Right now, I'm playing a Boss GT-10 through a home entertainment system. I really like the tone I get from that. But I want to join a band so I need a more practical practice solution. I've been looking at tube amps for ages, but I can't seem to find one that I like that costs less than $2000 for the head. And even then, I usually like the sound of the GT-10 better for some stuff. I'm not quite sure what it is. The distortion sounds a lot smoother in my current setup. My leads are very musical and are flute or violin-like. I haven't found that in an actual amp. I'm not very happy with my rhythm tone unless I'm using a silly amount of gain, which is OK for the music I play. Then again, I haven't really tried tweaking a mid-gain sound yet. I'm not sure if it's the amp speakers which is the common denominator in the amps I've tried. I don't like the solid state ones that I've tried either, but I've only tried cheap solid state amps. And it seems like most solid-state amps try to imitate tube amps. I don't think I really like the characteristics of tubes. I can't really describe it. They just sound grainy when using gain. And they seem to have a delayed, bouncy attack. I like tubes for cleans and mid-gain stuff, but think I prefer solid state for all-out distortion. I originally got the GT-10 for effects, and intended to get a better amp in the future. I was playing a Behringer but that died so I resorted to my surround sound system. It does sound much better on my mom's high-end stereo system though. There's a lot more depth and warmth. I mainly play 80s hair metal type like Motley Crue, Poison, Ratt, and W.A.S.P.. What do you recommend for me? I was thinking about getting a JC-120 and using my GT-10 with that. Would that be the best for me?
if you're using the boss pedal, you should be able to skip the preamp on the amp, and just use the speakers on the amp and get direct sound. My amp has that in the effects loop, not sure if all amps do though.
I think you need to get a real idea of what a typical guitar amp actually sounds like. I was disappointed with my amp at first, but put a mic in front of it & mix it or put it in a band situation and it all makes sense.

Of course, it could just be that your GT10 is really good (and thus, was a good buy).
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Get a poweramp and run it through that into a 4x12? You could also get a decent tube amp with an fx-loop, that way you can run your gt-10 through that.
Quote by FischmungaXTR
I think you need to get a real idea of what a typical guitar amp actually sounds like. I was disappointed with my amp at first, but put a mic in front of it & mix it or put it in a band situation and it all makes sense.

Of course, it could just be that your GT10 is really good (and thus, was a good buy).

That's a good point. When I play with a backing track or in a band situation, it sounds a lot better. That could also explain why everyone I listen to plays tube amps. Should I stick with the plan to buy an X100B and hope for the best?
For maybe hair metal get a used Marshall JCM800 and maybe an OD pedal if you need more gain.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz