Here soon I'm thinkin about taking out around 500 bucks to buy a new guitar or amp.
I was wondering if I could have some suggestions on what you would get in this situation. I have a fender squier affinity fat strat and a peavey solo 15 watt practice amp.
I am a huge thrash metal fan so i am looking for something that is good for thrash.
So im up for suggestions on wether i should get a new amp or guitar and some suggestions of them.
Thanks
with such basic gear i doubt u care much about tone, and as u want thrash all u need to do is crank the gain to stupid and you wont have the ear to notice that tone apart from expensive high gain randall amps, id say new guitar, look into ibanez, something with EMG pickups, id recommend a 7 string, because in drop a tuning, u need never change ur tuning or fiddle around, u still have a full EADGBe normal guitar, but thanks to drop tuning, u can thrash ur heart out with drop d type one finger powerchords

look into seven strings, they provide so much versatilty
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
You might want to go for a Bugera 6262. It'll cost a few hundred extra, but it's an amazing tube amp for the price. Atleast, it is in my experience.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by JAustinMunn
You might want to go for a Bugera 6262. It'll cost a few hundred extra, but it's an amazing tube amp for the price. Atleast, it is in my experience.

It's WAY out of his price range.

I'd say a 6505 or 5150. Or XXX.

Off topic: YOU HAVE THE S2170SE?!?!?!
Quote by mamosa
It's WAY out of his price range.

I'd say a 6505 or 5150. Or XXX.

Off topic: YOU HAVE THE S2170SE?!?!?!

It's only $500 or so plus the cab. I say it's worth it, but you maybe right.

I mean BUGERA! The poor man's Peavey, because the 6505 is $1,200, and the 3120 (I own one) cost me $900.

And I do have an S 2170, but it's FB, not SE. It's beautiful, and I prefer the bubinga to the alder and the ebony. His name is "Bubba."

Also, the stock pickups were pretty weak, and I swapped them for Evo's and an Area 67 in the middle. I hear the stocks are supposed to be really good, so maybe I got a bad batch? Or maybe I have overly high standards... :/ Either way, he rocks now.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by JAustinMunn
It's only $500 or so plus the cab. I say it's worth it, but you maybe right.

I mean BUGERA! The poor man's Peavey, because the 6505 is $1,200, and the 3120 (I own one) cost me $900.

And I do have an S 2170, but it's FB, not SE. It's beautiful, and I prefer the bubinga to the alder and the ebony. His name is "Bubba."

Also, the stock pickups were pretty weak, and I swapped them for Evo's and an Area 67 in the middle. I hear the stocks are supposed to be really good, so maybe I got a bad batch? Or maybe I have overly high standards... :/ Either way, he rocks now.

I. WANT. IT. NOW.

I'll trade you my Ibanez, which is more valuable! And better for you! It's got vitamins, I swear!!!
Quote by mamosa
I. WANT. IT. NOW.

I'll trade you my Ibanez, which is more valuable! And better for you! It's got vitamins, I swear!!!

I'm sorry, but I'm sure if I had a child, and there was a fire consuming my house, I think I would go for Bubba first. After all, the child has legs. Right?

But honestly, I don't think I would ever part with him. He was a gift from my parents during a really hard time in my life, and he's gorgeous, I waited forever for him, etc. Y'know? Not to mention he sounds and plays amazingly. He's so important to me, I took out an insurance policy on him too.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by mamosa
I. WANT. IT. NOW.

I gotta ask you though,

If you're serious about trading your 82 Destroyer for my S2170, why would you do that? Why do you like the S's so much?
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
New amp all the way man no matter how many good guitar + pickup combinations you put through the amp it will still sound like poop.
Quote by JAustinMunn
I gotta ask you though,

If you're serious about trading your 82 Destroyer for my S2170, why would you do that? Why do you like the S's so much?

I just love them ('83 Destroyer btw). I was about to buy one I couldn't afford when the Bubinga ones were on MF for $600 before being discontinued, but when I clicked, it was already over

I tried one a while ago and loved it. It was amazing. I wanted one the whole time and I've been aching for one but could never find one/never had money when it was available.

Plus I want a good HSH guitar. I have a good HH guitar already that I like more than the Destroyer, so it doesn't get much playtime anyway.
Quote by mamosa
I just love them ('83 Destroyer btw). I was about to buy one I couldn't afford when the Bubinga ones were on MF for $600 before being discontinued, but when I clicked, it was already over

I tried one a while ago and loved it. It was amazing. I wanted one the whole time and I've been aching for one but could never find one/never had money when it was available.

Plus I want a good HSH guitar. I have a good HH guitar already that I like more than the Destroyer, so it doesn't get much playtime anyway.

Ah man! They were going for $600!?!? That sucks. Luckily, my insurance company went off of MF's MSRP for the policy. So, if (god forbid) he gets stolen or broken, I get 1,800 bucks... So I guess I can't get too mad they went for so cheap.

The new S's are awesome too. I'd get one if I could afford it.

But yea, I love my S. Don't think I could trade him, but it really is tempting. I gotta say.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Ditch the Squier and get either one of these Ibanez:

RG2EX1 VS RG321

or

Now you have $200 bucks left over for an amp. Get a used Valveking 112.

You might be $20 bucks over your budget but you could always sell off your old gear to recoup it + buy some stomp boxes.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
Last edited by MrSandMan at Sep 9, 2009,
dude here is the best advice EVER!!!:

USE YOUR LOCAL CRAIGSLIST!!!

for 500 you could get a nice combo amp for maybe 200-250. a nice peavey would do very well or maybe a crate halfstack. and with the rest of the money you could get an used jackson, ibanez, and stuff like that. without a doubt. just look for the cheapest and best looking guitars.
Classical Guitarist