Page 1 of 2
A non-slap shred is what I prefer to play. But either sounds cool. I honestly havn't seen many bass shreds in the music I listen to.
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
I don't really like shredding, bass or guitar. I have nothing against playing fast(because it's fun and can be flippin' awesome at the right times) but the mindless shredding most people think of as shredding gets annoying quick.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Closest I know to bass shred is Wooten and Sheehan. They're alright, but not my thing.

For some reason, I really dislike both of their tones.
Quote by maXterbat0r
Closest I know to bass shred is Wooten and Sheehan. They're alright, but not my thing.

For some reason, I really dislike both of their tones.

I saw Sheehan at a music store in N.J. doing a clinic. I had no idea who he was prior to receiving the flier....it was still cool.
He's no good to me dead-Boba Fett
I guess Arif counts as shred.
Hes still awesome either way.

And yeah Sheelan sounds like a guitar and Wooten sounds like a fart.

I like Steve D's stuff personally.
Cliff Burton was cool too.
when I have my headphones plugged into my multi pedal, I like to be a wank and super shred random notes with distortion I wouldn't put the rest of the household through what I hear though

But if they can pull it off without sounding terrible, I don't care. I don't know any good songs with shred, unless you can't Anesthesia. Which I don't like all that much anyways :P
eh, Arif isn't really shred at all...

speaking of which, I'm not really into shred.

I saw a cool shred video of the bassist from The Mars Volta doing shred with some drummer (it was just them two jamming or something. It was pretty weird because if I remember correctly he was using a pick, which I'm not too familiar with in bass shred).
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Its cool ... but i'm really picky about it.

Sweeping on a bass is generally what i have problems with, it can sound too much like *gobble gobble* and that bothers me enough for me to not like it.

But stuff like the intro for The Ancient Covenant by The Faceless is cool, the vid that Aidonius posted was pretty incredible too considering how much time i spent just looking at his fingers move.

So, its cool and pretty impressive but i'd enjoy a tapping solo or something more, PtH does that well from what ive heard.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quote by Thegian
Its cool ... but i'm really picky about it.

Sweeping on a bass is generally what i have problems with, it can sound too much like *gobble gobble* and that bothers me enough for me to not like it.

But stuff like the intro for The Ancient Covenant by The Faceless is cool, the vid that Aidonius posted was pretty incredible too considering how much time i spent just looking at his fingers move.

So, its cool and pretty impressive but i'd enjoy a tapping solo or something more, PtH does that well from what ive heard.
*looks at earlier post*
Gotta agree.
Quote by lordofthefood1
I saw a cool shred video of the bassist from The Mars Volta doing shred with some drummer (it was just them two jamming or something. It was pretty weird because if I remember correctly he was using a pick, which I'm not too familiar with in bass shred).

The dude in the Mars Volta is Juan Alderete, to which one thing comes to mind. Scarified.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOW_-OESnq0

And to stay on topic, I do enjoy bass shred from time to time. Especially if its done well and doesnt sound like a pack of wild turkeys drowing.
the guy from necrophagist can shred pretty well. its mainly tap as far as i know.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
never really hear any, but i know john myung could shred something fierce and wouldnt mind hearing some of it
Quote by Casketcreep
Do any genuine bassists like shred though?

I always kinda assumed that it was guitarists who picked up the wrong instrument by mistake and hadn't noticed.

Depends what you mean by genuine bassists. If I recall correctly, Burton never played guitar and played bass because his brother played bass before he died.
Quote by Casketcreep
Burton never shredded though.
Sure he had fast riffs, but it could never be called shred.

And isn't Burton more famous for his nice clean parts like Orion and such?

As well the next solo in the song, and pulling teeth, and for the distortion, and you know ... for being in metallica.

Also, i'm pretty sure that every bassist mentioned in this topic plays fingerstyle so the guitarist picked up the wrong instrument thing dosnt really work.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quote by Casketcreep

He added some nice bass fills to some albums. But I don't know if he could shred like les claypool or something. But he taught James and Kirk how to play melodic (if you listen to master of puppets or something the guitar solos are pretty melodic for thrash metal), that was all cliff right there.
Gear:
ESP LTD ALEXI-600
Dunlop DB-01 Dimebag Crybaby From Hell
Digitech RP-90
Marshall MG250DFX

24/7
Yeah, Les Claypool can be a spotted ripping it up with his fingers in a few videos, including one back in 87 or so. Probably my favourite.

Which totally disproves the whole "Cliff was better than Les when he died!" not that they're even comparable anyway...
They play entirely different styles, so it wouldn't be a fair argument anyway.

I think Tweekers is a good example of the type of solos les plays (With Primus at least)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFPQAem8Yb8
It's around 3.30

It's fast, it's impressive, but also has that jocular air about it, like he doesn't want to write a serious solo, so he'll write a funny one.
Quote by Casketcreep

I'd call the intro to this shredding.
^The Distorted intro to that song is fantastic. Rob should do that, but keep his performance the same as he has been for the other songs :p
Quote by Alex Vik

that was one giant fart.
damnit, orion is great, but this just sucks
thank god they have rob now
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Cliff Burton and Steve Harris (I guess). And the For Whom The Bell Tolls Intro Solo seemed to sound like a fart beause of the wah, the distortion by itself would have sufficed.
This dude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFcw8BDAmRc
Check 20 seconds in.

I'd never heard of "A Wilhelm Scream" before, but I saw them opening for a gig & their bassist was insane! The whole show consisted of him waving his bass & his crotch in your face.
Some Bass Gearage:
*Black ESP LTD F-404 Bass (w/ Tribal Inlays! )

*Ashdown MAG-600 Amp Head
*Ashdown ABM 410T Cab (4X10)
*Acoustic B115 Cab (1X15)
*Sansamp Bass DI
Billy Sheehan
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
omg i can not get enough of arif mirabdolbaghi and pth
I LOVE IT

cliff burton was the original hero tho
i look for more lead bassists i call it then shredders

i also attepted learning some randy rhoads solo's it actually wasnt that bad i just didnt practice them very much
but i learnt them on my bass :p

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Alex Vik

i have seen that video sooooooo many times
and it STILL amazes me
im going to sound it out and play it one day
i always meant to

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Not a fan of it. Players like Burton and players like Wooten just don't interest me. Sure, Vic is ****ing amazing when he grooves, but when he just goes off, there's no musical aspect to it, he's just showing off how fast he can play.

That being said, it's always fun to do a bit of mindless wankery when practicing at home.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Bass shredding? Doesn't get much better than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkwvOKh05mQ

I seem to remember there being a NPS thread (notes per second) akin to the fastest guitarist list in the 80's shred and progressive etc forum, but with bassists. I believe Classical Thump by Victor Wooten was on top of that list.

What's some other stuff.. check out Skitzo or Fritter Boy by Adam Nitti, there are some pretty intense bass sweeps.

And don't forget some rather delicious Jaco moments like the solo in Port of Entry by Weather Report or Chromatic Fantasy, Donna Lee... the list goes on. Kind of questions your understanding of "shredding" though. Does just playing fast suffice?
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Last edited by Gsaws at Sep 11, 2009,
Page 1 of 2