Hey

I'm getting a bit of inheritance through in a couple of weeks soon, and I'm going to get a Gibson SG with it, because it's my dream guitar, I've always wanted one and it will be something to remember my Grandpa by. RIP.

However, I'm not sure which model to get? I'm feeling the standard, but I've heard the '61 Reissues are better.

I have at most £1300, and yes, I'm definately getting a Gibson SG, and no, I'm not getting a new amp. :P
*reported*
Quote by gudinge
Wasn't there a thread about this like yesterday?
Quote by ivan_2894
This guy knows what he's talking about
(Ab)using:
* Ibanez PF5 acoustic * Gibson '08 LP Classic * Schecter Damien FR *
* Marshall JCM 2k DSL401 *
* Boss OS-2 * Boss DD-7 *

Eyes on Wah & SD pups
Not sure why this is getting reported, sounds like an average "Which SG?" thread :-/

Anyway, I'm not the most clued up on SGs, but I know that it's hard to go wrong by going for just a straight up STandard SG.
Reported for stupid reporting

Anyways, just get the standard SG. Are you near anywhere where you can try them out??
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
THE ZOOT SUIT!

I think you'd be better off with a '61 reissue. A friend of mine got his hands on a standard for £700. That's a dream to play with a nice meaty thick tone. Try and get yourself a go on both a standard and '61 before. Different guitars suit different people, they're both very good. It's down whichever feels most comfortable.

Quote by tickler444
*reported*

Way to be a tool. *R* for for spam reporting.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Last edited by Vauxite at Sep 9, 2009,
'61 re-issue eats anything else. I know, I had an original and if the re-issue is half as good, you'll treasure it just like you want to.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Nowhere near sells them, for some reason I don't know. You say the '61 Reissue is better? I mean, it's more expensive so it should be better, plus I like the smaller pickguard.
61 Reissue + 500T in the bridge, if you play more modern sounding stuff. Stock 61RI if you play more vintage voiced stuff.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
61 Reissue + 500T in the bridge, if you play more modern sounding stuff. Stock 61RI if you play more vintage voiced stuff.

So, just generally not the standard?
Quote by nospacesallowed
Nowhere near sells them, for some reason I don't know. You say the '61 Reissue is better? I mean, it's more expensive so it should be better, plus I like the smaller pickguard.

Yes, the '61 is better. But the Standard isn't exactly bad.. at all.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by nospacesallowed
WTF why?

you needn't worry about it if someone reports you for no reason - the mods take the appropriate action when they get a report anyway, and if you haven't broken any rules (i see no rule breaking in this thread unless i've missed something) there's not really any appropriate action to be taken so they'd just leave it, most likely (or warn the user who posted the pointless report if it's REALLY dumb).

As for what SG you should get - When buying a gibson you need to take several things into account:

Firstly: each individual guitar is very very different. Whether it's a different model or the same model, it'll seem very different no matter what. really you have to search around and play lots of them and find one that feels right in your hands, and sounds right to your ears. It may not be the model you expect - i mean, i was told les paul studios suck by the majority of UG, but ended up picking one over very very many les paul standards, not because it was cheaper, but because i liked it better, which i did not expect. I couldn't turn that one down. I was initially looking for a les paul standard, too
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Elitist Epiphone.

If you can find one..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by nospacesallowed
So, just generally not the standard?

There's nothing wrong with the Standards at all. I'd just prefer the slimmer neck of the 61RI.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
THERE'S A GOD IT'S TRUE

There's a dealer in West Molesey, near me. I'll pop in there tomorrow.