretical framework that describes it, it happens. Apples wouldn't stop falling from trees if the theory of gravity was completely wrong. The same premise applies to evolution - it happens whether you believe it does or not.
Evolution 101

Get down Moses - part another sea,
Carve another tablet out of L.S.D.
Science is supposed to have "holes." That's how it works. It's the constant striving to fill those gaps and reevaluate what we already know.

Quote by theboots

There's no such thing as "proving" something 100% in science.

I think before anyone makes an ass of themselves in this debate, they should at least familiarize themselves with these concepts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor
Quote by preludetowar
You cant prove or disprove anything 100%. Besides, evolution IS considered fact among most scientists.

Scientists don't consider it a fact. Real scientists know that science is based on theories, and as you said yourself, no number of experiments can ever prove a theory to be fact, and it only takes one experiment to disprove it.
- Scott Adams

Allllright then. Nothing is 100%, So there are no facts, although if their were evolution sure would be one.

And we are made out of energy then?!? Im still kinda trippin from the though
-Jim Morrison
There's other holes besides ones dealing with the beggining of the universe, such as how gravity works, or what happens in a black hole. We're always learning more though, and we might eventually know how it works.

It's both a gift and a curse.

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
Quote by Canne
Yeah that's true. And whoever said it's the stupidest thing he's ever heard just has no idea...

It's called... e=mc^2. you've probably heard of it ^^ To put it simple, it states that the mass of something (to the power of the speed of light squared...) is always equal to the total energy inside of it. So basically, all matter is also energy in a way.

Thank you, but I understand the concept of mass-energy equivalence, and (if you would allow me) possibly better than you
What I was talking about was the ghost idea, which really doesn't really make any sense
I hate it when people cack-handedly try to use science to explain their whackjob, utterly unscientfic theories. You know, these spiritual authors who will take something like quantum mechanics, and somehow spin it off into books about "quantum healing" and "quantum morality" - or explain the existence of ghosts. It's absolutely taking the piss.

As for evolution, of what holes do you speak, TS? Despite what others have said, we can for all intents and purposes be 100% sure of its veracity, such is the weight of evidence. There may be holes in the fossil record, but even if we did not possess a single fossil of anything, we could still be absolutely sure that the process known as evolution has and continues to take place, through the study of genetics and other observations.
Quote by The Horror!
Thank you, but I understand the concept of mass-energy equivalence, and (if you would allow me) possibly better than you
What I was talking about was the ghost idea, which really doesn't really make any sense

I like how you assume that you understand it better than me. Don't judge my "scientific knowledge" on what I'm trying to explain to UGers... since it's really not a very good measure of what I know related to science.

And yeah... I didin't see that you bolded the bottom part of the text. When I saw you quoted all of it, I simply assumed you were referring to all of it. T'was my bad.

Quote by Beserker

As for evolution, of what holes do you speak, TS? Despite what others have said, we can for all intents and purposes be 100% sure of its veracity, such is the weight of evidence. There may be holes in the fossil record, but even if we did not possess a single fossil of anything, we could still be absolutely sure that the process known as evolution has and continues to take place, through the study of genetics and other observations.

By saying that theories can never be proven to be 100% correct I wasn't suggesting that evolution might not have happened. I'm as sure as you are that it did happen and still is happening. Still, it's a theory; scientific theories are generally regarded to be true on the basis of observations and experiments and leave the possibility for false assumptions (which don't exactly have to falsify the whole theory, generally speaking... I know there is nothing which will disprove all of evolution).

As for evolution, I recently read this: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/07/090728-first-animals-evolution-lakes.html

This changes a few ideas scientists have had about this theory... but then again, this could be disproven again sometime in the future.
- Scott Adams

Last edited by Canne at Sep 8, 2009,