Hey, I'm looking to replace the stock BDSM pickups in my B.C. Rich Warlock. It has a basswood body, Kahler X-Trem bridge, and a 24-fret maple neck. I know the amp sucks but it is what it is, so if your only suggestion is to buy a new amp, and then pickups, don't bother. I'm thinking something high output, I play alot of Big 4 thrash, as well as Trivium, System of a Down, etc. alot of modern and classic heavy metal. I want passives as i don't have the woodworking experience to route out a battery cavity, only the electronics experience to solder the pickups and whatnot. I was thinking about either a Seymour Duncan Invader, Seymour Duncan Distortion, or a Seymour Duncan Full Shred for the bridge, and I have no idea what to go for for a neck pickup but preferably something that will give me a glassy, bright sound with a big low end similar to an EMG 60. I have no real brand loyalties or anything to that effect, so any pickup suggestions would be great. Thanks.
2004 PRS Santana SE w/Duncan JB(b)/Jazz(n)
(cable)
Way Huge Green Rhino Overdrive Mk. II
(cable)
Dunlop KH-95 Kirk Hammett Crybaby
(cable)
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
a new amp will affect your tone greater than new pups
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by GreenburgGibson
Hey, I'm looking to replace the stock BDSM pickups in my B.C. Rich Warlock. It has a basswood body, Kahler X-Trem bridge, and a 24-fret maple neck. I know the amp sucks but it is what it is, so if your only suggestion is to buy a new amp, and then pickups, don't bother. I'm thinking something high output, I play alot of Big 4 thrash, as well as Trivium, System of a Down, etc. alot of modern and classic heavy metal. I want passives as i don't have the woodworking experience to route out a battery cavity, only the electronics experience to solder the pickups and whatnot. I was thinking about either a Seymour Duncan Invader, Seymour Duncan Distortion, or a Seymour Duncan Full Shred for the bridge, and I have no idea what to go for for a neck pickup but preferably something that will give me a glassy, bright sound with a big low end similar to an EMG 60. I have no real brand loyalties or anything to that effect, so any pickup suggestions would be great. Thanks.

TWO WORDS: GET A NEW AMP!!!
but besides that get some emgs
you will notice very little change in tone going from your stocks to those particular pickups. the main difference will be how much gain you're getting from your guitar to your amp, and that amp already has enough to cover modern metal.

What exactly are you looking to get with a pickup change?
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
*facepalm* I get it, Spiders are ****, I know this, trust me, I hate the damn thing but I'm getting a new amp soon, my pickup fund just happened to fill up before my amp fund did. So like I said, if you aren't going to suggest pickups instead of an amp, then don't reply simple as that. Also thanks for the suggestion on the EMGs but I'm not a big fan of their sound beyond the 60's clean sound, besides I'm looking for passives not actives, and IMO EMGs passives are absolute ****.
(cable)
(cable)
(cable)
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Quote by Kivarenn82
you will notice very little change in tone going from your stocks to those particular pickups. the main difference will be how much gain you're getting from your guitar to your amp, and that amp already has enough to cover modern metal.

What exactly are you looking to get with a pickup change?
Sorry for the double post. Better harmonics and sustain are basically what I'm going for, and a tighter high and low end.
(cable)
(cable)
(cable)
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Quote by GreenburgGibson
Sorry for the double post. Better harmonics and sustain are basically what I'm going for, and a tighter high and low end.

well what amp are you buying??
feel free to add me
To the original poster: You are going to have to put it in its own paragraph if you want to start getting suggestions here.

I would suggest passive pickups, because your amp is solid state, but cannot go any further because I do not know what one would sound like one next to another. I know there are DiMarzios that are pretty high output passive pickups.
Last edited by pokeatthedevil at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by pokeatthedevil
Guys, if you are not listening, HE SAID NO NEW AMP. If there is one thing that irks me about this site, it is when someone says THEY DO NOT WANT A NEW AMP.[/rant]

To the original poster: You are going to have to put it in its own paragraph if you want to start getting suggestions here.

I would suggest passive pickups, because your amp is solid state, but cannot go any further because I do not know what one would sound like one next to another. I know there are DiMarzios that are pretty high output passive pickups.

he said he is getting a new amp soon.

i suggest waiting for your new amp TS and if you still dont like your tone then its time to git pups
feel free to add me
Yeah... I spent a while on that rant... Whoever wants to call my fail epic, do it now.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
well what amp are you buying??
Peavey 6505+ half-stack or if I decide I have the patience, a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King with a Marshall 1960A 4x12 cab.
(cable)
(cable)
(cable)
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Clearly since you only have a 15 watt amp you don't play in a band or out of your house. If that's the case, then get ahold of Guitar Rig 3 (it can be found VERY cheap (cheap meaning free)). If your PC speakers suck, then replace them. If not, don't. Spend a little cash on a decent sound card and a cheap preamp. I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and an ART Tube MP preamp. The card is low latency and sounds incredible. Plus, since it's an M-Audio card, it's compatible with Pro Tools and doesn't need any extra hardware. The 2496 is about 100 bucks. The preamp was about 30. So depending on how good your speakers are right now, you could potentially have an "amp" with millions of sound possibilities for right around 130 dollars.

For pickups, get some DiMarzios. Based on your post you play lots of metal, so I'd get the Super Distortion. If you want something a little more mellow then get a Fred. I don't have a ton of experience with other pickups but I did own a guitar with a Seymour Duncan JB/59 combo and was less than impressed. I've never played or owned a guitar with EMG's in it, but I've heard enough recordings that use them to know I don't like them. Like a lot of people I think that actives sound sterile and have a "wall of sound" effect on your tone.

Good luck. Someone will probably come along and disagree with my idea for an amp modeler, but unless you actually need a physical amp, I think that modelers simply can't be beat. The sound possibilities (not to mention cost), make it a no brainier for me.
Quote by Rick540
Clearly since you only have a 15 watt amp you don't play in a band or out of your house. If that's the case, then get ahold of Guitar Rig 3 (it can be found VERY cheap (cheap meaning free)). If your PC speakers suck, then replace them. If not, don't. Spend a little cash on a decent sound card and a cheap preamp. I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and an ART Tube MP preamp. The card is low latency and sounds incredible. Plus, since it's an M-Audio card, it's compatible with Pro Tools and doesn't need any extra hardware. The 2496 is about 100 bucks. The preamp was about 30. So depending on how good your speakers are right now, you could potentially have an "amp" with millions of sound possibilities for right around 130 dollars.

For pickups, get some DiMarzios. Based on your post you play lots of metal, so I'd get the Super Distortion. If you want something a little more mellow then get a Fred. I don't have a ton of experience with other pickups but I did own a guitar with a Seymour Duncan JB/59 combo and was less than impressed. I've never played or owned a guitar with EMG's in it, but I've heard enough recordings that use them to know I don't like them. Like a lot of people I think that actives sound sterile and have a "wall of sound" effect on your tone.

Good luck. Someone will probably come along and disagree with my idea for an amp modeler, but unless you actually need a physical amp, I think that modelers simply can't be beat. The sound possibilities (not to mention cost), make it a no brainier for me.
Thanks, I agree with most people on EMGs, I don't like the tone, its too dead, not enough punch. Actually I am in a band, the Spider III for all its shortcomings manages decent volume for a 15 watt, not enough to gig but enough to be heard over a drumset. And about Guitar Rig 3, I've tried it, I wasn't impressed.
(cable)
(cable)
(cable)
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
since you're getting a 6505 and happen to play metal, i'd suggest something with a good amount of mid hump. pushes the amp better for a more saturated sound. pickups can help in getting your tigher low end but its mainly going to depend on the amp and the speaker cab.. and of course its settings

you can get more info at the official site, but off the top of my head, i'd suggest something like the dimarzio Breed of tone zone.

if it makes any difference, i play lots of metal (death, black, thrash.. etc.. :P) and am gunning to get a Tone zone for the bridge and an air norton for the neck.

Tone zone has tons of mid and bass to push the amp, and the air norton is a little tamer giving a smoother glassier feel.

but above all, i still recommend you getting that 6505 before your pickups not just because the amp you have is a spider, but simply because the 6505 is where you're going to notice the biggest difference in sound as well as your tighter bottom end and crisper highs. If you find that after your amp you're still lacking a certain feel, then by all means upgrade your pickups.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
yeah why not just move the pickup money into your amp fund? trust me, you would rather get the amp first then new pickups to try and polish the turd that is the spider
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.