Amazing insight of a mission in Afghanistan. Amazing pictures and description of the events.
http://www.michaelyon-online.com/eight-years-after-911.htm
Quote by The article
IED strikes are not like the war movies where somebody gets shot, falls down dying in his buddy’s arms saying, “Tell Lara…cough cough… Tell Lara…I love her.” And his buddy says, “No Jimmy, hang in there! Tell her yourself! Tell her yourself! Don’t die Jimmy! Don’t die you bastard!”

No, that’s not how it is at all. After an IED strike you are using sticks to knock body parts and gear out of trees, and you are collecting arms, legs, and helmets splattered with brains. Bodies get blown from one compound into another compound, and parts land on roofs. Weapons are completely lost or shattered into pieces. There is nothing romantic about the bombs. It’s straight up combat. Body parts we cannot find get eaten by dogs and nobody wants that, so we try to find every little piece—if time permits, and if there is enough light. Lately, the enemy have often been killing more of us with the second bomb than the first. After we get blown up and start collecting casualties, BOOM, other bombs start exploding.

EDIT: I've been checking some of the journalist's other stuff. If you can, check it. It's amazing.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Sep 9, 2009,
That was the best article about this war I've ever read. Really well written and those pictures illustrated it so well. It's such a shame that it's a pointless war really.
An alum from my school was killed by an IED couple weeks ago in Afghanistan. Terrible stuff going on.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
I'm probably going to watch the stuff on History 9.10 and 9.11
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

\w/ gear-vault.com \w/
That was, in my opinion, a really well written site.
The guy wasn't arguing for any one side, he was just giving the facts as they appeared at the time. Too few journalists seem to do that these days.

I saw the Ross Kemp documentary as well, and that was just as informative. It's fascinating the job these people are willing to do to keep us safe..
definately NOT tl;dr... because i read it all..

great stuff.. thanks for sharing it man
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by namesroverrated
An alum from my school was killed by an IED couple weeks ago in Afghanistan. Terrible stuff going on.

dude really?

do you know who/what year he graduated?
Go Veg.
Quote by silent_suicide
That was, in my opinion, a really well written site.
The guy wasn't arguing for any one side, he was just giving the facts as they appeared at the time. Too few journalists seem to do that these days.

I saw the Ross Kemp documentary as well, and that was just as informative. It's fascinating the job these people are willing to do to keep us safe..

That's one of the things that I appreciated the most. He talked about how the troops suffer, but also said that the military doesn't allow the Afghans to have electricity and lie about the Taliban not allowing people to use electricity.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Well, I was going to join the Army after I graduate... but after reading "and a soldier who lost his genitals, which happens more often than one might think." I may reconsider... or maybe choose a non-combat job.

I feel bad for the guy.

Interesting read though, thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Quote by im not mental
dude really?

do you know who/what year he graduated?

Graduated in '97, name was John Hallet
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children