ok so my problem is as follows:

i want 2 things: - an electric guitar
- an amp

i am not a begginer as such and have been playing for nearly 3 years, but i think its time i got some new gear. at the moment i have a harley benton LP copy (was about £100) and a harley benton 10 watt amp (was about £40). i have quite a broad range of tastes. bands i like and play are AC/DC, tenacious D, arctic monkeys, oasis, the fratellies, flight of the conchords, frans ferdinand. also singers like jason mraz (absolutly no heavy metal unless your name is iron madien or black sabbath ). and i want a guitar that could match these styles in the middle. my budget would be somthing like £400 max but i would preffer somthing a little cheaper.

im not too sure wat im looking for in an amp as my current one is, well to put it plainly sh*te. i want a solid state, with some decent effects on it and with possibility for a footswitch . Probably about 30watt to 65 watts. and it needs to be good for gigs
my buget is something around £200 i could go a little higher if needs must.

please help !!!

edit1 :

ive just decided that my total budget would propably be closer to £400 or £500 for the whole thing.

and thanks for ALL the really quick replies. they have allready been very helpful
Last edited by funny18 at Sep 9, 2009,
Id say go the other way round... £400 amp and £200 guitar. You can get a nice tube amp that would be loud enough for gigs for £400, and there are some decent £200 guitars.

Amp > Guitar.
for a nice guitar you should look at Vintage, they make a nice range of guitars for sensible prices.
They make an SG for around 200 if i remember correctly and mine plays really nicely. Thing is, you should make sure you play before you buy - they dont seem to be built to a tight tolerance.
If your whole budget is 600 you could spend 400 on the amp this way :P
For just over 200 you can get a marshall AVT 4x12 (make sure it's this original one because they use much better speakers than the tribute series) and then with your remaining 150-200 you could pick up a second hand head to go with it, the AVT150H is a nice option and produces a nice range of sound (i dont know if the valve pre-amp makes much difference but i like the tone i get from it ) i payed 150 including shipping for my avt150h on ebay and it's in fine condition other than some nicks in the tolex

EDIT: the guy above me is on the same wavelength, or there abouts :P

EDIT2: the amp is 150 watt but just using it's volume controls i can run it at bedroom level and still get a great sound, it's also plenty loud enough for gigs and has a footboard switch available for around £50 new (but often these will come with the head)
Last edited by Bigsteve92 at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by marc0mu
Id say go the other way round... £400 amp and £200 guitar. You can get a nice tube amp that would be loud enough for gigs for £400, and there are some decent £200 guitars.

Amp > Guitar.

I agree with this, or split your budget even at 300 a piece.

If you want a versitalie guitar, a fat strat is about as versatile as they come, should be able to pick up a used one for 300 euros. As far as an amp goes, I might suggest a Blackstar HT-5, though you'd need to mic it up for gigs. you could also look into Vox Valvetronix you could probably pick up a 30W in your range and maybe a 50W if you're lucky.
Quote by Bigsteve92
for a nice guitar you should look at Vintage, they make a nice range of guitars for sensible prices.
They make an SG for around 200 if i remember correctly and mine plays really nicely. Thing is, you should make sure you play before you buy - they dont seem to be built to a tight tolerance.

do you have a web address for this vintage company?
If you save a bit more, you can get a nice mid-range Ibanez and a Line 6 Flextone.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_flextoneiii_xl_gitarrencombo.htm

Guitars:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_ajd71tbk.htm Could be nice for you
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_sa260fmamb.htm

If you dont want to save your money, get the Flextone used.
Quote by guidothepimmp
if youre in england, check out laney for amplification.

The VC15 is my next amp. Looking twice at your bands, I think it would be good for you too
thanks all yes i am in england and i would class the style im looking for not pop, but classic rock and indie
Id say spend the 200 on hardware for your current guitar. New pickup(s) or better tuners can make quite the difference.

If you must get a new guitar, Ibanez are probably one of the better values for a budget.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
vox ad30
@jecox ssssoooo ssweeeet that whole set up is so sweet. If I had any distortion/delay setup it would be the akai headrush and BM. Awesome set up.