Right, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this. Me band decided to cover Rock You Like A Hurricane. Trouble is, my guitar has 21 frets. Song needs 22. What do I do?
“Baaaaabe,baaaaabe,baaaabe....”
~ Robert plant on being asked what his favorite food was

~ Robert Plant at his Grammy acceptance speech

~ Robert Plant all the time
Bend to get the note on the 22nd fret
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia

This ^ You'd need to bend a half step up.
Quote by pigeonmafia

Have you actually heard the song? He bends the 22nd fret pretty high and fast. Can't do it from the 21st.

-sigh- go listen to the song.

if you cant bend the note, you cant play it on a 21 fret guitar without a picth shifter pedal/whammy pedal
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
unless you can bend a full step and a half/two steps you'll need to transpose it or get a new guitar

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
End your life right now.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
Quote by MetalUpYourRear
Borrow someone's guitar. that's all you can do, unless you can bend like Steve Vai...

Which I quite obviously can't. I'm 15 XD any other good classic rock songs you can jam on? Stuff like Sweet Home Alabama, Black Napkins (Zappa ), so on.

Play the song in Eb, tune the low E string a half step down to play the muted E notes in between (as Eb's).

Power chord will be play in tritone shapes on the E and A string.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
or try playing the 10th fret bend instead? obviously if the song needs it, i can't remember the solo in it, you can't do that
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
theres just no satisfying this guy.

what do you want us to tell you TS???
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.
Learn to overbend... Its truly satisfying... And you can pull yr face like quasimodo and have a good reason for doing so

15 is no excuse... nike, just do it

****One tiny little edit... If you are implying that you can play black napkins... then your technique should be pretty good so why are you wasting your time here? Or am I thinking pink napkins? Maybe it was pink napkins with the 32nds... regardless, take your smug ass back to the woodshed and learn to overbend... don't sigh when people suggest something... JUST F'ING DO IT OR QUIT BITCHING**** end of message.... to record another..

****second edit: transpose the song a step down, use drop D. If your vocalist could truly hit the range of Klaus Meine, he wouldn't be with ya... tell em all to suck it up and just play... or.... LEARN HOW TO DO OVERBENDS!!!!****
Last edited by evolucian at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by Quintex
Tune the string up a half step?

lol, he's moaning about the "impossibility" of a 22nd fret on a 21 fret guitar... do you think he's gonna like the added tension with tuning higher and rigorous bending?
Change up the solo a bit? Harmonics?

Improvise?

You're 15 and from what I've seen you're coming across pretty stubborn. Take these people's ideas kid and mature up for a bit. I don't know what to tell you if you're going to be an ignorant teenager about it though.
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
There will be zero tolerance
Fate is your deciding God
Re-write the solo a bit. Improvise. Dont play exactly what the scorpions play, thats a little lame anyway, make th eong you rown.
I would just try to find whatever note is on the 22 fret and play it on another fret close like if it's an A on the 22 fret for ex find an A near their by 12 to 21. Just giving you a suggestion.
Quote by DragTheWaters11
Change up the solo a bit? Harmonics?

Improvise?

You're 15 and from what I've seen you're coming across pretty stubborn. Take these people's ideas kid and mature up for a bit. I don't know what to tell you if you're going to be an ignorant teenager about it though.

Absolutely. Sorry if I sounded like an ass, I didn't mean to. I'll try, though. Improvising, zat is.

try using a slide or a ring on your playing hands pinky finger to "fret" where the 22nd or bent note would be.
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
yea uh... just improvise the damn solo, or just improvise that part. I'd improvise the whole thing anyways, but that's just because I'm too lazy to actually learn a whole solo (unless it's something that has to be played the same or it wouldn't sound right, like them bones)
Use a ring/thimble.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by guitar*guy
Right, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this. Me band decided to cover Rock You Like A Hurricane. Trouble is, my guitar has 21 frets. Song needs 22. What do I do?

Expensive option...... Get a new guitar

realistic option...... decide not to cover this song

compromise...... don't play that particular lick exactly like the original. You'll have to work this out. If you can't..... refer to realistic option.
shred is gaudy music
You could use an artificial harmonic to hit the same pitch. He's bending from fret 22 to 24 right? So you'll need to fret the 12th fret and then slap at the halfway harmonic node, at the virtual 24th fret. Or similarly, you could hover your index finger over this node and then pluck it (requires thumbnail) - for that particular note you won't need to fret anything cause it's the same note as the open string. You'll lose the bend sound but hey, at least you're getting the pitch right. Sounds/looks pretty nifty too.

Also if I recall correctly, you can achieve this note by fretting the 5 fret and picking behind your fretting hand.
Quote by Beserker
Also if I recall correctly, you can achieve this note by fretting the 5 fret and picking behind your fretting hand.

That wouldn't work, as there would be no pickup there, although the pitch would be correct (fretting the sixth fret, since then it would be as if fretting the fifth fret, when picking the wrong side of the string).

Another thing to do, is bend the note up a hole, step, and then put your picking hand behind your fretting hand, and bend the string (at 12th fret or so) to make the bend go even higher.
Quote by GuitarMunky
Expensive option...... Get a new guitar

realistic option...... decide not to cover this song

compromise...... don't play that particular lick exactly like the original. You'll have to work this out. If you can't..... refer to realistic option.

Yus...I'll stick to compromise. Expensive option is sehr expensive for me. Isn't there any way I can...I dunno...add more frets or something? To the neck?

Quote by isaac_bandits
That wouldn't work, as there would be no pickup there, although the pitch would be correct (fretting the sixth fret, since then it would be as if fretting the fifth fret, when picking the wrong side of the string).

Haha silly me, I'm too used to playing (and thinking I guess) acoustically.

TS, instead of compromising, why don't you do what me or Isaac suggested?
Quote by Beserker
Haha silly me, I'm too used to playing (and thinking I guess) acoustically.

TS, instead of compromising, why don't you do what me or Isaac suggested?

Your harmonics idea worked! Genius! Thanks a ton Now any good song ideas? Also, Classical Gas. Is it a good idea to play it while the rest of the band are tuning up?

edit the solo to avoid that bit, make it playable and make it your own at the same time - that's truly satisfying
I don't know...I'm stubborn in a different way - I'd be sitting there every day learning to do 1 1/2 step bends at the 21st fret. It will be a pretty useful skill to have (1 step bend at 22 is really common) to get you by until you can get a guitar with 22 (or preferably 24) frets.
fret a note on the neck pickup for a real screamer.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
When my band covered songs, you make your own solo to the song, at least thats how we did it. If you have another guitarist, just play it in harmonies so it sounds beast, and do it in a different posistion. Like one in 5th and one in X
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
well personally id just make up my own solo. never been one to learn someone elses solos. but you could either over bend which has been stated and its something i do if needed. sometimes ill do 2 and a half step bends if needed. you could also fret it an octave lower but use harmonics to make it sound an octave higher.

i have one guitar with 21 frets and i refuse to get any new guitars that have less than 22. to me it just doesnt make sense. the one that has 21 i normally use for slide so the frets do really matter.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
well personally id just make up my own solo. never been one to learn someone elses solos.

I would, but the thing is my solos always wind up as scales played really fast with squealies and...er...tapping no imagination. Why?...

^then probably the best thing you can do is learn to play solos true to the original. That's where you get your ideas for making up your own sh*t. Every time I learn a new solo (of another band), I'll notice there'll be a bit of a new twist to my improvising afterwards.

A good thing to do as an in between step is to play the solo mostly as it is, but improvise a few bits of it. Sometimes it's hard to come up with something when you have a blank canvas, but easier when you've got something to start with that you've got to get your improvised bits to fit with.