When I compose a song or even just a riff, I have ALWAYS the impression that the song/riff is not new and that I may have copied it without knowing.

Is it normal? Do you have that feeling too, or it's just me?
I'm pretty sure it happens to everyone. When John Lennon wrote yesterday he thought he had heard it before so he went around asking all his friends if they had heard the song before. (I'm not sure if I got the write beatle or song but you get the idea)
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
I always get that feeling, probably because of the riffs that I come up with, the ones I like best are the ones that remind me of music I like, hence they are the most similar to music I've already heard.
I get that feeling a lot. I can pretty much tell what song inspired each riff I wrote because both the song and the riff sound a lot a like.
I don't always feel that I've copied, but I can always point out what band any of my ideas sound like. It used to worry me that I was plagarising but now I've realised that nothing is unique and anything that anyone writes will always sound like something else.
Quote by frog_friend
I'm pretty sure it happens to everyone. When John Lennon wrote yesterday he thought he had heard it before so he went around asking all his friends if they had heard the song before. (I'm not sure if I got the write beatle or song but you get the idea)

Wasn't that paul McCartney?
Quote by breakdown123
Might have been. I can't remember who it was and I'm to lazt to go and look it up.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
I get that feeling too, but ALL riffs are used before, unless some dissonant wierd riffs maybe.
But I just go on if it's not too obvious.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
I don't really get that, but maybe its because I never write anything good enough to compare to what I've already heard.
Although, there are a few songs that I hear on the radio that give me a sense of deja vu. In that I think I've known them for years, and then a friend goes and tells me it's brand new.

It can be quite unerving.
Last edited by Casuist at Sep 10, 2009,
Everyone feels that way sometimes. Best idea is just to go with it- yeah, a simple melody or rhythm may sound similar, but if you keep expanding on it it will eventually be completely your own. If you just leave it at the melody or rhythm becaues you think it's stolen, then it will stay that way.
Isolation is a gift. All the others are a test of your endurance.
Quote by breakdown123

It was McCartney. And yes that is a true story. and yes that happens to me nonstop. Gotta just learn to ignore it and if it is already a song, chances are you'll eventually hear it again and recognise it
I hate my sig
I used to feel the same way, dude. Eventually though I just kept practicing and developed my own style that was influenced by my favorite bands and stuff. You just have to keep working at it. Although one time I worked on a riff for a day or so and started making a song out of it only to find a week later that it was the guitar riff to "Call Me When You're Sober" by Evanescence
Once upon a time I wrote a riff....two months after that I discovered it was exactly like Mastodon's Blood and Thunder main riff. Into the bin.

Another time I almost had the whole song written but one riff reminded me too much of Fade to Black so I scrapped everything.
Quote by Poglia
When I compose a song or even just a riff, I have ALWAYS the impression that the song/riff is not new and that I may have copied it without knowing.

Is it normal? Do you have that feeling too, or it's just me?

I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep working at and developing your craft. It takes time. Keep listening, keep learning, keep playing, keep writing, have fun & stop worrying.
shred is gaudy music
I have that feeling all the time, but if you can't think of what it sounds like, then it is not important enough to worry about it.
I wrote a great riff once and about a month later I was listening to Thrice and realized my riff was almost exactly like one of their tunes. Same key too. Wow. I hadn't even heard the song before. Now I'm skeptical about everything.