I recently joined a band as a keys player. I'm more of a guitar player, but know some cool keys parts/can improvise decently, so i figured i should be fine, right?

Wrong. We have a few songs done, and all of my parts are basically in the same vein.

Intro-do nothing or play a piano intro
verse-strings/choir setting to fill out sound, nothing to complex because i do vocals as well.
Chorus-a lead of some sort, usually trancey synth stuff.

and its getting REALLY old, but i can't think of any other interesting things to do.

Any suggestions?

I use an alesis micron, and one of those little starter pianos with a crap load of sounds (not the best i know, but it works for the time being) if that helps.
Keyboard solos sound good

See if you can learn to play complex keyboard sections while singing, then you can follow/harmonise with lead guitar pieces and solo sections, or play lead all by yourself on keyboard
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
if they dont let you solo right out, throw in little fills in the part your playing. if youre coming up with originals, suggest an elaborate intro, or solo.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
most of the material was written before i joined the band, so its difficult for me to change anything around to accommodate my need to show off. Ill work on throwing in some fills, and some solos and stuff.
Emarosa, i set my friends on fire, children of bodom, attack attack, the devil wears prada. And its like progressive screamo. Its like the spacier moments of circa survive, mixed with saosin, and the devil wears prada style heaviness.

inb4 crabcore.
Quote by breakdown123
Emarosa, i set my friends on fire, children of bodom, attack attack, the devil wears prada. And its like progressive screamo. Its like the spacier moments of circa survive, mixed with saosin, and the devil wears prada style heaviness.

inb4 crabcore.

That's your problem then, you're not listening to enough bands that use keys/symphonics/piano.
Although they might not be exactly in your realm, listen to bands like Dream Theater, Nightwish, Versailles, later X Japan, Within Temptation, the last 2 Opeth records, Cradle Of Filth, later In Flames, D'espairsRay and Phantasmagoria.
I know none of these are screamo, but just listen to how they use the keyboard/orchestra parts in their songs and how they add to them, I'm sure you'll be inspired
Last edited by SilentHeaven109 at Sep 10, 2009,
Well Jordan Rudess is pretty much the god of keyboards so it would be hard to imitate his playing, however i found there is alot of harmonising of lead guitar lines and they have alot of dedicated sections of just the piano / synth playing along together.
Check out the middle part of ''TAKE THE TIME'' and the latest album ''Black Clouds and Silver Linings'' There are tonnes of fantastic keyboard work on there.

That's all i can think of off the top of my head at the moment !
Quote by breakdown123
i enjoy opeth and dream theater. Any suggestions where i should start with those two bands?

There are probably a lot more people here who know more about Dream Theater than me, I'm only really a casual fan.

However, I love Opeth, so can help you there. As I said, Ghost Reveries and Watershed are great for keyboards, as they bought in a fantastic full time keyboard player, Per Wiberg, who also plays on the DVD's and adds his touch to older songs.
Here are a few examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26qUFv_GMmM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSSLXMzxxP8 (the interlude at 2:05 is epic, shows how little parts can do so much...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UQCqvkWdAs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAmYJyOStos