Well, not great questions but still.

1. Artists that would be inspiring, i am a blues and rock lover so i like some of those emotional, random stuff. Who would be good to listen to? I listen to herbie hancock, dave brubeck and miles davis already.

2. there is jazz chords that i am well aware of but i can't find them. can someone tell me these chords? prefairably barre chords if possible, both the E and A shapes.

3: I know some jazz players, not famous, but some who like jazz. They often pluck some notes then the bass. can anyone give me some information or tips about this?
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Herbie Hancock, Keith Jarret, Chick Corea, Bill Evans Stanley Clarke, Tony Williams etc.

The three most common seventh chords, dominant 7, major 7 and minor 7 in their common E and A shapes:

C7    CM7    Cm7   C7    CM7   Cm7
|---8------8------8-----3-----3-----3--------|
|---8------8------8-----5-----5-----4--------|
|---9------9------8-----3-----4-----3--------|
|---8------9------8-----5-----5-----5--------|
|--10-----10-----10-----3-----3-----3--------|
|---8------8------8--------------------------|

Of course there are many seventh chords and chords such as ninth, eleventh and thirtenth chords, and altered variations. I suggest you learn how to construct chords if you haven't already.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil album and Charles Mingus' Mingus Ah Um album were the two that really got me into jazz.

As far as guitars, maybe Martino, Metheny, or Larry Carlton to slowly get you into it
Joe Henderson is a phenomenal sax player who doesnt always get the recognition he deserves. Listen to him.
The most accessible jazz album, IMHO, is "Volunteered slavery" by Roland Kirk.. It's really bluesy, funky, wacky stuff.. Mingus is also amazing, but significantly less easy on the ears "First time around"..
Quote by brownsfan456
Anything is possible with music which is sooo awesome

Quote by metal4all

I just learn the formula, apply it to a key, and use said notes on fretboard. Why? Cuz I'm not a pussy.
return of the Brecker brothers... give it a quick shag... on a soft rug... you'll even remember its name in the morning
In terms of familiarizing yourself with how to play jazz, here are some songs I'd suggest you listen to and improvise over the changes:

Blue Monk - Thelonious Monk (Bb Blues)
Mr. PC - John Coltrane (Cm Blues)
Saint James Infirmary - Louis Armstrong (I'm not sure who wrote this but Louis does a great rendition)
Song for my Father - Horace Silver
Blue Bossa - Dexter Gordon
Footprints - Wayne Shorter
St. Thomas - Sonny Rollins
Autumn Leaves - Joseph Kosma/Johnny Mercer (I think)

That's a decent range of beginner jazz, from blues, to minor blues, to Latin, to Calypso, etc. Some of those songs are more difficult to hit the changes than others, but it's all good listening. Hope that helps a bit.

-Ben

EDIT: v **** I actually knew that one too! Thank you.
Ben
Last edited by muffinman123192 at Sep 12, 2009,
i dont know about jazz but some cool blues i would say this

check out...

Mance Lipscomb
and definitely check out...Peetie Wheatstraw!!! HE IS THE HIGH SHERIFF FROM HELL WOOO WOO YOU NEVER COULD TELL!
id say coltrane, brecker brothers, bill evans, miles, charlie parker are good to start with.
guitar wise pat martino, wes montgomery, jore pass and grant green are my favorites. Django reinhardt and charlie christian are also fantastic but a bit antiquated sounding (still great though, and there lines work well in a bop, post bop or even modern idiom). Pat metheney and kurt rosenwinkle are also great players but IMO not great to try to emulate early on due to their sophistication and how modern they are--pat martino also sort of falls into this category (there lines generally dont transfer especially well to non modern jazz and they do not swing particulalry hard). The list of tunes given above are great, id add
so what
all blues
blue in green (all miles davis, and the solos are quite transcribable)
My little suede shoes, nows the time/blues for alice/au privave-Charlie Parker
Id also say buy a copy of the charlie parker omnibook if you have decent technique, youll learn a lot memorizing the solos.
Last edited by tehREALcaptain at Sep 10, 2009,