So upon entering my band's jamspace last night I go to turn on my amp (a glorious, beautiful, and expensive ENGL Powerball) only to notice that it's wet. Really wet. Apparently the the drain pipe running from the bathroom upstairs down to the basement had been leaking all over my precious for over a day. ****! What makes matters worse is that it is WASTE WATER from the toilet. GROSS! So beyond just having a tube amp completely drenched, it's also now covered is pissy and ****ty water. Wonderful...

Needless to say jam was cancelled as there was no way in hell I was turning that amp on. We opened up the back and toweled off the lake on top and inside the amp. The only thing that was really exposed was the tubes as the rest of the innards are "sealed" away inside. However, I'm not entirely confident that NO water got on the inside, and there is no real way to get in to check without ripping the whole thing apart.

Obviously I am going to take out the tubes and clean the disgusting son of a bitch, but I'm more worried about functionality. I would assume (and hope) since the amp was off that no permanent damage has been caused, but I'm uneasy about turning it on to find out. We put some floodlights on it for the night to help dry it out, but I'm unsure of how long I should wait to insure it's completely dry before I flick the switch. My bassist is bringing his spare TSL tomorrow so at least I'll have an amp to use, so I am in no rush. My ENGL is my baby. I don't wanna take any unecessary risk by rushing the "recuperation" process.

Any suggestions/recommendations/similar horror stories?
Last edited by Erkekjetter at Sep 9, 2009,
****ty....
Gear:
1) Fender: MIM Strat- Cream with maple neck + graphite nut + locking tuners + Vintage Noiseless PUs
2) Blackstar: HT-5
3) Rocktron: Banshee
4) Yamaha: FGX730SC electric acoustic
5) Fender: MIM Strat -Lake Placid Blue w/rosewood neck
i actually took a crap on my amp....it is only an MG so it deserved it lol
Quote by fearofthemark
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

We are the dynamite!!

My Gear:

Hamer XT Series (SATF)
Jackson JS30 Dinky
Vintage V100 Les Paul (w/ Seymour Dunc JB in Bridge pos.)

Korg ToneWorks AX1500G
Marshall MG100HDFX
wait a week jst to be sure
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
sorry

I'd take as much of it apart as you can (safely) and pull the chassis out and put as many fans as you can find on it. Urine has acid in it that will eat metal and components for breakfast.

If you have the money - I'd take it in and get it professionally overhauled.

Edit: fly
Quote by fly135
You should be able to nail that Brown sound now.

diamond lul-stack foar u!
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
It needs to go in for a professional cleaning. If any urine got into the PCB it could crystallize there; those crystals are conductive, which could absolutely and irreparably destroy the amp. It's not a likely scenario, given that it was watered down and all, but someone who knows what they're doing should probably go through it and safely wipe down everything that got wet.
Quote by Roc8995
It needs to go in for a professional cleaning. If any urine got into the PCB it could crystallize there; those crystals are conductive, which could absolutely and irreparably destroy the amp. It's not a likely scenario, given that it was watered down and all, but someone who knows what they're doing should probably go through it and safely wipe down everything that got wet.

Yup. ^This.

OP - Buy some de-oxit (radio shack electronics cleaner). You can spray this stuff over the PCB boards to clean it up real good. It dries fast and is safe on any part of the amp but the tolex and tubes. Go get some, it will be a life saver for you. You'll see what I mean when you start using it.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
OP - Buy some de-oxit (radio shack electronics cleaner). You can spray this stuff over the PCB boards to clean it up real good. It dries fast and is safe on any part of the amp but the tolex and tubes. Go get some, it will be a life saver for you. You'll see what I mean when you start using it.

Thanks for the tip! Assuming it doesn't prove to difficult to get inside the amp I'll definitely pick some up and give her a good scrub down. Although, depending on the cost I may just opt to get it professionally cleaned instead as has been suggested. It would likely be less hassle and most likely safer.
Quote by fly135
You should be able to nail that Brown sound now.

lmaonade

Try running a fan into the back for a couple days, and maybe remove the faceplate if you can, to let air flow through.

A few days and anything that was there will be gone...However, urine is full of minerals, and may leave a residue...

"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
If nothing else, now, when your band plays, you'll be forever be remembered as the band who's amps smell like piss.
ohhhh man thats upsetting!!

Definatly let it dry for at least a week. That would hurt so much....i feel for you!

Is the amp insured under your house insurance? I'm in the process of doing that on mine...so if anything happens as a result of the house, its usually covered.
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Well... personally... i'd handle it by probably at first sight, throwing a total rage fit and yelling at the amp and the plumbing. Then I'd probably cry and wonder how long it will take to save up to buy a new amp. While I am being a big baby my wife would probably be smart and call someone to have it checked over professionally. I would then owe her neck rubs or something.

Quote by Erkekjetter

Obviously I am going to take out the tubes and clean the disgusting son of a bitch, but

this made me lol
Fender USA Stratocaster HSS
Schecter C-1 FR Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 321mh
Fender Squier Strat
Bugera V22
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100
Line 412 cab V 30's
Doesn't the place have insurance...?

That'd be where I start
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Normally I'd say to fix things yourself but with this case I'd say you should go get it professionally cleaned. Tube amps store electricity even when they are off so if you touch the wrong thing you're dead. Seriously, Take it to a shop to get it cleaned and fixed, if necessary. Oh and where is your jamspace, In the basement or something? You'll also want to talk with whoever owns the building.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Doesn't the place have insurance...?

That'd be where I start

Yes it does. We haven't checked if it is covered (and I would imagine it most likely is), but it would also require a significant deductible to make a claim. We've already determined that it is NOT covered by the Home Warranty (even though the plumbing should be, and thus any damage it causes should be as well). Our vocalist's wife (who are the house owners) called the company who installed the plumbing to get them to come and fix it, but they wanted $98 just to come take a look at it. They want to get PAID just to take a LOOK at a job that THEY did WRONG in the first place. Horse****. So "we" are likely going to get someone else to come and fix it and if the amp winds up being is dead we will then sue the idiots for damages.

BUT...

Somewhat reassuring news. We have determined that the leak was actually not from the toilet, but rather the sink in the upstairs bathroom. So while I still plan on letting the amp dry out for a week or so it looks like I won't have to breakdown and pay to get it cleaned.
Last edited by Erkekjetter at Sep 10, 2009,
Quote by Erkekjetter

Somewhat reassuring news. We have determined that the leak was actually not from the toilet, but rather the sink in the upstairs bathroom. So while I still plan on letting the amp dry out for a week or so it looks like I won't have to breakdown and pay to get it cleaned.

Thats Excellent news! Good to hear! Nothing worse than an amp that smells like burning piss

Good luck with the drying process, hope it works out for ya
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

Roc is right. The board needs to be cleaned.

Also, i would straight up replace the tubes. Its not even worth the potential trouble of smell and failure. whatever residue that sticks on that glass will be affected by the extreme heat and probably crack the glass.
If you really wanna be safe, you could ret lying the head on its face, taking the back off, and filling it with dry rice.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Silica gel?

Get some bags of them, sdhould be cheap, and place it on the PCB?

in that case, go to your auto parts store, pick up a "receiver dryer dessicant bag", used in the air conditioning system. basically just a large amount of silica gel. pretty cheap as well
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE

Quote by thedekker
in that case, go to your auto parts store, pick up a "receiver dryer dessicant bag", used in the air conditioning system. basically just a large amount of silica gel. pretty cheap as well
Genius! I'm going to get some now, and I don't even need it!

Still a very sad thread though...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."