I dont know what I'm doing wrong with it.
As in rythm playing like Hit the lights by metallica or holy wars by megadeth
I can only do it for a second and then it feels like my pick catches.
Hints anyone
Yep
Last edited by elliottmi at Sep 9, 2009,
1. Angle your pick ,tilt your picking hand so your pick is not parralel to the string ,this helps it go up and down easier.
2. Only pick with a very small end of the pick showing ,make sure jsut the tip of the pick is hitting the strings ,less area to hit = faster picking
3. Play on 1 string ,hold 1 note and practice the above techniques until you feel like your doing well ,remeber its all in the wrist ,focus on up and dwon really fast ,small movements ,with your pick quite close to the strings
If you really want to improve your picking and fingering, look into Rock House Hands of Steel dvd.
In the Valley of Vung
It sounds like you are digging the pick in too much.

If you do the things that Joe said you should overcome this problem- but especially pay attention to the actual attack, make sure you're not digging in.

You need to be more "brushing" the strings with it.
You need to be more "brushing" the strings with it.

Yup ,a very light touch is need to pick fast.
Quote by Joe310707
Yup ,a very light touch is need to pick fast.

That's funny: both Shawn Lane and Paul Gilbert pick quite hard when they're going fast.
If you play really fast on a clean channel with weak, half-assed pick strokes, it sounds really weak. ALSO, you need to be able to accent very well in order to play fast.
In fact, I would recommend picking quite hard in general when you play.
Get the riff you're trying to learn, and slow it right down so you can play it perfectly every time. Practise with a metronome and resist the urge to speed up before you're ready. If you still need some help, check out this thread.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
There is absolutely no difference between fast and slow alternate picking. If you do something different, you're doing it wrong. Practice slower. It's all in the wrist. No tension.
Quote by elliottmi
I dont know what I'm doing wrong with it.
As in rythm playing like Hit the lights by metallica or holy wars by megadeth
I can only do it for a second and then it feels like my pick catches.
Hints anyone

Start off slower and build up to the full speed to see what exactly the difference in your technique is when you play faster. Don't forget to practice slowly and speed up to iron it out too.
Last edited by ApeWeevil at Sep 10, 2009,
Get better at playing slower.

Look, if you're trying to play something that's, for argument's sake, 50% faster than you can comfortably play you're going to struggle. Arguably it's goiing to be impossible to do it properly because the whole core of progressing on the guitar is perfecting your movements getting them as economical and controlled as possible. If you suddenly try to make a dramatic jump in the speed of what you play you're doomed to failure because you don't actually know what's required to play that fast, you're just "trying" to play faster and that doesn't work.

However, if you're trying to learn something that's, say, 1% faster than you can already play then that's going to be no problem at all to achieve, it's just a little bit more than you can already do so you only need to improve slightly. There's no shortcuts in guitar, not if you want to be able to play properly - if you wan't to play at a certain speed then you need to be able to play well at every speed below it first.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com