im not 100% sure if this is a legit bc rich.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/msg/1365188567.html

i mean the logo is the first one ive seen like that. and i have seen other bich's and none of them look like that. the thing is im not sure if its fake or not. i might trade it for my jackson JS1 for it. but i want to know that its not fake.
Classical Guitarist
hmm... I think that is either very old BC or fake... Im not sure with those pics
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
The headstocks used to look like that a while back, but something's fishy there. I don't know why, but the guitar looks off to me. How unfortunate considering how good of a deal it is.
on a few BC riches, there is sometimes just that exact 'R' on the headstock.. however i've never seen it with the rest of the stuff.. it doesn't look like it matches really.

not to say that its not authentic tho.. maybe someone had done that themselves.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
if u can try b4, i dont think it matters as long as it sounds good
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
exactly. something about this guitar doesnt feel right to me.
ive been looking up info on bc rich's and i found that the original nj series were hand made and high quality. but now its just like the bronze series. so im thinking either its a really old one, or fake.
Classical Guitarist
its very likely that it was made from parts that came from BC Rich. or its very old. seems like one of the builders at the plant made that for himself. or its a prototype. there were sometimes more prototypes than production guitars with the NJ series.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
The NJ series was not made until 2003, after they stopped using that headstock. Fake.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
A bich with that headstock? It does seem a little fishy.

Besides, unless those things have the octave strings on 'em, I think they're pretty useless anyway.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
yes wulphy has proven it to be a fake. he is the man. helped me figure out that the strat is legit and the bich is fake. good work wulphy.
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall
Quote by Wulphy
The NJ series was not made until 2003, after they stopped using that headstock. Fake.

they had high end nj series in the early/mid 80's that were high quality. this guy might unknowingly have one. and tahts whats getting to me.
Classical Guitarist
Quote by Zep_shizzle
they had high end nj series in the early/mid 80's that were high quality. this guy might unknowingly have one. and tahts whats getting to me.

Not in that color. If it was made in the 80's, the finishing that BC Rich use to use would have faded into a deep pinkish color.

EDIT: Not to mention that the NJ Series from the 80's was a "hidden" bolt on, meaning there was no plate, they put fake wood over the screws. Unless he bought a plate ad put it on...
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Last edited by Wulphy at Sep 9, 2009,
ohh well. i guess im not getting this thing. i was looking forward to it to
Classical Guitarist
Quote by Zep_shizzle

Hey man, just keep looking
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Zep_shizzle

Why? $100 is dick. Even if it's not a "real B.C Rich" it still is a nice axe man.
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-
Quote by Phil Collins
Why? $100 is dick. Even if it's not a "real B.C Rich" it still is a nice axe man.

If he saves it, he can get a real axe, rather than a cheapie fake one.

EDIT: And he's 16. To him, $100 is not dick.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Last edited by Wulphy at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by Wulphy
If he saves it, he can get a real axe, rather than a cheapie fake one.

EDIT: And he's 16. To him, $100 is not dick.

lol.
100 is nothing for me i have teh work. its just im not wasting any money and id rather trade my current bass and crappy guitar. or sell em but im having like no luck there.

EDIT* i already have a real axe man. my carvin dc200 is better than most guitars that are 2k.(even tho its worth 1k) its just i want a low end guitar i can use for gigs and customiz by throwing dimarzios in there. and maybe put better stuff on it too.
Classical Guitarist
Last edited by Zep_shizzle at Sep 9, 2009,
Don't listen to people who don't know what they are talking about.

The guitar is a real BC Rich! And it's cheap!
This is how the early imports looked like.
It's made in Nagoya, Japan(hence NJ series) in 83-85.
The pickups are not stock, neither are the volume/tone knobs.

I have a BC Rich NJ mockingbird from the same era and it's an amazing guitar. Mine is a neckthrough though(or should I say "hidden" bolt on hahaha!!!)

I say buy it!!!
why would someone go through the trouble to rip off a b.c rich? I'm not saying that they arent nice guitars, but b.c. rich is a somewhat esoteric company. known only to guitar players, who are more apt to spot knockoffs. whereas a Gibson or fender knock off would sell easier to the general public (who would buy it for the name on the headstock).

producing a knock off b.c. rich is like producing a knock off Timex. whats the point when everyone will buy a $5 Rolex (knock off)?
I say at least go try it out
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
That is an old BC Rich. I have had a few in the past. The logo and the headstock style was used back then, the script logo wasn't used until much later. If you look close at the back of the head stock you can see the R logo etched in the backs of the tuners. For $100.00 I would check it out and if it plays well I would get it. As far as the NJ Series goes it's been around for a while NJ stands for Nagoya, Japan from what I was told by a BC Rep at a guitar show where they were original made. I never followed up on it though. Then they were made in China but they didn't drop the NJ until later.

Not having it in my hands I can't say 100% but I really doubt it's a fake.

John
I am an early Rich fan. I would have said everything is fine with this guitar EXCEPT, I have never seen a NJ series bolt-on neck....other than STII or superstrat body. You could get several headstock and logo options on the early Riches but being a bolt-on makes me wonder if I missed something or if its shady.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Quote by DeanRedneck
why would someone go through the trouble to rip off a b.c rich? I'm not saying that they arent nice guitars, but b.c. rich is a somewhat esoteric company. known only to guitar players, who are more apt to spot knockoffs. whereas a Gibson or fender knock off would sell easier to the general public (who would buy it for the name on the headstock).

producing a knock off b.c. rich is like producing a knock off Timex. whats the point when everyone will buy a $5 Rolex (knock off)?

I guess you have never seen what vintage Riches go for. Customs and mia's are beyond Gibson prices. When Bernie Rico Sr was alive and running the show, you could not buy a better guitar for any price.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
I say buy it. I knew a guy who had a guitar just like that about 22 years ago! Some of these people are not as smart as they think they are.
Real or fake, I wouldn't buy it, it's ugly ass hell, and I love B.C. Riches.
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
Quote by miketheslut
I guess you have never seen what vintage Riches go for. Customs and mia's are beyond Gibson prices. When Bernie Rico Sr was alive and running the show, you could not buy a better guitar for any price.

you missed my point. I know old riches are worth money. but if someone is going to counterfiet something, they usually go for the broadest market, which is not bc rich.

any average jerkoff knows what a gibson is. guitar players are really the only people who know what a bc rich is, and would be more apt to spot a fake.
BC Rich has a chinese line. its not unheard of for the factory to slide some out the back door. but the china bich's came wayyyy later than this headstock. a chinese bich or a chinese fake would have the 6 inline headstock. or the 3+3 pointy headstock. it could also be a leftover neck that someone stole from the old NJ factory. dumpster diving happens all the time at guitar factories. just talk to anyone who works at one. after that its just a template away to make a bich at home. factory workers have access to the templates obviously.

EDIT: real B C Rich's from the 80's are dropping faster than the housing market. a nice neckthrough in black will run you $800 - 900 on ebay. I never thought it would happen but it did. people are dumping them to get new gear.
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall
Last edited by fullsailstudent at Sep 10, 2009,
Definitely real. I used to have an '85 NJ Mockingbird in that exact color. Had the same layout as well (minus the p-ups and mine had a trem). They are great players and are kind of a steal since people lump the old BC Rich with the new BC Rich in terms of quality (which is helping to keep these gems very affordable).

The only thing I don't like about them though, is the short scale 24 3/8 inches.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by DeanRedneck
you missed my point. I know old riches are worth money. but if someone is going to counterfiet something, they usually go for the broadest market, which is not bc rich.

any average jerkoff knows what a gibson is. guitar players are really the only people who know what a bc rich is, and would be more apt to spot a fake.

ah, I get ya now.
Quote by fullsailstudent

EDIT: real B C Rich's from the 80's are dropping faster than the housing market. a nice neckthrough in black will run you $800 - 900 on ebay. I never thought it would happen but it did. people are dumping them to get new gear.

depends on the model series. I saw a '76 eagle bass go for nearly $14k and other than being mint, it was nothing special. I have been offered $1300 as a trade in for my mia recently and she shows her miles. But I have also seen '80's NJ series STIII for under $100 in pretty good shape. But for the most part, teh mias sell for what they did new in average condition, a little more if mint.
Last edited by miketheslut at Sep 10, 2009,
Quote by Wulphy

N J series have been made since the late 70's!
A rule of thumb when you're buying guitars, if something just doesn't seem right, don't buy it.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt