Well today at band practice, after tuning up, I turned on my Hartke GT60 half(ish)-stack, and as I started to play it sounded like complete and utter sh*t. I was livid to say the least. So my band and I diagnosed the issue as sounding like all 4 speakers were blown...sometime between our last gig and this practice...wtf?! how?! it hasn't been on in 3 days? Srsly? Well I decided to take her home to make sure and see if that was truly what was up. As i am hauling her ass up stairs i...aggressively set the head at the top of the stairs. I get her inside, plug her in and get the same set up running as at practice (Jackson King V with the EMG 81/85 Combo-> Digitech RP90 -> Amp) and low and behold, everything sounds like it did before, no blown speaker sound, it sounds like it normally did. Which makes me wonder, being that it has a tube preamp(a 12AX7 for the gain which i do use moderately), could a slowly failing preamp tube cause that sh*tty, almost blown sound? could it have been a bad connection jarred back into place when i aggressively set my head at the top of the stairs? or is my cab just f*ckin with me?

Added from post 4 for clarification:
I had previously tested my normal tone at both home and with the band, the tone i heard while i was at practice was NOT that tone. It honestly sounded as bad as having 4 blown speakers and when i first noticed it no one else was playing. The amp was at the same settings as always as was the my one pedal(i set my presets almost a year ago and have not touched them since). I cannot stress enough that my tone was tried and tested to sound relatively the same in both settings, i know what i heard was not the simple difference between the home and band setting, i have been in this band for a few months now with the same settings.
Last edited by Jammin_Jim at Sep 9, 2009,
It may be the size of the room your jamming in, a lot of things can effect your tone. But it is possible that you have a tube going out, possibly it got hot and then was put in a cooler environment.
Peace be thy journey
The tones that sound good by yourself can sound ****y in a band setting because of the presence of other instruments, for instanc if you like a lot of bass on your amp you may find in a band it gives you a muddy sound becuae you are fighing the bass player for frequencies.
I had previously tested my normal tone at both home and with the band, the tone i heard while i was at practice was NOT that tone. It honestly sounded as bad as having 4 blown speakers and when i first noticed it no one else was playing. The amp was at the same settings as always as was the my one pedal(i set my presets almost a year ago and have not touched them since). I cannot stress enough that my tone was tried and tested to sound relatively the same in both settings, i know what i heard was not the simple difference between the home and band setting, i have been in this band for a few months now with the same settings.
Why does nobody ever think of a power conditioner? I've played in some really crappy bars where for whatever reason, my amp couldn't get "clean" power.
If you take the amp there again and it keeps doing it, then you know the amp isn't the problem........it's the location that you're playing it at.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Dude, some rooms just don't like amps. At school i was playing the new amp my school just bought (Some Roland 15W but better than the 50 year-old Behringer things we have) and i was like "WTF! This sounds just as bad." I then moved rooms to go play with some other people in my class and all of a sudden it sounded pretty kickass (Well, as much as a Roland can). Another example, MG's don't sound unbearable in my room but do at other places. Might just be the jamspace is one of the crappy rooms. **** happens
Quote by theraven871
Why does nobody ever think of a power conditioner? I've played in some really crappy bars where for whatever reason, my amp couldn't get "clean" power.
If you take the amp there again and it keeps doing it, then you know the amp isn't the problem........it's the location that you're playing it at.

Well, though it's where i normally plug in, I could see it being a bad power outlet, i mean our drummer's house is in uber disrepair, tis a definite possibility that an outlet could be going out.
Quote by willT08
Dude, some rooms just don't like amps. At school i was playing the new amp my school just bought (Some Roland 15W but better than the 50 year-old Behringer things we have) and i was like "WTF! This sounds just as bad." I then moved rooms to go play with some other people in my class and all of a sudden it sounded pretty kickass (Well, as much as a Roland can). Another example, MG's don't sound unbearable in my room but do at other places. Might just be the jamspace is one of the crappy rooms. **** happens

Ok, what people don't seem to get is this is NOT the first time i have jammed in this room, this is our typical jamspace and we have practiced there since the beginning of July and i know my amp sounded like and it was NOT what i heard, hence I posted this thread, i am not some n00b a$$ retard that just started playing and joined a band, i have been playing for 5 years and, while i know that still isn't really that much, i know about differences in tone being caused by different rooms and environments.
It could be a loose connection somewhere in the head. About a year ago, my Vox AD100VTH would switch between working fine and sounding like it was full of sand. Took it to a place, told them to fix it and they said all they could find wrong was a loose connection that the re-soldered. [Then charged me through the nose for, by the way.]

But yeah, maybe it was some kind of dodgy connection that you bumped back into place?