So, I'm looking at buying a new guitar. My current one just is not that great, but since I'm not the most amazing guitarist, I don't want to spend more than $300. I've been looking at the ESP LTD F-50. I'm pretty sure about getting that one, and everyone seems to really like it, from what I've read. I played it at guitar center and it sounded great. However, I didn't know if any of you more professional guitarists had any suggestions? My brother has an Ibanez and it's pretty good, but I still thought the ESP sounded better. Plus, a lot of bands I listen to (Metallica, Marilyn Manson, Rammstein, Static-X, etc.) use ESP guitars. So, again, if anyone has a better suggestion, please let me know!
Seagull S6.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Don't go for any ESP/LTD under the 400 series.

I found Ibanez RGs to be okay starters. I found if you slap 52-11s on a BC Rich Trace Warbeast it's pretty solid. I got mine new (from a sealed box) for 200 flat at GC. Most people hate BC Rich but I like my warbeast more than any ibanez rg120/123/320. Although, I've noticed the Warbeast at my local GCs feels really different from the one I have, so maybe I got lucky. :P
Well, for the Seagull... that's an acoustic. I'm looking for an electric. Also, I played a Warbeast and it did not sound good, at all. Not how I wanted it to sound, anyway. The Ibanez ART100 appears to be a good guitar, from reviews, but I'm not quite sure about it yet. I may just go with the one that appeals to me... which again, is the ESP LTD F-50. Two people on here have now told me that I should not go for an ESP below the 400 series, but from all the reviews I read, people love it. And, again, it sounded amazing in Guitar Center. Had a great, solid tone to it.
Last edited by Sebz93 at Sep 8, 2009,
Well for your price you're really only going to get a guitar with the following or similar:

Basswood body
Bolt-on neck (usually rock maple)
Rosewood fretboard
Crap stock pups

Remember the F-50 isn't really an ESP. It's an LTD. The squire to fender, if you will. Most low end gear gets high ratings from people that have only had low-end gear lol. Want some proof? Go look up reviews for the Marshall MG 30DFX.

And the warbeast is prolly like my friend's sche omen. His omen has a more set-neck feeling to it compared to the newer models. Prolly cheaped out on parts. You played it in the classical position with thicker strings, right? It really doesn't feel well with a set of 9s on it imo. It's a nice diy/project/starter guitar imo.
ESP =/= LTD

Just please trust me on this one. If you don't spend the money to get an esp or a high end ltd you aren't going to get the most bang for your buck.

Schecter 006 Delux

My weapon of choice for an upgrade from a squier. And if you save up a little bit, get new set of pickups from GHS: power rails for the bridge and a '59 for the neck. Upgrade the strings SOON as you get them to a nice set of elixer 10's or D'addario 10's. You might want to, down the line that is, upgrade the nut and the tuners, shoot you can even upgrade the knobs if you wish.

Trust me, if you get a schecter, its a ****ing learning experience from beginning to end. Also, this picture doesn't do it justice AT all. They look really good in person.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Last edited by sesstreets at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by Sebz93
Well, for the Seagull... that's an acoustic. I'm looking for an electric.

Which brings me to wondering why you didn't put this in the electric guitar forum. This forum is for "...guitar amps & effects. Also strings, picks, cables, capos and other guitar toys."
Alright, thanks for all the info. guys. That Schecter 006 definitely looks like a good one. Granted, it may not be as cool looking at the ESP LTD F-50, but it's still pretty awesome. I may have to go into Guitar Center and see how it actually sounds, in comparison to the F-50, though. I'll definitely read into this one some more, though.

And as to why I put the thread in this forum, is because I saw that it said guitar gear, but when I read the categories that fell under electric guitar, I wasn't sure if it was exactly right. Sorry, I just joined Ultimate Guitar yesterday, and was unsure of where everything should go.
The best one is used.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Yamaha pacifica, or an OLP MM1.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by scott58
The best one is used.

This. Or if you must buy new, I used to have an Ibanez GSA-60 that was pretty great. Its around $200 and it feels like a $500+ guitar. The pickups are pretty terrible though.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
This. Or if you must buy new, I used to have an Ibanez GSA-60 that was pretty great. Its around $200 and it feels like a $500+ guitar. The pickups are pretty terrible though.

Yep, I got my GSA60 used for $120. Also had a SD SH-13 (Dimebucker) in it.
I have a GSA60 and it goes out of tune a lot. I loved for the first 6 months I had it, and now I pretty much hate it. If I could get it to stay in tune, I'd love it cause it is a really good guitar, but it doesn't sound that great. I bought and RG321MH and I have it Drop C and I love it. A lot of people hate the INF pickups, but I like them, although they aren't the greatest sounding pickups in the world. It is a guitar that is suited for more of a metal guitarist though, so if you aren't planning on playing some heavy stuff, I wouldn't reccomend it. And you can always upgrade the pickups later if you want. You can pick up a new RG321MH at Guitar Center for around $300. I bought mine used at Sam Ash for $200. It's an extremely durable guitar. I've dropped, banged it, etc. and it doesn't have a scratch. Some of the metal is a little tarnished around the pickups, but I don't know how old the guitar is either. Also, I recently played a Schechter that was about $300 and it was amazing. I went from playing clean chords and then put distortion on and played some Metallica riffs and it sounded great both ways. Schechters are really good guitars, but they start at $300. Also, get a Line 6 amp, especially with the new Spider IVs. Line 6 is an amazing amp for a metal/rock guitarist.