Hey. Lately ive been getting really annoyed at myself when ive been playing my guitar, ive noticed quite alot of what im playing sounds the same, im re-using the same old licks and im stuck in that bluesy rut. Just wondered if anyone had any advice on how i can overcome this obsticle, and also how i can improve my playing when it comes to imrpovising and creating solos, and also how to escape the blues
one thing which im working on, which i often forget to do but which when i remember, is very useful, is to treat your guitar like a voice, as if youre singing
you cant constantly sing superfast licks and if you did it wouldnt sound good - think of the guitar as your vocal chords and play in a way which is fast and loud only for emphasis instead of constantly
i dunno if i put that idea across very well but hopefully youll understand what i mean.
Yeah i see what you mean, ive been trying a method lately which is along similar lines where you use your voice as a tool. Thinking of a melody, then humming it with your voice, and then working it out on guitar. Thats helped me a bit but i shall also try your method
Begin using the major and minor scales as opposed to pentatonic and blues scales, which will sound bluesier.
ive found myself in the exact same rut and the truth is i only know the blues pentatonic so ive been working on the major scale and intervals just to intro myself into theory id say its a good apraoch to get out of that rut instead of just jamming random blues stuff
Quote by alphablade7
Hey. Lately ive been getting really annoyed at myself when ive been playing my guitar, ive noticed quite alot of what im playing sounds the same, im re-using the same old licks and im stuck in that bluesy rut. Just wondered if anyone had any advice on how i can overcome this obsticle, and also how i can improve my playing when it comes to imrpovising and creating solos, and also how to escape the blues

how to "escape" the blues........Learn something other than blues.
* (you won't necessarily escape it, but you'll expand, and that's really what you want)

How to get better at phrasing...

learn what a phrase is
learn to recognize phrases in music (aurally...... and visually if you have reading skills)
practicing writing phrases
practice playing phrases
be patient, it takes time
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 9, 2009,
One quick fix that Ive discovered is learn to play a scale in a different position or pattern.

I think we get used to "phrasing" with the same finger or landing the same note because of mindlessly getting into a repeating comfort zone.

I guarantee you will find something new the first try.
Two very good posts here... Guitarmunky and kthxbi... If you use both of these you will improve immediately. Breathing is very important in musical phrasing.

When you understand that last line I typed, and start applying it... well, see for yourself
One thing you can do is pick maybe four notes from the scale and only use those during soloing. It really makes you explore all your options when playing because you have to work with such little.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join