i want to get an after market pickgaurd for my mim hss strat. but they don't really seem to vary on the sites so i was wondering if i bought a gaurd from like pickguard.com or guitar paridise.com if it would fit.

tips

hints

suggestions

please
Well, first off, most pickguards routed for HSS, or anything with a humbucker on a strat are only going to have one screw hole for each side of the humbucker to mount to on the pickguard. That's fine if you have anything aftermarket like a Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, etc, but Fender humbuckers use a 3 hole mounting scheme. For example, on mine, there are 2 screws on the left and one on the right of the humbucker, so if I ever want to put a Seymour Duncan in there I'll have to drill a single hole in the middle on the left side for it to mount to.

Long story short, yes MIA will fit MIM, just make sure you don't get a vintage 8-hole pickguard if you have 11 mounting holes. Also, if your humbucker has 3 mounting holes instead of the usual two, then check that on the pickguard first before you buy it, Fender brand guards usually always have the 3 holes, but most aftermarket stuff will not.

Sorry if that was somewhat incoherent, I just woke up and am running off little sleep.
Not quite.....The MIA has one extra screw on the pickguard that the MIM doesn't have. The others will fit but you will have that extra hole. You could always cut the top of a screw off and glue the head on the hole. Nobody would be the wiser.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
What extra screw would this be? This is the first I've heard. Strats only come in 8 hole and 11 hole guards as far as I know, the rest is just up to the pickup configuration.

And TS, here are some pictures to clear up what I said about the pickups. First pic shows the two holes on the left of the humbucker.

And here is a standard pickguard with one hole on the left
Last edited by chip46 at Sep 9, 2009,
Chances are good the holes won't line up perfectly and you may have to fill and re-drill some holes. Other than that, no worries.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by Musicman48858
Chances are good the holes won't line up perfectly and you may have to fill and re-drill some holes. Other than that, no worries.

Only if its an off-brand Strat. He said its MIM, hence its a Fender. Fender isn't going to make a dozen types of pickguards to go on thier whole line of guitars, they make one size fits all, the rest is just up to what pickup combo you want. Unless of course you have a vintage 8 hole strat, in which case the 11 hole pickguards won't line up.
Last edited by chip46 at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by chip46
Only if its an off-brand Strat. He said its MIM, hence its a Fender. Fender isn't going to make a dozen types of pickguards to go on thier whole line of guitars, they make one size fits all, the rest is just up to what pickup combo you want. Unless of course you have a vintage 8 hole strat, in which case the 11 hole pickguards won't line up.

I know it's an MIM, but the sites he talked about sell off-brand pickguards... which don't always line up.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Well Pickguards.com has something to do with WD Music, so he probably wouldn't have a problem there. I don't know about the other one, but typically most places will cut their guards to Fender Strat specs, seeing as how the Fender Strat is the industry standard in strat style guitars. All others after Fender are copies after all.
ok thanks everyone. chip46, my guard does have a 3 hole bridge pup. but i was thinkin of getting a different pup anyway and from what it sounds like a standard guard would make that easier anyway.

to clear up any confusion the guitar is a genuine fender.

thanks agian
follow up...

after market guard fit fine. as long as is carries the actual fender name. it should work.