I recently recorded an album with my band and would like to have some of the recordings re-mixed and re-mastered with a different sound engineer. To have this done, would the person remastering my recordings need the original single track files from Sonar, or can I just bring in the final mp3s?

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Quote by MrDinkleberry
I recently recorded an album with my band and would like to have some of the recordings re-mixed and re-mastered with a different sound engineer. To have this done, would the person remastering my recordings need the original single track files from Sonar, or can I just bring in the final mp3s?

They'll need all the original tracks. I don't think there's much you can do with just an mp3 file when it comes to remastering.
Yea, the studio/whatever should be able to burn you a few discs with the masters on them - the guy I go to does, just for the hell of it.
Alright, thanks for your help guys.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
For a remix, you'll need the original audio tracks as individual wav files (or to save time, the .cwp project file and folder if the remixer is using Sonar too).

For a remaster, you need a stereo mixdown in the highest quality audio you can get. An mp3 file is absolutely not acceptable. Ideally this should be all your completely finished mixes in the order you want them on the final CD (at maximum bitrate and depth) on a high-quality CD.

If you're unhappy with/want to improve the sound of your recordings, professional remixing will make a vastly more noticeable improvement. The whole point of mastering is really only to make sure the mix sounds good on as many different systems as possible.
Last edited by kyle62 at Sep 9, 2009,