I have an Acer 4730Z laptop. It has this processor --->Intel® Pentium® Processor T4200 (1M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 800 MHz FSB).

Honestly, I don't understand very much of what that means, and I don't really care to. What I do care to know is what processor can I buy to replace it so I can run ProTools8 comfortably? Because right now, it's suckin.
my band is here ------> myspace.com/weareattica
I'm using a 2.5 GHz processor but you might want more ram, how much do you have?
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
3 GB of ram. I'm pretty sure it's the processor, because I get little notifications about it sucking, and my CPU usage gets up to 100% in my task manager and just stays there...not cool.
Oh yea it's the processor, um well you have a laptop so processors are more expensive, so I'd say look into something 2.2 and up, but you might want a higher m cache, but I don't understand why it's sucking for you, I ran it on a 2ghz 2gb ram vista 32 bit just fine until i got my computer. You have a 32 bit system right?
Lets jump in a pool

yep, I do.
What about this? ----> http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=40480

I've considered - mind you, I am NOT very computer literate, so this may be wrong - that getting a quad-core might work out, seeing as how you can specify what is being processed by each core. I have 2 now, so if I had 4 and left one open only to ProTools, things would still get done......right?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Just buy a new computer, buy the Asus G71 notebook, which is what I have, it comes with a intel core2 duo processor and 6 GB of ram stock. Fastest laptop avaliable. Totally worth the cost, which is about $1200.

well he needs to have a 32 bit system to run pt8, and a 32 bit system can only use up to i think like 3.5gbs of ram
Lets jump in a pool

Quote by just some guy
yep, I do.

I've considered - mind you, I am NOT very computer literate, so this may be wrong - that getting a quad-core might work out, seeing as how you can specify what is being processed by each core. I have 2 now, so if I had 4 and left one open only to ProTools, things would still get done......right?

hmm, sorry i'm not the best for computer stuff but i was getting a new computer over the summer so i tried to learn as much as i could for my computer so i could run protools nicely. That might a 64 bit since it says 64 bit, I'm not sure if im right though, im not the best computer person.
Lets jump in a pool

Quote by just some guy
yep, I do.

It won't work. That is a desktop processor.
Quote by Masonpwiley

good observation.
Lets jump in a pool

Quote by Masonpwiley

how so?
Quote by just some guy
how so?
It physically cannot fit into the socket.

Also, I think I should mention that you don't need to specify what goes to each core on a multicore system. If the program is multithreaded it will automatically run on all the cores.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by just some guy
...but this is the one I have http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37251

and they both have the same PGA478 thing for sockets supported...

unless.....that is in fact not my processor....though I am 99.9% sure it is...
Oh, sorry. You are right. I just looked at the name and thought it was a desktop CPU.
Quote by Masonpwiley
Oh, sorry. You are right. I just looked at the name and thought it was a desktop CPU.

well I suppose that's good news.
it seems like I may have to drop a lot of money though :/
You probably don't NEED a quad core. If you want a machine with some really serious power, a desktop would be best. If you just want to upgrade your laptop, that CPU is overkill.
With 3 gigs of ram you'll bottleneck there or at your hard drive badly if you get a quadcore. In other words you won't be able to utilize it so why waste the money right?

your cpu socket is P. therefore look up processors with the same socket. here's all the P socket type processors on newegg for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010340759%201686143084&bop=And&SpeTabStoreType=1&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=RATING

I recommend this one because of the good fsb speed, decent clock and 3mb cache is 3x what you already have. it should be a noticable upgrade without getting into the really expensive ones. if you spend a lot you can get up to 6mb with that socket i believe but at that cost i'd just get a new laptop really.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819111009

BTW. I built my own gaming computer and did a lot of research to do so. Runs perfectly since December I, of course, didn't go all out looking for expensive stuff for you like i did for mine.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I googled it and kept going to site after site til i found one that listed the specs. If you're unsure to trust me go to a best buy and tell them you want to upgrade your cpu. slip in the question about what socket it is and they'll tell you...then just walk out lol. don't buy parts at best buy btw. way overpriced.

Still had the page up in a tab so here it is.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_Dual-Core/Intel-Pentium%20Dual-Core%20Mobile%20T4200%20AW80577GG0411MA.html
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by I am wet
well he needs to have a 32 bit system to run pt8, and a 32 bit system can only use up to i think like 3.5gbs of ram

It actually has both, it can run a 32 bit processer and a 64 bit processer at the same time. I run 32 bit games and programs on this computer all the time.

EDIT: Not to mention it has two operating systems that are completly seperate.
Changing a laptop CPU is very difficult if you can do it in the first place, if you don't understand the basics of your current CPU... attempting to change it is not a good idea. It's probably not possible to upgrade to anything very powerful anyway because the cooling system and motherboard power settings are designed for your current CPU, even if you find a CPU that will actually work with the motherboard, you'll get a load of new problems. Don't bother thinking you'll get a quad-core to work in your laptop.

Just get a better laptop altogether.

There shouldn't really be any other discussion.
Last edited by vitchb at Sep 9, 2009,
I had an old Inspirion 1100 with a Celeron 2.4Ghz (ugh!) and upgraded it to a Pentium IV 2.4Ghz....no difference because they were the same chip practically, the Pentium IV had 512Kb more cache Only thing I really noticed was slight heat increase...but the laptop was built for the Pentium IV...I just got the cheapy Celeron

It's not difficult to change the actual CPU....but you have to remember that the laptop you have is set up for what you have. It you wanted to upgrade, you probably could only go a few MHz up anyways. Otherwise, it would roast itself. Plus, sheesh, you wanna know how much that's gonna cost you? Intel's processors are expensive as it is...

Just buy a better laptop lol You can get a "gaming" laptop for 1500 :P Or buy a desktop...helluva lot faster than a laptop at that price.
AMD Athlon x2 5200+ (Windsor) @ 3.2Ghz--4x1GB Gskill DDR2 800 @ 910Mhz--Biostar Tforce 550--450W Rosewill Stallion PSU--250GB Seagate Barracuda--Samsung Writemaster CD/DVD R/RW--XFX Geforce 7950GT core clock 600Mhz, memory clock 760Mhz
Last edited by Illiad86 at Sep 9, 2009,
Find out the chipset and look for a better one. I would try and get a dual core or even quad core if your motherboard supports it. Also try getting more RAM if you have to.
Quote by just some guy
I have an Acer 4730Z laptop. It has this processor --->Intel® Pentium® Processor T4200 (1M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 800 MHz FSB).

Honestly, I don't understand very much of what that means, and I don't really care to. What I do care to know is what processor can I buy to replace it so I can run ProTools8 comfortably? Because right now, it's suckin.

Make sure your laptop is customisable before you buy ****. I bought one that wasn't and it blows. My mate's Acer is though so you might be lucky! Make sure what you buy works in your machine. It might be worth emailing Acer support or something.