So, my long search is over and after a few days, my new amp arrived. Here are some obligatory unwrapping photos:

So, why is there any sadness?

Poweramp tube DOA and it's apparently a bitch to get them locally

So...anyone know good ones to replace them with, since I'm new to this valve game?
Last edited by lyonk55 at Sep 9, 2009,
order from tubedepot.com

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

nice man
enjoy
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Nice amp.

Sorry to hear about DOA tubes.

What kind of power tubes are in there? Are you sure they are seated all the way down? If I were to ship an amp I personally would take all the tubes out and have buyer put them back in. Make sure they are seated in good. Power on. Wait 1 minute. Standby on (or off depending on how you look at it). Does the amp power on at all?

tubedepot is a good choice but you will pay a surcharge to have them shipped to Scotland.

What about Thomann as a resource? Again, I don't know what tubes you have but this might be start.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/groove_tubes_6l6_vacuum_tubes.html
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Nice amp.

Sorry to hear about DOA tubes.

What kind of power tubes are in there? Are you sure they are seated all the way down? If I were to ship an amp I personally would take all the tubes out and have buyer put them back in. Make sure they are seated in good. Power on. Wait 1 minute. Standby on (or off depending on how you look at it). Does the amp power on at all?

tubedepot is a good choice but you will pay a surcharge to have them shipped to Scotland.

What about Thomann as a resource? Again, I don't know what tubes you have but this might be start.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/groove_tubes_6l6_vacuum_tubes.html

I gave them a good push and tried starting it up again and got the same - one glowing, one not

Thomann looks like an option and I might be able to get a local shop do do an order, but don't know how much that would cost.

Looking at Thomann has puzzled me though - ENGL says to use 5881s and I can get ENGL ones from Thomann...but looking in the 6L6 section, I came across Mesa 6L6-5881s and also ENGL 6L6 GCs (which were cheaper than the 5881s)...so what's the difference?

And it cost me £500, free postage.
Quote by forsaknazrael
5881's are 6L6's.

I'd shy away from the Mesa and ENGL tubes. If you can, Svetlana 6L6GC's should sound good there.

Would it need to be rebiased to do that or can you just do a straight swap? Like I said, I'm a tube newb.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should rebias for pretty much any power tube change.

Ah right, thanks for the advice
Send amp back?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah send it back under warranty?
Nice amp though dude. Once it (or it's replacement, depending on what you're going to do) is working you're gonna love it
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
DOA is never a good thing. I just hope its just the tube(s) that aren't working. I'd have the amp checked out by a tech if it was used, or send it back if its new.

If you want to take your chances with new tubes I suggest JJ power tubes. They're a little dark which helps tame the ENGL brightness. Do make sure you bias the amp though.
Thanks people, unfortunately this was a 2nd hand amp, so I can't replace under warranty otherwise everything would be set. Thinking getting a once over by someone who knows what they're on about might be a good idea - that way if it is something more than a tube, it can go straight back to the guy I bought it on. Hopefully won't be the case: I really want to get playing about with this thing!
Looks Sweet..........Good luck
Hnad?
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Quote by mmjohn
Looks Sweet..........Good luck

Thanks

^Hopefully there will be a HNAD take 2
Sweet amp, sorry bout the tubes. HNAD anyway!
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Good news! Replaced the offending power tubes and had the amp looked at and everything looks good. On getting it home, all sounds good too. Now to have some fun

It may not be a new amp day, but at least it is a happy amp day!
Nice bro. So glad to hear you got everything in working order. Otherwise that **** would suck.

HNAD. Enjoy that and crank it.