Hello everyone,
I am currently playing a Krank Rev Pro Jr.
I have been thinking about getting a tube overdrive pedal.

Can anyone suggest a good tube overdrive for death/black metal??
Tube pedals are all gimmicks. 9V will not run a tube properly. Just save some money and get yourself a good overdrive.
Do you mean an overdrive pedal with a tube in it or a tube overdrive pedal like the Digitech Bad Monkey?
Quote by Matt420740
Tube pedals are all gimmicks. 9V will not run a tube properly. Just save some money and get yourself a good overdrive.

Ok, you are not right. A tube power pedal is more responsive and has more deepness, and also, most tube pedals run their tubes at high plate voltages (250-300v) and not at 9v. Now, a pedal is not necessarily better because it has a tube in it, there are great SS overdrive pedals too.
The Blackstar HT-pedals are amazing, the tubes really do make a difference. They're not all gimmicks. The Vox Cooltron pedals are, I had one of those and it made hardly any difference.

Try a HT-Drive if you want a tube one, if you just want a normal overdrive go with a Tubescreamer, OCD, SD1 or a Bad Monkey.
Quote by Sguit
Ok, you are not right. A tube power pedal is more responsive and has more deepness, and also, most tube pedals run their tubes at high plate voltages (250-300v) and not at 9v. Now, a pedal is not necessarily better because it has a tube in it, there are great SS overdrive pedals too.

Most tube pedals don't even have enough space inside to house the transformers and circuitry that is involved in transforming wall voltage into 250-300v. You show me one tube pedal that has 250-300v on the plates. Because I can show you plenty that run on 9v - 12v. Which is not enough to properly run a tube. For instance all of Electro-Harmonix's tube pedals are 9 or 12V. The Ibanez Tube King claims to have high plate voltage, but if you pay attention to the details you'll see that it has only a 12v power adapter. Also look at this.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Electro-Harmonix-Classics-LPB-2ube-Stereo-Tube-Preamp-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-153326-i1124722.gc

Electro claims it has 300v plate voltage in the description, but if you look closely at the power supply, you'll see it is rated at 12v 1000mA. You just don't get 300v from a 12v 1000 mA power supply. Hence why I said its a gimmick. More like just a straight out lie.
Quote by Matt420740
Most tube pedals don't even have enough space inside to house the transformers and circuitry that is involved in transforming wall voltage into 250-300v. You show me one tube pedal that has 250-300v on the plates. Because I can show you plenty that run on 9v - 12v. Which is not enough to properly run a tube. For instance all of Electro-Harmonix's tube pedals are 9 or 12V. The Ibanez Tube King claims to have high plate voltage, but if you pay attention to the details you'll see that it has only a 12v power adapter. Also look at this.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Electro-Harmonix-Classics-LPB-2ube-Stereo-Tube-Preamp-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-153326-i1124722.gc

Electro claims it has 300v plate voltage in the description, but if you look closely at the power supply, you'll see it is rated at 12v 1000mA. You just don't get 300v from a 12v 1000 mA power supply. Hence why I said its a gimmick. More like just a straight out lie.

+1

There are numerous articles which review and explore tube pedal on the interwebz, and all of them have come to the conclusion that no tube pedal is able to exploit the full potential of the 12AX7 in the pedal.

To TS, I have the same amp as you do, and you only need the Fulltone OCD running on 18v to get the Krank Rev Jr Pro churning out magical tones.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.