Usually, EQ will be scooped, mids do help with sticking out but bass can be a tone adding instrument for a great deal of metalcore, and clean or distorted will just have to be your choice.

Anyway, you can totally hear the bass in August Burns Red and that should be a good example of a cleaner tone. Architects would be an example of a more distorted tone.

Picks help to, as much as i dont like to admit it the attack that you get from a pick fits pretty well with metalcore imo.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
I EQ the exact opposite in metalcore and it rocks. Mids boosted, highs cut a little, though still maintain full tone and use some sort of tube-preamp overdrive. Low action and dig!

it is an amazing tone in my opinion.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I play metalcore, but I boost mids, up a little bit of high and keep bass the same.
I like how it really cuts through, but still supports the lows for the breakdowns !
Off?

If you have low mids boost them (My b200 does) and you can have a slightly scooped tone without being devoid of mids. Whatever you do, don't scoop your mids too much. I boost mine and it sound really fat. You'll want a lot of bass for chugs, breakdown etc. and maybe boost the treble if you want a little clack. A touch of overdrive might sound nice but don't over do it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
boost your mids and add a little gain
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
Quote by thegiaco2112
high lows, high treble and scoop mids

some overdrive might work

If you want to be heard in the least then this is a bad idea. That's why I said boost low mids if he has then.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Boost lows and high mids. Cut low mids. Keep highs in the middle.
Off. I kid, though you may as well...

Scooped is typical. Boost bass for low frequencies, highs for clank, and remove all your mids, along with any chance of being heard.

But they typical setting sucks.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by cwl
Boost lows and high mids. Cut low mids. Keep highs in the middle.

Probably the best thing I've seen in terms of keeping a Metalcore sound without totally ****ing your tone. At least the high mids would help you cut through a little.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Off?

Quote by m4l666
Off.

Wow, you two are way off. This is how it should be done.

Highs: Around 12 or 1 o'clock.
Mids: About 2 o'clock.
Bass: About 1 o'clock.
Volume: 0

That way the light is still on.

Just kidding, but OP, try those settings (minus the volume of course).
Quote by Alex Vik
Wow, you two are way off. This is how it should be done.

Highs: Around 12 or 1 o'clock.
Mids: About 2 o'clock.
Bass: About 1 o'clock.
Volume: 0

That way the light is still on.

Just kidding, but OP, try those settings (minus the volume of course).

I admit defeat.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
i have boosted lows and highs, and keep mids the same. i use a boss ODB3 with the balance full on OD but gain set to zero to further boost lows/low mids, and also add some crunch and clank without having clicky fizzy trebles.
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
I cut the highs completely, leave the mids alone, and boost the lows as much as I can. It gives a really good metalcore sound, kinda like new Bring Me the Horizon.

EQ would look like
HIGH: -15
MID: 0
LOWS: +15
Quote by sn4x
I cut the highs completely, leave the mids alone, and boost the lows as much as I can. It gives a really good metalcore sound, kinda like new Bring Me the Horizon.

EQ would look like
HIGH: -15
MID: 0
LOWS: +15