Hello UGers in Uni, preferably in the UK.

Question:
Does your university have a facility with power tools (drills, saws etc.) for engineering projects and such? Are the students granted access to these facilities, or only under certain conditions?

Reasoning:
I know this is a very specific question and I probably won't get many replies, but I can't find info on it anywhere. I've tried registering on The Student Room, but they won't let me post until I recieve some sort of e-mail, which I haven't got.
I visited a university once which had a room with tools n' stuff, but I don't know if other unis have this.

Thanks in advance to any serious replies
yes my university does, it also has a huge laser cutter machine that uses lasers to cuz shapes out of materials and a 3D printer (it prints 3D objects o.O!!!)

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Yes, many of them, but you usually need to have a specific project and permission, OR be a member of the major that has control over that workshop.

Edit: This is a US uni, but I'd imagine any uni would do something similar, for budget, resource, and safety reasons.
Last edited by -Collapse- at Sep 9, 2009,
my uni has machines and gadgets that would blow your mind.

I'm not kidding, I for some reason think you're thinking about building a guitar, and uni's like mind have machines that could render you infertile for the rest of your life, so.....

yea.
Quote by SPBY
yes my university does, it also has a huge laser cutter machine that uses lasers to cuz shapes out of materials and a 3D printer (it prints 3D objects o.O!!!)

3D printers blow my mind!!! i just want to put in "fender strat" and press print lol i know it would be a crap guitar but still theyre just wow
Quote by CoreysMonster
my uni has machines and gadgets that would blow your mind.

I'm not kidding, I for some reason think you're thinking about building a guitar, and uni's like mind have machines that could render you infertile for the rest of your life, so.....

yea.

Yeah, the uni I'll be attending has those kinds of machines, too.

But I'm looking for regular power tools, indeed for guitar building. I guess you could render yourself infertile with a drill press.
If they don't, I'll rent the tools or somethin', but if I can have access to them without tapping into my college budget, that would be pretty sweet, although unlikely.

EDIT: plz don't reveal my secret plan, because if they knew that I wanted to build a guitar, they'd NEVER let me use their tools.
Last edited by sashki at Sep 9, 2009,
my university has more than one, in fact my spec. class even has one workshoproom itself. We can go there and build anytime we want almost whatever we want.
Well, it may be too bad for you, but I am from Hungary, so I don't know if it helps you or not. But I believe that if we have stuff like this, then you should too
Nationalism: Hungarian cock into Hungarian asses!Chauvinism: Hungarian cock into every ass!
Globalism: Every cock into Hungarian asses!

Rock On!
Mine has one in the virtual reality lab station in module 37A. It's clear on the other side of the spaceship from my dorm though.
Yeah, my Uni has about half a building dedicated to engineering workshops. But im not an engineering student so i can't give any more details.
Many universities have such facilities. However, these places are not usually open to unsupervised student use until in upper year programs. Understandable as, with my knowledge of power tools, I would easily nail myself to... myself with a nailgun.
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
O CANADA!
I have no idea about my current uni. I'm an English major. I'm pretty sure my old/future one does though (OU-Norman).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Will someone not notice you're building a guitar? Surely you can't just walk in and use power tools if you aren't doing some sorta engineering course.
Quote by tattyreagh
Will someone not notice you're building a guitar? Surely you can't just walk in and use power tools if you aren't doing some sorta engineering course.

I'll ask for special permissions. Maybe.
Quote by timeconsumer09
Mine has one in the virtual reality lab station in module 37A. It's clear on the other side of the spaceship from my dorm though.

what? lol
Almost any decent sized uni will ofcourse have those sorts of thing but they'd mostly be off limits to non engineering (or whatever degrees use them) students i would have thought. You'd almost certainly have to ask for special permissions and even then you might not be allowed... i dont know really depends on the uni.
I'm actually an engineering student, and we have several workshops at my uni, but time in there is generally only for certain students, as the technicians have to help with project work, disserations and phd work, as well as basic workshop lessons for the lower years, so I think you might be hard pressed to get time in there, its always worth asking though, hope that helps.
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah