So I got a fender deluxe jazz bass cause of the great deal. I've always liked the growl of a jazz bass but my fender just can't handle the drop tunings. I play in drop C a lot, and it seems that anything below standard tuning just makes a horrible buzz. I've had it adjusted 3 or 4 times and the frets sanded and neck straightened. Is there a way to fix this or do I have to just bail and get a different style bass? input is welcome.
what gauge strings are you using? I've seen a Jazz in drop F# before so it's not the bass.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
i'm using a little bit above middle gauge strings. would heavier gauges make it sound better?
get it set up at a shop. tell them to raise the action then get new strings of a high gauge put on. That should solve the problem. Its definitely not the bass.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
wait.... i'm confused. i took it to the shop asked them to fix the buzz and they lowered the action. why does the action even affect the buzz? i thought it just affected the pressure needed to produce sound.
Get it setup for said tuning.
Quote by Box 0 Wine
wait.... i'm confused. i took it to the shop asked them to fix the buzz and they lowered the action. why does the action even affect the buzz? i thought it just affected the pressure needed to produce sound.

You took it to a crappy shop?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by gilly_90
what gauge strings are you using? I've seen a Jazz in drop F# before so it's not the bass.
... whoa...

But yeah, bigger strings, action adjustment, so forth.

Quote by Box 0 Wine

If the action is too low it can slap against the fret whenever you play, which sounds unpleasant. And depending on where it is, like at the 1st fret or whatever, it can make a God-awful buzzing noise when you play it because it's too low.
Last edited by Steve08 at Sep 9, 2009,
ok I can do that. one last question. If i get it set up for drop C tuning and I play standard tuning, would that that not agree with the set up. put that in the form of a question
No. You can play it in standard tuning, the action would just be higher. Nothing wrong with that.

When I play in Drop C. I actually prefer a little bit of clacking of the strings.
Think slap tone, but not as much.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

I recommend using your previous bass for the standard tuning...This will accomplish many things, i.e. intonation, action, string life, and playability.

IMO, you shouldn't be using a 20 fret bass for drop C, unless you're playing Staind...Even then. I assume, from the drop C tuning, you play some harder stuff. This genre relies on a pushed, breathing low end, not a "fender" low end, which is more placed in the low mids.

But, don't listen to my opinion after you've bought a Fender...You're on my hit list now!
(alas, another bassist led astray...)
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
nothing wrong with Fenders
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

nothing too right with them either...it's all a cavalcade of mediocrity. But then again, i have been against those bumper basses since I started playing.
Anyways, TS...like I stated before, use your previous bass for the standard tuning...Plus, having one for that purpose will ease unnecessary tension off of your new bass.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
^What, every Fender? Somehow, methinks not.

Nic Oliveri used a J tuned to C, in the early QOTSA days. So there's no reason to believe it won't do C. Try using the bottom four strings off a 5-string set, that way your 'C' will be something like a 125-130 gauge. It'll stand up better, and not flap about. Get a decent guitar shop to set it up like that.
Quote by creepingjesus73
^What, every Fender? Somehow, methinks not.

Nic Oliveri used a J tuned to C, in the early QOTSA days. So there's no reason to believe it won't do C. Try using the bottom four strings off a 5-string set, that way your 'C' will be something like a 125-130 gauge. It'll stand up better, and not flap about. Get a decent guitar shop to set it up like that.

I would say take a 5 string set and discard the E string- then you're just dropping the other strings by a step, as opposed to raising them by 2 steps.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I would say take a 5 string set and discard the E string- then you're just dropping the other strings by a step, as opposed to raising them by 2 steps.

Let me get this right - out of a set designed to tune to B-E-A-D-G, you're recommending taking the E. As tempting as it is, to take the E, surely dropping the A to F etc., would cause low tension problems.
Not to mention the jump in gauge. The 5-set could go 45-65-80-100-130 (for example), therefore the 4-set you propose would be 45-65-80-130. I'd bet that would feel a bit awkward.
You can have your E, I'll take a G-string off...

no.

Drop C tuning is CGCF

take the E away from BEADG and:

B goes up half a step to C, and the following are dropped a step as follows:

A-> G
D-> C
G-> F

as opposed to moving E, A and D UP by two whole steps, causing a f*ckload of tension. Dropping a step is hardly going to cause low tension problems.
C-G-C-F. I hadn't counted on that. I tend to tune a bass in straight 4ths.
I use C-F-A#-D# on my BTB with no problems, on a 110 4-string set. I doubt it's a peculiarity of the BTB's 35" scale - although the extra inch is nice - so yeah, low tension probly won't be a problem. My bad.
But, if I were to use a 5-set minus the G, in my tuning, that would still only be a semitone up all round. Hardly a big deal now.
And I'll still have an even graduation of string sizes, with no 0.050" jumps!