My roommate fully believes that all Gibson guitars are handmade, including his studio. I called BS but he remains adamant. When I visited the Gibby factory I saw them turning out Les Paul's on a machine. Was I hallucinating? With Gibson's quality issues, I seriously doubt they are handmade.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
The bodies and necks will be cut from blanks by CNC machines, and the parts are usually sourced from other companies (apart from pickups and maybe strings). They're put together by hand.
Quote by blue_strat
The bodies and necks will be cut from blanks by CNC machines, and the parts are usually sourced from other companies (apart from pickups and maybe strings). They're put together by hand.

Correct, but that does not classify them as "handmade" does it?

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Correct, but that does not classify them as "handmade" does it?

No, it doesn't. If there is more work done by hand other than assembly, then it becomes handmade.

I'd consider PRS guitars handmade. I watched the factory tour on youtube and they do a lot to make sure their guitars are high quality.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
No, it doesn't. If there is more work done by hand other than assembly, then it becomes handmade.

I'd consider PRS guitars handmade. I watched the factory tour on youtube and they do a lot to make sure their guitars are high quality.

Yeah that's what I said. He said my PRS wasn't handmade, but his Gibson was. Even though mine plays about 10x better.

Whatever. I don't really care. It was more about wondering if they are classified as handmade.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Sep 9, 2009,
No hand assembled maybe but not hand made. Just about any production guitar is gonna use this process.
They are not handmade until you get to the oober expensive ones.

The parts are cut from pieces of wood and inspected. There's a line from the Gibson site that says "No two necks on the same type of guitar are alike."

The guitars are hand inspected and put together by hand. Not sure about the pickups though.
Quote by c-rob6422
i say no. but they're still good guitars even though.

Yeah, Gibby still makes some great guitars. You just need to look.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
There's a line from the Gibson site that says "No two necks on the same type of guitar are alike."

Thats because the necks are shaped by hand.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by I am wet
Thats because the necks are shaped by hand.

It's the reason why I will never buy a Gibby online. Off the wall in a store or not at all.
It's all semantics and realizing that the guitar you've loved since you got it is/isn't handmade shouldn't change anything.

But I would say that Gibson aren't handmade, but PRS are closer.
PRS are no more handmade than Gibson. Certain models of each brand will be. Most of the ones that don't cost a major fortune are machine milled and hand put together.
Mr. Collins nailed it.
Last edited by danohat at Sep 9, 2009,
I have a custom handmade guitar. Made with regular shop tools ie planer, drill press, router, hand rasp, etc.

Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by FallsDownStairs

Quite the contrary, PRS guitars are in no way handmade. Less human work goes into making a PRS guitar than a Gibson, yes, even the cheapest of Gibsons. A few years ago there was a single PRS dealer in my town and the owner consistently insisted that PRS guitars were pretty much 100% machine built, and I thought it was BS until I actually chatted with a rep about it and he was actually quite proud of their machine use.

That doesn't mean anything though in terms of quality, the fact that PRS are essentially machine made are one of the reasons for their consistent quality.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 9, 2009,
Why does it matter if a guitar's made by hand or machine? How does that affect anything?
Quote by al112987
Quite the contrary, PRS guitars are in no way handmade. Less human work goes into making a PRS guitar than a Gibson, yes, even the cheapest of Gibsons. A few years ago there was a single PRS dealer in my town and the owner consistently insisted that PRS guitars were pretty much 100% machine built, and I thought it was BS until I actually chatted with a rep about it and he was actually quite proud of their machine use.

That doesn't mean anything though in terms of quality, the fact that PRS are essentially machine made are one of the reasons for their consistent quality.

+1
It doesn't matter anyway. Machine-made just means less prone to human error.