Is this actually worth doing? I play keyboards pretty OKish and I've now got opportunity to get access to a piano instead of the keyboards and I'm wondering whether it's actually worth it?

Is it worth playing piano instead of keys? Is there anything that can't be done on keys that can be done on piano?

Anyone?
wat

Yeah no they're two completely different things.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
The black and white keys are reversed on a piano. Good luck and godspeed.
Quote by Dirge Humani
You could Google it.

...wait.

I want actual people to answer and give me some personal experience if necessary. Google cannot do that.
What?

'Is there anything that can't be done on keys that can be done on piano?'

Sound like a real piano.

Piano keys are weighted, your keyboard's keys may not be.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I want actual people to answer and give me some personal experience if necessary. Google cannot do that.

Well to be fair google could well direct you to a dicussion board that is for that subject (I dont know if it will as i haven't googled it). There could be personal experience in such a board
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
it's pretty much similar except for the feel of it. it'd be harder playing on a real piano and you have pedals (such as the sustain pedal) which you need to get used to using.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Quote by meh!
What?

'Is there anything that can't be done on keys that can be done on piano?'

Sound like a real piano.

Piano keys are weighted, your keyboard's keys may not be.

You'd be suprised at how good a high-end keyboard sounds, especially in replication of piano sounds.

Also, my keyboard is a Triton, it's weighted.
not unless you count superior acoustic sound of pianos over keyboards.

pianos have weighted keys and require more force, so if you've only played keyboards, your piano playing will be low and soft.
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Lol you remind me of my sister; always switching fads/hobbies like every other week.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
not unless you count superior acoustic sound of pianos over keyboards.

Read my last post....

pianos have weighted keys and require more force, so if you've only played keyboards, your piano playing will be low and soft.

This is the reason I'm frightened of pianos....
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Is this actually worth doing? I play keyboards pretty OKish and I've now got opportunity to get access to a piano instead of the keyboards and I'm wondering whether it's actually worth it?

Is it worth playing piano instead of keys? Is there anything that can't be done on keys that can be done on piano?

Anyone?

You can sing to a piano and it will sing back.
Sympathetic Vibrations FTW
It shouldn't really make a difference, although some of the keyboards I've played aren't weighted and are a little bit smaller than on a piano. I'd imagine it would be like playing a different guitar than you're used to, it takes you a little bit to get used to it, and then you're right back to where you were.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You'd be suprised at how good a high-end keyboard sounds, especially in replication of piano sounds.

I've played high-end keyboards, it's worth switching if you REALLY want to sound like piano otherwise...if you want to play keyboards.. why bother?
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Read my last post....

This is the reason I'm frightened of pianos....

There is no digital instrument that can exactly the original sound of an acoustic instrument.

No matter how similar, there still are tonal differences.

the best keyboard will still be sub-par to the best piano
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Just get a good, weighted keyboard and some good software (like native instrument's akoustik piano), geez... I've got that setup and it's sounding good, man.

Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
There is no digital instrument that can exactly the original sound of an acoustic instrument.

I seriosuly doubt people would hear the difference between me playing on my keyboard with a bechstein piano simulator or on an actual bechstein piano.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Sep 9, 2009,
If your keyboard has weighted keys, and good sampling rates for Piano sounds; then there's no point. A piano usually looks more classy and more stylish; although that depends on what keyboard you have as well, considering that some keyboards are quite stylish themselves.

You could have gotten the exact same thing on google.

Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW

Considering that most well-known, good keyboard manufacturers actually produce Piano's themselves, the sound samples are those of the piano's that they make.
Yamaha, for example, although a very popular brand, and not exactly the very best; but nonetheless are a very good brand when it comes to pianos and keyboards.
I've compared, for example, a Yamaha Clavanova to a Baby Grand; and the sound was almost exactly similar. It was incredibly hard to actually notice the difference.

For that small bit of difference to make you pay a lot more; you would have to be either incredibly stupid, picky, or a very experienced musician.
Last edited by EmancipatedSoul at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by meh!
I've played high-end keyboards, it's worth switching if you REALLY want to sound like piano otherwise...if you want to play keyboards.. why bother?

Well there was no way when I decided on getting some sort of keyboard instrument that I could afford (or fit in my dorm) an actual piano. So I HAD to get a keyboard simply for that reason.

I do want to play piano though....
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Well there was no way when I decided on getting some sort of keyboard instrument that I could afford (or fit in my dorm) an actual piano. So I HAD to get a keyboard simply for that reason.

Then go play the piano, If you have an oppertunity to play it without having to buy it
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
Quote by Kensai
Just get a good, weighted keyboard and some good software (like native instrument's akoustik piano), geez... I've got that setup and it's sounding good, man.

I seriosuly doubt people would hear the difference between me playing on my keyboard with a bechstein piano simulator or on an actual bechstein piano.

most people won't no.

but certain individuals can hear the distinction, especially in higher volumes
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by Vendetta16
Then go play the piano, If you have an oppertunity to play it without having to buy it

Music student friends FTW!
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Well it's not like playing a piano will make you unable to play a keyboard again.

If you have access to one, and you want to play piano, then the choice should be simple? Try it out and if you like it more, stick with it, if you like keyboards more, play keyboards.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Well then, I think there is only one obvious answer left. In the zombie apocalypse, you could properly express your sorrow on a piano, meanwhile your keyboard would be rendered useless without a constant supply of precious batteries or generator power.

Seriously though, you basically already made your case for a nice keyboard rather than a piano. It's just a preference between the acoustic sound vs. the electric "simulation".

Have you formed your zombie plan yet?
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Last edited by PekarGuitar at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by Miniskirt
Well it's not like playing a piano will make you unable to play a keyboard again.

If you have access to one, and you want to play piano, then the choice should be simple? Try it out and if you like it more, stick with it, if you like keyboards more, play keyboards.

True...

Quote by PekarGuitar
Well then, I think there is only one obvious answer left. In the zombie apocalypse, you could properly express your sorrow on a piano, meanwhile your keyboard would be rendered useless without a constant supply of precious batteries or generator power.

Seriously though, you basically already made your case for a nice keyboard rather than a piano. It's just a preference between the acoustic sound vs. the electric "simulation".

Have you formed your zombie plan yet?

I've switched back and forth between keyboard and piano. If your keyboard has 88 keys and they are all weighted, then there isn't a huge difference. If not, then a real piano has a much different feel (better IMO) and is far more expressive. Either way, the piano has a much richer sound than keys, so you should try it out at least once if you've got the chance.