I normally play in drop D or below. I want a size bigger then 46-10 but idk what to get.. What strings would be best???? Metal and rock mostly.
B.C. Rich Warlock, 24Frets
S.D.M.F.
Words Can Be Broken...So Can Bones

Last edited by Rocker396 at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by HopePoisoned
I hate Ernie Ball.

I play Elixir personally.

Not an Elixir fan (though I like them much more on electrics), but I second the Ernie Ball hatred. I have a stack of awesome Ernie Ball stickers, but I never put them on anything because I won't play them.

If it's a long scale guitar, I agree with the GHS medium top/heavy bottoms. If it's a short scale, I'd just get 12s. You'll get used to it faster than you think. In college I played 12s on my guitars just so my roommate and his buddies wouldn't touch my guitar.

"Zack, your guitar is so hard to play."

"Good. Leave it alone."
Quote by jean_genie
Not an Elixir fan (though I like them much more on electrics), but I second the Ernie Ball hatred. I have a stack of awesome Ernie Ball stickers, but I never put them on anything because I won't play them.

If it's a long scale guitar, I agree with the GHS medium top/heavy bottoms. If it's a short scale, I'd just get 12s. You'll get used to it faster than you think. In college I played 12s on my guitars just so my roommate and his buddies wouldn't touch my guitar.

"Good. Leave it alone."

lol, probably great for building finger strength too.
Quote by jean_genie

"Good. Leave it alone."

lol. I hate when people f*ck with my guitar.
S.D.M.F.

Quote by Shabadoo
lol, probably great for building finger strength too.

Probably lol.
S.D.M.F.

I've found that the new Titanium coated Ernie Ball strings are really solid. You don't have to pay the elixir cost, and the coating isn't anywhere near as noticeable. I've tried out just about every brand there are, and the tops for me were GHS (used to have 10-60's on my ironbird about 8 years ago), Ernie Ball Titaniums (10-46's on my Godin and Schecter), and other than that I've been using DR's on my Acoustics as well as my other back up electrics.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
54-11 beef slinkies feel too tight on a warlock without a truss adjustment imo.

Why do you want thicker strings again?
I actually find Elixers to be the best all around string, except for acoustic, I will never buy Elixers for acoustic again. But for electric guitar they sound the best and last the longest and hold their tone the longest of any coated string I've ever tried. The are worth the priced if they last for 6 months and still sound great. But I find that .10's are just fine in a Drop D tuning, I play in Drop A# and the .10's hold up just fine. But if you want you can buy .11's or .12's, but its going to suck going back into standard tuning.
Quote by Demon_dave
I've found that the new Titanium coated Ernie Ball strings are really solid. You don't have to pay the elixir cost, and the coating isn't anywhere near as noticeable. I've tried out just about every brand there are, and the tops for me were GHS (used to have 10-60's on my ironbird about 8 years ago), Ernie Ball Titaniums (10-46's on my Godin and Schecter), and other than that I've been using DR's on my Acoustics as well as my other back up electrics.

*high five*
Quote by HopePoisoned
I hate Ernie Ball.

I play Elixir personally.

yea I don't like ernie ball either.
try D'Adarrios 11/49's, great strings
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by uncreativelolol
54-11 beef slinkies feel too tight on a warlock without a truss adjustment imo.

Why do you want thicker strings again?

sounds better when drop tuned
S.D.M.F.

So what are the best ones then lol. I see like six different kinds right now
S.D.M.F.

Quote by Demon_dave

+1 for the EB titaniums. I used regular EB beefies before, and now I'm in love with the titanium coated for my strat. I just put a new set on after about 4 months of regular play every day. I didn't get to point where I absolutely had to change them, they could have easily lasted another month.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
EB slinky skinny top heavy bottom
or dr tite fit alexi laiho signature set
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by Rocker396
sounds better when drop tuned

You really should only stick to one tuning and half step up and down on one guitar imo.

What tuning are you going for?

Drop D = 10/11s

D standard = 11/12

Drop C 11/12s with a 56 low e

And add about a thicker size for every step down you go.
I once had D'Adarrios but didn't like them; mine broke easily and the sound didn't last long.
But the GHS Boomers are still in great condition, I didn't replaced them for a year
Control your destiny.
Last edited by habits at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by habits
I once had D'Adarrios but didn't like them; mine broke easily and the sound didn't last long.
But the GHS Boomers are still in great condition, I didn't replaced them for a year

really, huh. D'Addarios seem to last the longest of the ones I use and in 30+ years I have never broke a string.
What I really want to know is how in the hell can you leave strings on for a year, you didn't play 11 months of that year or something. I don't care what kind of strings I have used, a month and half is the max I have been able to get before they start sounding like ****.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by madh4ttr
really, huh. D'Addarios seem to last the longest of the ones I use and in 30+ years I have never broke a string.
What I really want to know is how in the hell can you leave strings on for a year, you didn't play 11 months of that year or something. I don't care what kind of strings I have used, a month and half is the max I have been able to get before they start sounding like ****.

Everyone has different opinions and experiences; my experience with D'addarios wasn't that good so I picked up GHS strings.
I'm just too lazy to change the strings; simple as that
Control your destiny.
Quote by uncreativelolol
You really should only stick to one tuning and half step up and down on one guitar imo.

What tuning are you going for?

Drop D = 10/11s

D standard = 11/12

Drop C 11/12s with a 56 low e

And add about a thicker size for every step down you go.

well when I have one decent guitar and hundreds of songs to play im not going to play in one tuning. Think about it.
S.D.M.F.

Quote by madh4ttr

I might pick up a set if they are really that good. But im smarter than to leave my strings on for a year. Im still wondering how that guy left them on there for.
S.D.M.F.

d'addario's ftw!

but recently my guitar went in for some work on the bridge and they charged me for a setup, the guy that did it never paid attention to me when i told him i had some strings in the case to put on, and he put some on that were mixed with copper or something? the higher strings have a gold colour to them and they're awesome, i don't know what they are called though
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Made Strat with hot rails
Orange Rockerverb 50 MkII
Orange PPC212 OB
Tanglewood TW1000SR/FPP
TC Electronics Polytune
Line 6 DL4
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss Ch-1
Quote by Reaper2502
d'addario's ftw!

but recently my guitar went in for some work on the bridge and they charged me for a setup, the guy that did it never paid attention to me when i told him i had some strings in the case to put on, and he put some on that were mixed with copper or something? the higher strings have a gold colour to them and they're awesome, i don't know what they are called though

you mean they have a better tone and feel or do they just look good???
S.D.M.F.

Quote by Rocker396
well when I have one decent guitar and hundreds of songs to play im not going to play in one tuning. Think about it.

Well next time you double post, try thinking about the rules.

And there aren't hundreds, try hundred thousands of songs. Are you telling me you're going to learn every single one? Didn't think so. Most people would agree there are no "best strings" to buy. You'll want to have a size suited for your tuning, though, or over time you'll end up with a very warped neck and a tossed truss rod.
Mah Rig
Guitars:
BC Rich Mockingbird (X2N)
Schecter Hellraiser (81/85)

Amps:
Peavey 5150 head (Distortion obv)
Vox AC30 (Cleans)

Board:
EH Small Clone
ZW Sig Wah (meh)
Boss NS-2
it depends completely on what tuning you play in the most and personal preference.

I used to like ernie ball until I tried d'addario and fell in love, but as far as gauges, I prefer 9s for E standard and drop D, I used 11s for D standard, and the biggest thing I can find for anything lower than that.

and constantly changing the tuning drastically is bad for the neck, if you're just going from E to D occasionally it shouldn't be too bad, but if you're going from E standard to B standard, up to drop C, back down to Drop A, up to D standard, etc then you'll end up warping the neck.

and if you have a guitar set for a certain tuning you'll be able to set it up better so it'll play a lot better.

for example, I use my main guitar for E standard and drop D, since that's what I play in the most, I have my acoustic in Eb because I prefer that on an acoustic, and I use my bullet for all the low stuff, I normally keep it in D standard, but I go down to B standard sometimes too, but I generally keep it in one tuning for a while before changing, and I check to make sure the neck is fine every once in a while.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Sep 10, 2009,
necks arent as fragile as some in this thread seem to be hinting. though going from e to a all the time isnt necessarily a good idea.
and i use beefies. i really like them, have had 0 problems with them
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Rocker396
you mean they have a better tone and feel or do they just look good???

both
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Made Strat with hot rails
Orange Rockerverb 50 MkII
Orange PPC212 OB
Tanglewood TW1000SR/FPP
TC Electronics Polytune
Line 6 DL4
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss Ch-1