hey, im new to UG, I'm a bassist, I started playing about 7 months back, anyhow I am having a bit of trouble getting a good sound from my bass.

See my bass guitar is an indie IRK bass, which is essentially a copy of a rickenbacker 4001, I bought it because I love the look and sound of the rickenbacker but couldent justify spending 1500 dollars on the real thing, anyhow I have a tiny little amp, a Vox T-15. together they sound like sh*t, which is odd because rickenbackers and vox amps should sound nice (like the beatles, the who) the only way I can get the thing to sound half decent is if I turn everything down but keep only the volume and treble maxed, but it still sounds too wimpy.

I like to play stuff like the jam, the kinks, and as of recently franz ferdinand, arctic monkeys, could anyone recomend what I can do to give my bass some balls? im open to any suggestions besides selling my bass or switching pickups.
Last edited by 505 at Sep 8, 2009,
i play bass...im 14 i have a rumble 15 amp and a fender squier pbass...u probably need a amp that can handle the low frequency
505, I would recommend a new amp. Check the FAQ section for some suggestions of amps at a beginner's budget. If you want some suggestions for an amp, please give us a price to work with. A new, louder, actually bass amp will go a long way toward giving your sound some balls.
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal
Considering your sound and musical tendencies, I'd start trying out some Ashdown amps. Great sound and affordable.
Get a new amp, that should solve your problems.
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3
-Fender Road Worn 50s Precision Bass

Gear I Have:
-Peavey Millennium BXP =]
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
thanks for the recomendations, I think iyll go have a look at some amps later on this week, my budget would have to be 300 dollars, i'd like something big enough to play small gigs with but that also is fairly portable and can have a distortion pedal hooked up to it, also any recomendations on pedals? im also thinking of getting the bass restrung, I am told rotosounds swingbass strings are good, what do you guys think?

I appreciate the help, i don't know much as far a specs and stuff go, I appreciate the help.
Quote by anarkee
Considering your sound and musical tendencies, I'd start trying out some Ashdown amps. Great sound and affordable.

yeah that would be your best option im pretty sure i have seen Mcartney on a few vids actually using Ashdown amps but i could be mistaken.

Im not sure but when i seen Franz im adamant that bob hardy had an Ampeg im not entirely sure of this though.I could try and find out but he uses a Hagstrom bass i know that for sure and also bout 60% sure its Ampeg he uses.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Last edited by Razgriz_101 at Sep 9, 2009,
Get an ashdown MAG 2x10 combo
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by Razgriz_101
yeah that would be your best option im pretty sure i have seen Mcartney on a few vids actually using Ashdown amps but i could be mistaken.

Im not sure but when i seen Franz im adamant that bob hardy had an Ampeg im not entirely sure of this though.I could try and find out but he uses a Hagstrom bass i know that for sure and also bout 60% sure its Ampeg he uses.

One of the reasons why I picked Ashdown is because their economy offerings are good and still have that vintage sound that the TS seems to like. Franz' bassist usually plays Ampeg and Bruce Foxton of the Jam was a Marshall enthusiast, but neither of those brands offer anything decent in the lower end models.
Quote by anarkee
One of the reasons why I picked Ashdown is because their economy offerings are good and still have that vintage sound that the TS seems to like. Franz' bassist usually plays Ampeg and Bruce Foxton of the Jam was a Marshall enthusiast, but neither of those brands offer anything decent in the lower end models.

true or within a reasonanble price range for good gear :P feel Ampeg's overpriced anyway i mean a MAG w cab for the same as an Ampeg BA head and no cabs and sounds better to boot xD.

But the Ashdown's awesome my friends is good we were jamming it yesterday night i fell in love with it but im still leaning towards another laney, was just adding what i thought may be a little helpful information about a sound of one of the bands listed :P cause im a bit of a Franz Ferdinand fanboy seen em 3 times own all albums,2 bootlegs,tshirt and a DVD xD so i know a fair bit bout em.

Didnt really mean anything by it cause myself i would agree on the ashdown purely on economical matters :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I saw franz a few weeks back, they had their amps hidden in these cabinet type things so I dident know what bob hardy was using, though the whole night he was playing a nice looking rick 3000.

I looked at some ashdowns online, I don't know if my local music shops carry them, though I have seen some marshalls, but for the most part they have fender, roland and hiwatt stuff.

I'd like to try an ampeg. as it seems that alot of bass players use them, im trying to find something universal enough for all the bands I like.