OK so after deciding that my Peavey Vypyr 30 sounds waaay more digital than I am willing to put up with and considering that I don't play around with all the effects it has, I have decided to get a tube amp. I have enough money to buy anything under 1,000 dollars, but realistically I'd like to spend somewhere between 500-750 dollars on it (Note: I am willing to buy used). The amp will mostly be used for bedroom practice and home recording only, but there is a small chance that it may be used for gigging in the future. I figure that anywhere from 5 to 20 watts is good for these requirements because cranking a tube amp that has more watts than that will be too loud for bedroom practice. For all you tube amp players out there, am I right in this logic, or can I get a higher watt tube amp that still sounds good when it isn't cranked up? As far as amp suggestions go, I am looking into the orange tiny terror, blackheart handsome devil, blackstar ht-5, the bugera v22, and the crate v22 (or v18). Any commentary on the good and bad of these amps would be appreciated, but if you have other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Also, I'm only considering combo versions of the amp if they come in a 1x12 option; otherwise, I will get the head and order an avatar 2x12 cabinet
Gear:
PRS SE Custom
Takamine G Series Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Digitech RP 250

Quote by voodoochild23
The only time I'll dance is if Nickelback caught fire and no one helped.
What genres of music do you play? If you play metal you'll want something much higher wattage than that.

Out of those, for anything up to classic/hard rock, I'd recommend the Bugera V22.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
you might be able to pick up a decent used mesa boogie mark iv amp
Last edited by britishsligean at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by britishsligean
you might be able to pick yp a decent used mesa boogie mark iv amp

its possible but Mark IV's that costs bellow 1000 USDs are very rare.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I thought the mark series amps were all around 60 watts. Can you get a good sound out of those without cranking them?

Also I play alot of different types of genres of rock: classic, modern, alternative, indie, prog, some metal, etc. Mostly I play classic, modern, and alternative rock
Gear:
PRS SE Custom
Takamine G Series Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Digitech RP 250

Quote by voodoochild23
The only time I'll dance is if Nickelback caught fire and no one helped.
Last edited by prsrulz91 at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by prsrulz91
I thought the mark series amps were all around 60 watts. Can you get a good sound out of those without cranking them?

its orgasmic
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
its possible but Mark IV's that costs bellow 1000 USDs are very rare.

Not in Austin. I see a MK IV combo every few weeks for under 1k. Austin is awesome for used gear though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
if you want a 5w amp then i would go for the ht-5. i think at this point ive played most of them that are out on the market, and that one seems the best if you want to go with something like modern/alt/hard rock. i really like the blacksheart for classic rock, but it doesnt really do too much else. the ht-5 can get heavier, and that isf control helps get a wider variety of tones.

i also tried out the egnator rebel 20 a few weeks ago. i really liked that one as well. the wattage control was nice and i didnt really think it killed tone like an attenuator (or not as much anyway). sounded great, and had a chance to turn it up since it was the soundproof room. felt it was good for practicing with the wattage turned down, but at the same time you could easily use it for a gig. bit over your $750 mark new, but it is under a grand so it doesnt strain your upper-upper limit.

i like the crate v18 (or palomino v16) as well, but i dont think it is really going to suit you as well. while i think they sound really nice (palominos were a little better built i think), they really arent the same category. the others have a bit more options and sound at least a bit better. good classic rock amps, and i did consider one myself, but i would rather have the blackheart for that classic rock sound.