I've played guitar for around 2 years and I want to pick up bass as well. I know that guitar and bass are different beasts but in my personal experience there is a fair amount of crossover, so I don't want to start out with a total POS

I play (or try to play =P) all types of music, but I always find myself gravitating to metal...

I played a schecter stiletto at GC the other day and I really liked the feel and sound of it, but it's a bit out of my price range at $400.. My budget is only about $300 US.

I've heard good things about both:
Peavey - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Millennium-4-AC-BXP-4-String-Bass-104145099-i1146983.gc

Traben - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Traben-Array-4-String-Bass-512053-i1147527.gc (digging the look of this one more atm)

Which would YOU recommend bass forum?
Epi Les Paul (SD JB and SD Jazz (Both coil-split))
Ibanez RG Prestige (w/ killswitch)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Valveking 112 (w/ Man O War)
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Dunlop allas Arbiter Fuzz Face
BOSS DD-3 Delay
BOSS ML-2 MetalCore Distortion
I had the same dilemna a few months ago, I went for the peavey, better tone and it just felt amazing.
Millenium i mean if LOG's bassist uses one then they have to be pretty goddamn good :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I'd also like to vouch for the peavey, great basses.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Personally, I'd say the Traben, but maybe thats just cause I'm a Traben owner. I can say that the quality is amazing for the price, although some people find the longer neck and body shape to be awkward or uncomfortable. Though one of my best pals has the Peavey and I'll agree with the above that it too is an excellent bass. I'll suggest the Traben, but you really need to go to Guitar Center or something and play them both
TS:

when i was browsin i thought the i read the topic name as ''Millennium or Tom Araya? ''

woops

*skampers off into the distance*
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
He used the cheaper, passive one. Not anymore though. He uses Jackson.

Just shows how much im keeping up with LOG nowadays nonetheless its a good bass :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I have the Millennium (the 5-string passive version, anyway) and it's pretty nice bass. I say go for it.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
both are good basses, just go with which ever one feels the best to you
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
I'd get the Traben myself, I've found those things to be both of decent weight and punchy, and the millenium to have a little more clack than desired.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I think I'm leaning toward the peavey now.. of course i'm still gonna play the hell out of it before i buy..

on another topic.. active or passive? what's the difference? (in bass guitars)
Is it like the sound differences between actives and passives in guitars? or am i way off....? sorry i'm a COMPLETE n00b when it comes to bass
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3 Delay
active is more modern, passive is more old school yes.

actives aren't near as limited I think.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

will i be able to dial in a decent old school sound with actives?
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3 Delay
yes. it wont be perfect, but you will be able to get a good thump.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Just so you know, with basses go this price range it's much more common for a bass to have passive pickups and an onboard preamp, rather than true active pickups. The overall effect on tone is roughly the same though.
Nope, no sig here.
I'd avoid Traben. They might discontinue the series on you(They stopped producing the Obsession series a few months after I placed an order for mine(which means I never received it )).

Ideally, you should play both before you buy them to see which feels more comfortable. They're both fine basse,s considering the tonal possibilities and the price.
Hi.