Ok, Ive never had a strat before and I usually use EMG 81/60 in Les Paul type guitars so its a far cry from what i'm used to.

The Strat I just got is USA model with stock pickups but they're weak as hell and way to noisy.

I need a set thats-

Low noise,
Mid-high output,
Strat sounding!

Any ideas?
Dimarzio Area models are very low noise and Stratty.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
if you want vintage sounds, check out Lollar Vintage Blondes. there's not a better postmarket pickup on the market in my opinion.
i really like texas specials.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Fender lace are good but not high output. Gilmore uses EMG SA's in his red strat for most live stuff. I put an SA in the neck of my Jackson and I really like it, it does really great cleans and sounds quite close to strat tone, hey if its good enough for Gilmore, he's pretty picky about his strat tone, the main reason he uses them is to reduce noise with the wireless.
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 10, 2009,
BareKnuckle Apaches are more of the 50s stratty tone with the things you mentioned.

Bareknuckle Irish Tours are abit like hott rodded Strat pups and aare lovely for what your mentioning but you have to tweak your abit quite abit to get it just right.

if not try the classic noiseless pups i think their called by fender they have a really nice full tone
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Look at a Bareknuckle Sinner in the bridge. Any BK pups you get, you won't be disappointed.
In the Valley of Vung
If you like EMG's I've heard that their SA's are really nice. I'm building a strat into a shredder, and I'm going to install an EMG 81/SA/SA combo. I'm only recommending this because you said you were used to EMG's, because to most Fender purists installing EMG's is borderline blasphemous.
IMO the best Strat pickups out there are Fralin Blues Specials, although probably not really what you want in a pickup set.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by aaronni
Rock Monkey pickups
email through the site or PM CorduroyEW he's a UGer too! Just put a set in my strat, haven't got to play them yet though.

This, I had gone to Corduroy about pickups at one point but didn't buy them. So I can't give you a review on sound, but I've heard they're phenomenal, he also knows his pickups. If you tell him what sounds you want from your strat, he'll point you to which of his pickups best suit your needs, if his pickups doesn't cover your needs, I'm sure he'll lead you to the right ones.

Also, there's a 10% discount for UGers apparently.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
This, I had gone to Corduroy about pickups at one point but didn't buy them. So I can't give you a review on sound, but I've heard they're phenomenal, he also knows his pickups. If you tell him what sounds you want from your strat, he'll point you to which of his pickups best suit your needs, if his pickups doesn't cover your needs, I'm sure he'll lead you to the right ones.

Also, there's a 10% discount for UGers apparently.

Yep they're certainly top of the line pickups, and they aren't too much more than typical pickup brands in the UK. If you tell him what sounds you want he'll definitely help you out, really helpful to me. Forgot about the 10% discount, I got mine in a trade with him. I have to wait til tomorrow to play mine, no strings at the moment
Quote by yellowv
IMO the best Strat pickups out there are Fralin Blues Specials, although probably not really what you want in a pickup set.

This coming from a guy that has the BareKnuckle logo as an avatar. So they must be good.
In the Valley of Vung
for around $160-175 you can get bg pickups. good deal if you are in the US, sound fantastic. handwound and not overly expensive.

however you look to be in the UK now that i look. ill leave the BG pickups suggestion out there anyway, but now my go to place would be either rockmonkey or bareknuckles. i know Cord really knows his stuff (RM) and i think he is a bit cheaper. if you cant find something there that you like, BK pickups also have fantastic pickups that would suit you. i was looking at them for a long time before i got my pickups, and i think either the Irish Tours or Mother's Milk sets would work for you. the ITs are hotter, so that might be what you want if you think what you have now is really weak.
Quote by Mr. Parker
This coming from a guy that has the BareKnuckle logo as an avatar. So they must be good.

Exactly. I LOVE BKP's, but for single coils Lindy Fralin can't be beat IMO.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Also on a budget look to Bill Lawrence. His Keystone set for the Strat is amazing and only costs $75. Pretty amazing for USA made pickups.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
OUT OF THE ONES I'VE TRIED, the EMG SAs are the best single coils I've ever touched. Great cleans, great dirty, great stratty, etc.

I can't vouch/compare with BKP, Rockmonkey, etc. But I've tried DiMarzio Area 58, and a lot of other ones, and the SA was by far the best.
I personally like the following combo on a strat.

Seymour Duncan STK-1, bridge.
DiMarzio HS-1, middle.
Dimarzio HS-3, neck.

Personal preference. Can't go wrong with Bareknuckle though.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Quote by yellowv
IMO the best Strat pickups out there are Fralin Blues Specials

+1000

After putting these in my American Deluxe I can't put it down. Highly, HIGHLY recommend Fralins. They are, however, true single coils, so an unshielded instrument will definitely hum.
the two strats i use for backups either Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan Pups

First Backup
DiMarzio Super Distortion S Bridge
DiMarzio Chopper Middle/Neck

Second Backup
Seymour Duncan AS-1 Blackouts in all positions

Out of the two i prefer the SD blackouts.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Dimarzio hs-3 or YJM ....or dimarzio area 58s and 61s....the 69 custom shop abagail yabarra pickups are awesone but their not noiseless....the fender noiseless pickups are noiseless but still have the same stock strat sound...that you have noted as being to "weak"...

Texas specials are alittle hotter than stocks and the 69 strats but aren't noiseless either....

I agree with emgs in a strat to be blasphemious....that would be totally dreadful...
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
JS, I'd go with RockMonkies.
Cord/Chris knows what he's doing...and to be honest, of the whole forum I think he knows more about pickups than anyone else.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by yellowv
Exactly. I LOVE BKP's, but for single coils Lindy Fralin can't be beat IMO.

+1

I love my Fralin Vintage Hot pickups. They are really quiet too, and my guitar isn't even shielded. They're very versatile pickups too. Might not be what you want though, I'd take a look into the EMG SA's if you're looking for something quieter.
dont put any emg, or rails, or mini humbuckers. a strat should sound like a strat. fender hot noiseless are the best all around hot strat pickups. noiseless and versatile. fralin vintage hots are very stratty. I have tried them. 1990 - 1996 american standards is what I got now. they sound good but I need to plug into a booster or overdrive. your results will vary depending on the amp. right now the american deluxe has a texas special bridge and a custom shop 69 in the neck and middle. cant argue with the fender gods who have handed us such a masterpiece.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by fullsailstudent
dont put any emg, or rails, or mini humbuckers. a strat should sound like a strat. fender hot noiseless are the best all around hot strat pickups. noiseless and versatile. fralin vintage hots are very stratty. I have tried them. 1990 - 1996 american standards is what I got now. they sound good but I need to plug into a booster or overdrive. your results will vary depending on the amp. right now the american deluxe has a texas special bridge and a custom shop 69 in the neck and middle. cant argue with the fender gods who have handed us such a masterpiece.

I totaly agree that the strat should sound like a strat how ever the the technology advanced since 50s and I'm sure that there are Strat sounding pickups out there that are quiet

I wouldn't put any huming pickup in my strat these days

here is an interesting review of some noiseless pickups that sound straty
http://www.kinman.com/multimedia/sosUnedited/Kinman&DimarzioPickups.htm