I want to stain my fretboard black I saw this on www.stewmac.com. I have also read somewhere that if you have ever used fret fast before then you can not stain your fretboard. Because of the silicon that's in it is that true? So is there something else I can use?

fret fast is silicon based, which is why most guitar techs will tell you that you shouldn't ever use it. It is true that you can not stain over silicon. You would need to find something to remove it first. I use gasoline or acetate to remove silicon from new windows in houses, but I'd NEVER put either on my fretboard.

Google to see if you can find a product to remove silicone that won't harm wood, and NEVER use fret fast again.
Depending on how much there is and how deep it is, you can use naptha or mineral spirits to remove the silicone.

Mask off the fretboard, wipe on a coat, wait for it to evaporate and repeat, not sure how many coats it would take, but say do it 3 times and then try staining it.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
fast fret doesn't contain silicon, it uses white mineral oil. there are other similar products that will mess up your fretboard, but ghs fast fret won't.
Quote by YouWantToKillME
I guess it's a 50/50 situation 50% say that it does and 50% said that it didn't which is it?

well, if you read the GHS website:

Not a spray! Contains no silicone[/B]. It’s a liquid in an applicator. Use it on strings, fretboard, back of neck. Lets fingers slide freely, keeps strings clean, is good for wood.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional