I hold my plectrum like this-

I pick strings at an angle of ~90 degrees.
Like this, I'm having major problems playing fast stuff like COB, Dream Theater etc.

If I hold it the way I see people on YouTube holding it, it sounds tinny and screechy.
What am I doing wrong?
There's not really a wrong pick holding style I think. That is within normal boundaries, holding it with your pink and ringfinger may not yield the best results :P

Experiment I guess, hold it the way you like it best. I for one hold it between my index and thumb like this:

<----Thumb
Pick is perpendicular to both
------>Index

Lots of video's and lessons I have seen suggest holding it with the index parallel to the pick and the thumb perpendicular to it, or even both index and thumb parallel to the pick, but I find my way gives me more control.

Oh, and also try picking the strings at an angle, not straight onto them. I don't mean the up/down motion but bringing the left (or right) side of the pick down or up, like so:

If this is a string: -------------- instead of picking with the pick like - try picking like /

If that makes any sense at all
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
Last edited by Azunaii at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by Azunaii
There's not really a wrong pick holding style I think. That is within normal boundaries, holding it with your pink and ringfinger may not yield the best results :P

Experiment I guess, hold it the way you like it best. I for one hold it between my index and thumb like this:

<----Thumb
Pick is perpendicular to both
------>Index

Lots of video's and lessons I have seen suggest holding it with the index parallel to the pick and the thumb perpendicular to it, or even both index and thumb parallel to the pick, but I find my way gives me more control.

Oh, and also try picking the strings at an angle, not straight onto them. I don't mean the up/down motion but bringing the left (or right) side of the pick down or up, like so:

If this is a string: -------------- instead of picking with the pick like - try picking like /

If that makes any sense at all

I meant, why is my tone so tinny? My school teacher holds his pick the way mostpeople hold it, with the pick angles forward, and his tone is perfect.
Only when you hold the pick like that? You sure it's not something wrong with the gear? I don't get alot of sound difference if I change my holding style, only when I change the angle of the attack really... Also I'm not sure what you mean with tinny.

EDIT: Here's how I hold it

PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
Last edited by Azunaii at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by Azunaii
Only when you hold the pick like that? You sure it's not something wrong with the gear? I don't get alot of sound difference if I change my holding style, only when I change the angle of the attack really... Also I'm not sure what you mean with tinny.

EDIT: Here's how I hold it

I mean, I hear the sound of the pick scraping against the string more than the note. And I have had this problem on a wide variety of gear, from cheap acoustics to LTD EX's to Fender showmasters.
BTW even in the tinny position I hold the pik at 60-90 degrees angled forward. If I angle it a similar amount backward, I get a full, clear, rich sound
EDIT: thats how I hold it when I get a tinny sound.
Nice nails.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 9, 2009,
the "tinny" sounds may be harmonics because you can easily touch your strings if you dont really control this way of holding your pick, but it should make such a big difference
Quote by Ravnica01
the "tinny" sounds may be harmonics because you can easily touch your strings if you dont really control this way of holding your pick, but it should make such a big difference

I use light anchoring. So I cant touch the strings.
EDIT: if you mean accidenta PH's, I would have heard the squeals. I rarely keep gain below 10. I mean, imagine using a cell phone speaker as an amp. Thats the kind of thin ness I get.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
I mean, I hear the sound of the pick scraping against the string more than the note. And I have had this problem on a wide variety of gear, from cheap acoustics to LTD EX's to Fender showmasters.

This tells me that you're not picking perpendicular to the string, but at an angle and scraping along it's length a bit. Slow down, watch your technique, and adjust.