Iv been playing guitar almost ten years now but u would never be able to tell because until recent years i havent practiced properly

im extremely comfortable playing which shows when im on stage but im not an amazingly good guitarist !!!!!

i want to improve so that my ten years have meant something

ANY SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED

i struggle with :
sweeping
playing smoothly ( im rough )
basically i play fine but i want to play stuff thats really impressive !!!!!!!!!!

HELP PLEASE
!!
i have an ancient secret

>.>

<.<

practice.......

not trying to be an ass i am serious
song stuck in my head today

the thing is i do practice a fair bit .
i just sorta get stuck
like theres somethin stoppin me from gettin any better !!!!!
il practice more but then il just be better at the stuff i can already easily do
wont learn anythin impressive

cheeers
thing is with practice it needs to have a point to it, rather than just playing stuff you already know
find out a weakness and focus on that starting off really slowly and building up speed. ur guaranteed to see the improvement
Don't make me sick into my own scorn
____

If ya don't give a sh!t ya getcha hellyeah
Throwin' fists in the pit ya getcha hellyeah
Think you're f~ckin' with this well hell no.
Balls, volume, strength getcha' come on!
Quote by syfg91

ANY SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED
i struggle with :
sweeping
playing smoothly ( im rough )
basically i play fine but i want to play stuff thats really impressive !!!!!!!!!!
Slow down. If you can't play cleanly, you're playing too fast for your current abilities - slow down, get your fretting and picking hands in synch, and let them speed up at their own pace as your accuracy improves.
syfg91, I'd like to suggest you use the backing tracks in "the evolved avo" experiment in this forum... you don't have to join, just use the tracks. Now follow the instructions of the opening post...

You only have 16 bars, therefore you have to challenge yourself to be "impressive". All the tracks are at a set tempo of 120... easy enough to practice sweeping in 16ths. From then onwards you push yourself to hit 16th triplets and so forth.

To play smoothly I would suggest start on 8th notes, generally increase the notes as time goes on. Use dynamics in your playing, no foot pedals allowed in (such as whammy pedals or volume pedals). Use legato in its full capacity with little slurs here and there, sliding in and out of chords, etc etc.

If you can pull the little things off without a hitch, you may just impress yourself without the need of having to impress others. Pure confidence in playing ability is what gets the audience off, not how many notes you crammed in... when you get confident in your playing skills (by focusing on your strengths when you play, focusing on your weaknesses when you practice) you will be your own hero

Thats my suggestion, if it helps... good. If it doesn't, oh well
that was some good advice man
cheers il take a look at the backing track and see what i can do
Quote by syfg91

That's your problem right there, IMO.

If you like what you play, chances are others will be impressed with it.

If there is a particular piece of music you want to play that you consider impressive.... learn it..... practice it .... play it.

If you want to write something that you think is "impressive"...... take the time to work it out and practice it.

In general I would say.... play to enjoy not to impress. If you don't dig what you're doing.... chances are no-one else will.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 10, 2009,
Quote by BluesShredUK
thing is with practice it needs to have a point to it, rather than just playing stuff you already know
find out a weakness and focus on that starting off really slowly and building up speed. ur guaranteed to see the improvement

^I completly agree^
Right now im practacing bar chords and I can hear the difference after a couple of day solid work..
If you're having trouble playing your 'normal' stuff smoothly then you need to go back down to a slower tempo and really focus on how you're moving your hands and fingers. try to keep everything as relaxed as possible, you don't need 10 pounds of pressure to push down a string.

as I've seen in the guitar techniques forum (you should check it out, it's a lot more relevant) the problems people normally have in more advanced stuff is actually due to incorrect technique in the basics. examine the way you fret your notes, the way you pick, the amount of tension in your body, your hand positioning, your hammer-ons and pull-offs, basically anything you can think of and see what needs improving.