I'm planning on buying one, except for the fact that I've been hearing about its durability.

Apparently it shuts down at random times, and sme other minor errors within the amp.

I've used three different amps, two of them which are Starter amps, and a Roland Micro Cube amp.

I know every amp has its flaws, but my amps have been working greatly at my service, except I gave away one of the starter amps.

I need to know a bit more about its durability, I've tried one, it's great, except for the fact that it breaks down easily.
Let me know.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
If I were you I'd set my goals higher. You've had a number of smaller amps before, I imagine you have one good enough for practice now, why not go ahead and start saving a budget for a tube-driven half stack?

Maybe thats not what you want, that just what'd I'd do. I see the vypr as just kind of a waste of time.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Hmm, I'm mainly going for it, because of its distortion sound it produces, along with the many effects it offers.
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Try a line 6 valve, comes in 1x12, 2x12, and a 4x10 cab and head.

sweetness
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor

sweetness

I've heard a few people say the Tube Vypyrs are on equal or better footing with the Spider Valves.

I'd try out a Vypyr Tube, they seem to be a bit more reliable than the solid state Vypyrs.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Hmm, the 60 does sound better, except it's a bit more pricy than the 75 solid state.

It's worth it though right?
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Vypor

sweetness

I would also recommend this, I just bought one and love it (I had a Mesa Triple Recto, so thats how good it is)

And I have a friend who is in the band Frequency 54 and they are touring the USA with em, and have never had anyproblems.... plus check out how good their sound is!!!!!
Made in Detroit
Guitars, Guns, Cars, Beer, and Women... This is what makes real men happy.
If you're paying money for the Tube Vyper, I'd just get a tube amp. I played the Vyper tube and it sounded bad. Very cold and sterile, not much of an improvement from the SS version. The Spider Valve, however, I found fantastic.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by whoahesgood
Hmm, the 60 does sound better, except it's a bit more pricy than the 75 solid state.

It's worth it though right?

If you like the sound of the Vypyr than just go for it...just because someone tells you a tube-driven halfstack is what you should be saving for doesn't mean it's right for you. Yes, perhaps it might be worth your money to shell out for a higher-end amp, but perhaps not. It depends on a lot of things: what are you going to use the amp for, how loud will you be playing it on a consistent basis, what features does it need to have, what price range does it need to fit in, do you like the way is sounds?

If you can match an amp up with questions like that, it doesn't matter if it's a Soldano triple full stack or a 5watt SS practice amp. If it suits you and it satisfies what you need in an amp, who gives a flip about what anyone else thinks?
Quote by jc349
If you're paying money for the Tube Vyper, I'd just get a tube amp. I played the Vyper tube and it sounded bad. Very cold and sterile, not much of an improvement from the SS version. The Spider Valve, however, I found fantastic.

Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The 75 watt Vypyr problems are usually fixed with a firmware update. I've never had any major problems with mine.
Quote by jc349

My thoughts exactly.

But TS, if you like how it sounds, I'd go for it. Most people don't have problems with it, I have, but that's my personal experience.
spider valve 112's are $399 now, try that amp as well.

I don't think the effects on the vypyr or spider valve are all that good, but until you get to the higher end line 6 stuff, it's what you get.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Personally i think you should ask yourself how much you're willing to pay, and then after you've set yourself a generalized budget go look at amps that you're interested in that fit that budget. Find some local stores that carry your amps of interest, take your guitar with you (so that using another guitar won't deceive you on how it will sound when you get home) and then let your ear be the judge. I bought a Vypyr Tube 60 watt because I was pleased with the tone and i liked the accessibility of being able to directly plug my ampminto a computer for the recording process. Sure the tone of each modeled amp isn't exactly how it would sound, but it's close enough for me to be able to record it and fix the tone to a precise sound when i run the EQ through the recording software (ACID Pro 7.0). But let your ears be the judge, and just because it's not $3000 dollars doesn't mean it's not good.
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/FoxEncounter/johnpetrucci.jpg[/img]
I'm gonna teach you.... how to snap your arm in.... 5 places...
The valve 112 isn't in my price range.
My price range right now is anything below 500 with tax.
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
I think my Vypyr 15 is the best $100 amp you can find. I can't say if that scales to the Vypyr 75, but if tone+fx+watts is the issue I think you will get your money's worth.
The Vypyr 75 is a good amp. Don't listen to the stuff about it being "cold and sterile", it's not.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yeah, I've tried the 75.
Everyone has their own opinions on sound that gets produced.

I think it sounds great.

I just haven't tried a Vypyr 60 Tube one yet..
I'll probably get a 60.
Anyone have any reviews of their own they can quickly write down?
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Hang on a second, I wrote one for UG.
Keep in mind, this is for the 75.

EDIT:
Features: The amp was most likely made this year (2008) in China. The amp has 12 models with 2 channels each, and yes it is very versatile. Blues to metal in the flick of a button. It has a USB recording out, but it is a USB B on the amp, instead of a "normal" USB A, so you'll need a special cable for recording. Updates are downloaded via MIDI which is another $30-40 dollars for a USB to MIDI cable. It doesn't need any effects pedals except for one of the sanpera foot controllers (1 and 2 are $80 and $180 respectively). It's got a blue marvel speaker, which isn't too great but is better than some speakers. It has 22 different effects (all editable) but a few of them are A) unusable without a Sanpera (the looper and pitch shifter, as well as the wah) or B) sound pretty bad (Octaver, MOG-which is a dual octaver, and the reverser). Most of the effects sound pretty good though, my favorites being the fuzz and the chorus effects. // 10
Sound: I'm using an Epiphone Les paul that is completely stock. I play anything from blues to shred to metal, and this amp easily covers them all. The clean channels on the lower gain side of the amp (Twin, Deluxe, Plexi, Brit, Bad Cat, and Classic) have pretty high headroom. Much better than (formerly) my VS30R(which now that I think about it wasn't actually that bad). The Distortion is basically as high as you want it (Diezel, Krank, Recto, 505, JSX, and Triple XXX), or as low (the plexi is particularly good for hard rock and bordering-on-breakup blues rock). // 10

Reliability & Durability: The amp has not been updated yet to firmware version 1.53, so there are some booting-related problems. It has never simply cut out on me though. I can completely trust this amp for a gig... it's by far loud enough, and it easily gets over a drummer. There are no tubes to service because it is solid state (though there are two tube versions). With solid states, there really isn't too much to break down on short notice (except for the fuse). // 8

Impression: I play anything, and this works fine. I own an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I've been playing upwards of two years. I don't think there's anything I wished I asked. If it were stolen, I'd buy another and drop it on the thief's chest (it weighs about 30-35 lbs) then take my original back. I don't like the booting problems and the extra $125 or so you have to spend on it to make it perfect. I wish it had a better speaker, but they can be bought relatively cheaply. I compared it to a Spider 75, and this beat it out by a ton; spiders sound much more digital (because they use digital distortion) and don't have the processing power of the Vypyr, which I think has a 32 bit floating point SHARC® processor for the effects only. // 9
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Sep 10, 2009,
99% of the Vypyr issues are bad solder points (Talked to the tech when I took mine in for service). This can be rectified by your local Peavey warranty center. Peavey is GREAT about warranty work. They WILL absolutely fix it for free. Buy the amp, you're safe. Don't stress. It's a 5 year warranty too.
Just say no to the Spider Valve. It's nothing but a Spider III with a tube power section. Same as the Peavey, only the Peavey sounds MUCH better.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Just say no to the Spider Valve. It's nothing but a Spider III with a tube power section. Same as the Peavey, only the Peavey sounds MUCH better.

Hmm, alright, thanks for the help.

I'll choose between the 75 or the 60.
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
I have a Peavey Vypyr 75watt and it sounds great (for the price) and i've never had any issues, except one time no sound was coming out, but that's because i had my guitar volume down haha but its great, but if u can get some more money there are better amps
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
fwiw samash stores have the spider valve 112s for 399. also you can get $50 off. its probably the same at gc, i havent checked there but usually itss like that. just so you know. vypyr at that wattage, ide go 60tube. try as many as you can.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The Peavey Vypyr 75 and 60 are manufactured in China right?
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by whoahesgood
The Peavey Vypyr 75 and 60 are manufactured in China right?

Yes; Peavey's China facilities tend to be quite good though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Hmm..Wish they would sell American Made here...

But they're more expensive.

O well, Chinese made, can't be bad.
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
I have a vypyr 75, and it went smoothly for about 5 months.
Then one day it suddenly broke down and wouldnt turn on at all. But you dont have to worry because Peavey will always try and fix your amp.
whoa in answer about the 60, i went to a guitar center myself to choose between the 60 or the 75. everytime i dialed a tone right beside each other the same settings the biggest difference between the sounds was a) volume, as a tube will always be louder. and b) the tone was just a little bit warmer. more balls to it if you will. I chose to go with the 60 and i'm satisfied. It's not quite as beautiful as a pure tube amp, but it does what I need it to.
Last edited by JackWylde at Sep 13, 2009,
Hmm, 60 it is.

The things I liked between the two.
The 75 has a more technological look to it.
The 60 looks like an older version.
[Just my opinion]

How much is the 60?
In USD.

Or Canadian.
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Guitar Center sells them for $420 USD, but you can haggle them down to at least $380. Just don't forget to keep up maintenance with your tubes. Enjoy it, I enjoy mine.