After many years of not listening to Eric Johnson, I just got the bug again, for some reason, and want the violin tone.

I realize that a lot of his tone is in his fingers, but I'm talking about the violin effect. So far, about 10 guys that I have found online have this sound, but I can't seem to get them to answer my emails, or they just send me to some website link and I back where I started. Maybe they just don't want me to know???

Here is one of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Se0lzbm7k

EJ uses an old Dallas Arbiter fuzz face, Marshall Plexi, Butler Tube Driver, and Echoplex for his lead sound.

I just bought an Echoplex and Tube driver. Right now I have a Laney AOR Pro Tube Lead and an old 1965 Blackface Twin.

The Laney has the push pull knobs, and a lot of people say they sound, or can sound, a lot like an old Plexi. It has a lot of different of combinations of sounds. I can mess with it for hours and get anything from Ratt, ACDC, Black Sabbath, blues, to classic rock sounds.

What is the best fuzz pedal that I should buy!

Is the new Dunlop JHF1 Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face any good for chasing the violin type tone? Is it really noisy?
i didnt actually read this whole post but if anything related to fuzz either go with the EHX BIG MUFF or the ZVEX FUZZ FACTORY
Gear
Fender MIM strat
Epiphone G-400 in white (yeah i know, fuck you i like it)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff
Danelectro Cool Cat Distortion
EHX Nano Small Stone
Boss DD-3 Delay
Vox V847-A Wah
Radial London Bones
http://guitargeek.com/rigview/588/

EDIT: excuse my ignorance. id say the best fuzz would be going for the one he uses, whether a remake or not. most of the tone came from him using 3 different amps simultaneously actually.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Last edited by TK1 at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by StratMaster2
i didnt actually read this whole post but if anything related to fuzz either go with the EHX BIG MUFF or the ZVEX FUZZ FACTORY

just because it's the most popular doesn't mean that's all you should look at. there are TONS of fuzzes, and what's best is completely arguable.

that said, maybe take a look at a Lunar Module?
Analogman does a good mod 2 reissue fuzz faces that turn them into the original ones,I used to have one,reall nice sound
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by guitarted

just because it's the most popular doesn't mean that's all you should look at. there are TONS of fuzzes, and what's best is completely arguable.

that said, maybe take a look at a Lunar Module?

i picked them cause they are just plain awesome, and i dont really know alot of other fuzzes. the ZVEX is quite versitile though
Gear
Fender MIM strat
Epiphone G-400 in white (yeah i know, fuck you i like it)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff
Danelectro Cool Cat Distortion
EHX Nano Small Stone
Boss DD-3 Delay
Vox V847-A Wah
Radial London Bones
The violin tone doesn't involve a fuzz. It's a Strat with a hot bridge pickup with the tone rolled down, into a Butler Tube Driver into a cranked Plexi with treble quite low into a 4X12 with Greenbacks with an Echoplex or old MXR delay running post mic. The fuzz is for when he wants a more saxaphone type tone. The closest I've managed to get is with my Strat into a Tube Driver into a Zendrive 2 into an old Maxon delay into a very warm clean amp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
EJ's fuzz is just a normal silicon fuzz, believe it or not. He uses his Marshall Plexis cranked up with his treble knobs off (He uses Clapton's woman tone with his strat) and uses a BK Butler Tube Driver to boost it up a bit.

Also, his violin tone doesn't really consist of the fuzz, he just recently started using it more. There's an effects interview on youtube that harmony central did where he goes through his whole entire rig and his sounds. Also, if I recall he uses the Echoplex only on his clean channel, but don't quote me on that. His memory man is used to add more delay and is used more on his dirty channel, the MXR delay from what I also heard/read up on was used in conjuction with the fuzz because the echoplex and the memory man didn't flow well with the fuzz.
Quote by Eltis
lovepedal 200lbs! nails that tone imo

This and an analog delay. Easiest way to get it
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet