Hi people of ultimate guitar,

I'm new here, i hope i can get some good information about scales. I've seen many sites but nothing helps. I really apreciate your help. And i'm sorry for my bad english.

The problem is i know how to play a scale, but i wanna know how to create a riff from the scale.

I want to write riffs from this scale: C harmonic minor. But i just want to know how to create riffs with de right notes. I can do that without knowning that but i jut want to learn more about it.

I hope you guys can help me to create some killer tones. And i play things like metal/core/death metal ect.

I use this program for scales:

http://www.scalerator.com/cgi-bin/sdispatch.py?optionsDisp=inline&root=C&pattern=harmonic+minor&tuning=cgcfad&size=30

If i play note for note what i see it sounds good, but if i just want to make some riff with other note from that box? which note after which note i can use?

Thank you,
In that picture, it shows the locations of all the notes you can use in drop c tuning up to the 22nd fret. If you only want to use C harmonic minor, then those notes shown are the only notes you can use.

Don't just play the notes shown in the green box, the green box is just highlighting one position to play it in
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Sep 9, 2009,
that's easy, just look at other notes in the scale. Provided the notes are all from the same scale, anything will sound good and linked together. Then, for another bit, like a solo, go to a scale that complements the one you're on (A minor melodic, perhaps - that could pave the way for a smoother section of the song) - maybe even an octave up. Try it.

For rhythm, play chords that go well with the scales you've chosen (A, C, E, D in this case).
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
Quote by MacMan2001
that's easy, just look at other notes in the scale. Provided the notes are all from the same scale, anything will sound good and linked together. Then, for another bit, like a solo, go to a scale that complements the one you're on (A minor melodic, perhaps - that could pave the way for a smoother section of the song) - maybe even an octave up. Try it.

For rhythm, play chords that go well with the scales you've chosen (A, C, E, D in this case).

It won't always sound good, it will just sound in key.

And how does A melodic minor compliment C harmonic minor? Unless you're getting confused with relative minor, which would only work for C major (not C harmonic minor).

Even then, A minor and C major use exactly the same notes, they just resolve on different chords/notes.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Sep 9, 2009,
Well, unless your superman and can remember all the different things that are comlimentary, then use this site
http://jguitar.com/scale?root=C&scale=Harmonic+Minor&fret=0&labels=tone&notes=sharps
Once you put in the scale you want to use, it shows you the relative pattern, and then you can use it to search what chords match with it
Last edited by Crayonic at Sep 9, 2009,